Anyone Using a PEN with RAW and Lightroom? (Images now added)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DekHog, Jul 1, 2011.

1. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    I did some product shots yesterday with the E-PL2 and shot them in RAW then processed in LR. How much NR do people find they normally have to apply in Lightroom 3 to well lit, well exposed images at ISO200?
  2. Covey22

Covey22 Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2011
    New England, USA
    E-PL1 with ORF and LR 3.4 here.

I have not had to process any photos with NR, even the high ISO ones I generated during a shoot-out between the GF2 and the PL1.
  3. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Hmm, I was pretty shocked to find I had to turn the NR in LR up to 70..... and this with well exposed images with no shadows to talk about. They looked fine at screen size, but when viewed at 100%..... :eek:
  4. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    I have been using 0-30 but I am not too noise sensitive. Increasing NR reduces fine detail, and that is more of an issue for me.

I would judge the images by how you intend to use them. So don't view at 100% unless that's what the finished image will be seen at.

As far as printing goes, try three samples with NR at 0, 30, 100 just to see if you can tell the difference.
  5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I shoot the EP1 mostly, and there is noise even at low ISO. I am also not very noise sensitive, but I do use NR in LR past ISO 800, usually around 30-50. I also find adjusting the levels helps. I have a profile with a more "S" like curve and other adjustments, which help colors and blacks saturate a bit better.
  6. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Hey Dek,

Have a look at Nik noise reduction software. I haven't personally used it but am very considering getting myself a copy. The fact you can so selectively pick where the noise is reduced with the upoint is pretty cool. That might help you out in minimizing some of the NR soften that happens with other products.

Generally speaking, you shouldn't have any or very little at ISO200.. probably not until 800 unless it was a very dim lit photo.

You can always post a jpg along with 100% crop section of it and get some feedback from fellow PEN shooters.
  7. Covey22

Covey22 Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2011
    New England, USA
    I use Nik Dfine for my NR, previously it was Noise Ninja. Since I'm mostly shooting the 20mm/1.7, I'm rarely above ISO 800. However, what little noise I see at ISOs higher than that is not objectionable given the output formats I use (mostly web with occasional 8x10 hardcopy). Viewing it at 100% is really more of a pixel peep - try
    looking at it in final display resolution from the expected viewing distance.
  8. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
    I use LR3, with both my E-600 and E-P1. I've noticed more noise with the images from my E-P1 than the E-600. Even at ISO 200. I do use more noise reduction, but still not a significant amount.

I was surprised at how much more noise the E-P1 had, even though it seems to have better overall IQ.
  9. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Thanks to all for the replies...... but....

Sorry guys, my bad - my Lightroom zoom was set to 2:1 not 1:1 (idiot, I know). :tongue:

It's a bit of a fine balancing act, as they will end up around 6ft long in some cases!! All shot under fluorescent lights as well using auto WB! :biggrin:

Anyway, original and some crops to show the difference below.....

100% crop with no NR

100% crop with NR

Now what I was viewing....

200% crop with no NR

200% crop with NR
    • Like Like x 1