1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone using a Benro A-0690 Travel Angel Tripod?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by So Thankful, Oct 12, 2015.

1. So Thankful

So Thankful Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2015
    Midwest
    Hello everyone,
    I was wondering if anyone had experience with the Benro A-0690 Travel Angel Tripod?
    B&H has a great price on it. I was looking at the MeFoto Backpacker (which is made by Benro I think) and they seem quite similar but the Backpacker's center column does not move whereas the Travel Angel's does.
    The Travel Angel is significantly less expensive than the Backpacker as well.
    Just wanted to see if anyone here has one?

2. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

I don't have that exact model but from what I can see it is just a slightly lighter, slightly shorter version of the A1690T, which I do have. I keep it as a back-up to my CF tripod but did use it as my primary light travel tripod for a couple of years. The tripod itself was pretty good and could fit in my carry-on rollaboard bag for air travel but also extended enough for my 6'-5" height with only a little bending. It isn't the most sturdy tripod I have ever used and the legs are a bit flimsy at the bottom but it was ok for travel. The one thing I didn't like was the ball head, which is not Arca-Swiss compatible. I swapped it out with a RRS head.

Benro makes good, solid gear specifically for travel purposes. For the money, I don't think you can do much better.

• Like Like x 1
  3. So Thankful

So Thankful Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2015
    Midwest
    Thanks for your response. I found the tripod you mentioned on Amazon. Did it come with a carry bag?

4. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

Yes. I rarely use it when traveling but it makes a nice storage container.

5. rpringle

rpringle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2014
    I have the Benro A-069M8 with BH-00 head which I believe is the same as the one you are referencing. It's discontinued by the manufacturer as far as I know, I bought mine for $170 new a few years ago. It's a nice tripod for travel as it packs up small, it's light, and unfolds for almost full size. It's only slightly shorter than eye level for me and I'm about 6 foot. It doesn't have the bells and whistles of newer tripods such as the mefoto but it does have the ability to invert the center column for macro work and the leg joints are sealed. This was important for me because I use it at the beach and in marsh lands where sometimes my tripod legs are in the water or jammed in the sand. The legs are still tight as the day I bought it, it does have a bit more vibration than my large manfrotto but that thing weighs close to 10 pounds.

There are newer options that might give you more features such as mefoto can second as a monopod, or newer manfrotto tripods have the center column that can mounted horizontally. That said I haven't felt the need to upgrade. My one other word of advice is if you get a benro you might want to invest in a better head, the BH-00 isn't great. I have a manfrotto 496RC2 on mine, with 5 axis IS I don't use it much unless I'm taking night photos. Mine came with a carry case which sits in the closet.