1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone using a 50mm f2 R Summicron?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by SRHEdD, Jun 27, 2012.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Just wondering if an adapted Leica R lens should be on my list of considerations. The 50 f2 is usually available for a reasonable price.

2. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I've never used one but I've seem some impressive photos coming from it mounted on a Canon DSLR. My understanding is that it renders color very naturally and creates beautifully smooth out if focus areas. It doesn't give the 3D pop you get from the Zeiss 50/2, but wide open it's just as sharp.

3. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    If you already own one, then by all means go ahead and use it, but I wouldn't go out and buy one just because it's a Leica. I have multiple 50's from Nikon, Olympus and the Leica R Summicron. While the results are quit good, the Leica is very heavy and painfully slow to focus do to the amount of focus ring rotation travel required. It does not quickly "snap" into focus like the Nikons or OM's. My personal favorite legacy 50 is the OM 50/1.4

4. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    Portugal
    I would not waste my money in that lens just because it is a Leica. Almost all lenses in that range are awesome. For a fraction of the price you can get a faster and (and better?) lens from Olympus or Pentax.

5. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I have the Summicron M 50/2. It's smaller and can be found for the same $350 I've seen R lenses selling for. I like it. I'll probably never sell it. If I didn't already have it, I'd rather spend $400 on the Olympus 45/1.8.

Fred

6. newbie

newbie Mu-43 Regular

Mar 24, 2012
    Have you been taken a photo by Summicron R 50mm or a Leica lens? I sure that it is solid but completely not "very heavy and painfully slow to focus".:smile:

7. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I have taken photo's with it in the past, but I rarely use it now. To focus from near to infinity is about 300 degrees on the focus ring. The OM 50/1.4, from near to infinity is about 180 degrees on the focus ring. The OM + the adapter weight about the same as the R 50/2 without the adapter.

Here's a photo of the 50R Summicron mounted on my P2, next to it are the Leica Vario Elmar R 28-70 zoom and the Leitz R 135/2.8 Elmarit.

8. McBob

McBob Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2012
    I have a bunch of Leica-R glass... probably more than my day rate justifies.

My 50 Cron (1970 model - they've made that lens since 1962, so several iterations exist) is one of my favorite 50's (also own a OM 50/1.4, OM50/1.8, Vivitar 50/1.7, Micro-Nikkor 55/2.8, and I think a couple others). Yes, the focus wheel goes around seemingly forever, but it's very smooth, very easy to declick (I shoot mostly video), very sharp, great contrast and color, and doesn't need any sort of hood due to its deep-set front element. It can adapt to just about any DSLR system I use down the road and it focuses in the "proper direction."

I've never sat down and had a GH2 legacy 50's shootoff, and probably never will... I just use what feels good at the time.