1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone used Tonality as a plugin for Apple Photos?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by bigboysdad, Oct 12, 2015.

1. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Also, are there any other worthwhile plugins that anyone uses with Apple Photos? After having a quick play with Photos when it first came out, there was no way I was going to consider it a Lightroom/Aperture replacement, but it was said that it would attract plugins and seeing Tonality available for it is, I think, a good start.

2. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    I have the Tonality app on my iMac, but not the plugin I think. I haven't tried any processing in Photos yet.

I'm sure I haven't got the hang of black & white processing yet, but Tonality sometimes gives me options I wouldn't have come up with manually in PS.

3. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I just installed Tonality and have used it, briefly, as an extension in Photos. It works pretty flawlessly. I like all of the options for processing in B&W. This may get me to switch to RAW+jpg so that I can shoot in B&W but process the RAW in Tonality. I have PS, but it just doesn't have the ease of use that I would like.

Here are the two images I processed with Tonality right after installing it:

22152420435_2e58754a29_b.
    Oly 14-42II

22140230772_2f65509017_b.
    Super-Takumar 50 1.4

• Like Like x 1
  4. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    It seems to be working just as well on Photos as it does on Lightroom. Very important that more plugins get made available for Photos.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    How are you all finding out about these plugins? I do a search for, "Apple Photos plugins" and come up with nothing new.

You would think Apple would have a repository set aside for these to all be available in one place.

6. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    i found out from the OP of this thread!

7. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I believe it's called the Mac App Store.

8. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    P.S. it was only with the El Capitan OS X that third party photo editing extensions for Photos became supported. El Capitan is only about a week old, so don't expect too many extensions just yet.

But we can expect plenty to come. It's really interesting.

9. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Correct, it was only because it flashed up as available when I was in the App Store, would never have known about it otherwise, nor does there seem to be much at all online at the moment as regards plugins for Photos.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    P.S. early this morning I installed the MacPhun Creative Kit including Tonality Pro and several other photo apps. I was intrigued that the installer searched my computer for apps that it can install plugins to, and located LR, but didn't mention Photos on the list of apps that it searched for. Perhaps Photos extensions work 'automatically'? I assume it doesn't mean that they don't work with Photos: TNcasual already has Tonality up and running as an extension, and flawlessly to boot.

I shall investigate when I get home tonight, time permitting.

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Well I had to upgrade to El Capitan first. Also to make the extension work you have to set it up in System Preferences. Maybe since Photos is a "system" application, it would allow the auto-syncing of the extension.

12. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I will say that my 6 year old iMac is getting near its limits processing in Photos, Tonality and PS. I really would like it to last a good while longer.

Hey, the beach ball of death changed in El Capitan!

13. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Don't even get me started! That's worth a thread by itself.

14. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    update: I now have Photos extensions inbuilt and working for Tonality, Noiseless, Snapheal, Intensify, FX Photo Studio, and Pixelmator Distort.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lcrunyon

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    I've downloaded El Capitan, and at least now I'm starting to see them.

But what is so hard about just making a category for extensions? Just going to the Photography category in the App Store doesn't list out the available ones - which is really what I am looking for. I have to search each app (and there are hundreds) to see if it is an extension or not. I was able to click on a rotating window in the "Featured" section titled "Apps for Photographers," but while most of the ones TN Args mentioned are there, only four apps are actually listed as extensions for Photos. Sigh... There are few things that frustrate me more than computers.

I haven't downloaded any extensions yet, but I'm sure I will once I figure out which ones I want. I assume that I cannot enable any extensions to work in System Preferences until after I actually get some extensions, yes?

Btw, PS Express, which I had previously, is now accessible directly from the mobile version of Photos. I don't know if that classifies it as an extension. I stumbled upon it by accident when I saw a "More" option in the editing tools. It doesn't tell me if there are any other apps like this, but I take it that this was the only one that I have that will work.

16. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Absolutely, the app is being undersold by not making the availability of plugins more clear.

It would be very interesting to see if you can open the plugin, edit the image, then import back into photos, as you do with Lightroom.

17. Lcrunyon

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    You don't have to do any importing or exporting when you use it for editing. It either happens automatically, or the image never leaves Photos. PS Express is free, btw.

18. bjurasz

bjurasz Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    Cedar Park
    I recommend hanging out in this forum over here:

https://photoapps.expert/forum#.ViD4r_lVhBd

It used to be Aperture Experts, and was a great resource for Aperture questions. Now they have branched into Photos for OS-X and iOS, plus a lot more (like Lightroom, Capture One, etc.). There is increasing chatter about Photos plug-ins already.

Me, I'm hanging on to Aperture as long as I can but currently reading up on and learning Photos. I'll move eventually but want to be very prepared before I do. I think El Captain might be the last OS to support Aperture, unfortunately. :(

• Like Like x 1
  19. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    If you see PS Express in the "More" section, it is acting as a Photos extension.

Check out this site published Oct 1 about current extensions.

• Like Like x 1
  20. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    It appears to be more seamless than that. There is no need for an "import back into Photos" step. Once you click 'Done' in the extension, you are instantly back in Photos and the image now appears as edited. No need to make a .tiff or .jpeg to get back from the extension into Photos. Rather like I wish LR was with plugins, but isn't.

At least that is what I am seeing with the MacPhun extensions.

P.S. I am more or less trying Photos for the first time here, so perhaps the wrong person to dish out advice, but I am experimenting with this new Photos capability like everyone. Only in my case I never really tried Photos before as it was not usable for my purposes.