Anyone used both Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 and Fuji 27mm f/2.8 pancakes?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Photoelectric_Effect, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 II

0 vote(s)
  2. Fujifilm 27mm f/2.8

1 vote(s)
  1. Photoelectric_Effect

Photoelectric_Effect New to Mu-43

Apr 22, 2015
    If so, what are your thoughts/preferences?

I would like a 40mm FF equivalent compact prime, and I happen to have a Fuji body and an Olympus body, so either Fujifilm 27mm f/2.8 or Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 II would work. I'm aware of the differences in their basic specifications and the benefit of having IBIS with my Olympus body and one lens being "brighter" than the other, but I'm more curious about the rendering differences between the two lenses. I don't know if both are a "wash" in terms of optical performance or if there's a preference. (Oh and both are approximately the same price for the units I'm looking at). I know neither one is an AF speed demon, and the Fuji lens is chattery/louder in operation--I'm not looking to shoot video with either lens; only a portable solution for stills for daily carrying.

Could owners of both of these lenses (at the same time or at different times) please chime on?

Thank you!
  2. Mr_Canuck

Mr_Canuck New to Mu-43

Jan 5, 2016
    Sorry, no experience with either but as a user of the Pentax pancakes and more recently the Canon 40 on a full-frame, they all tend to be crispy clean with great rendering. It's such an easy engineering formula because it's a normal magnification. I'd say more subjectively, if you're looking for a portable solution, which is the smaller body?