Anyone used an Olympus 75-300 on a Panny body?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by f8andbethere, Oct 17, 2012.

1. f8andbethere

f8andbethere Mu-43 Regular

I have a G3 and am trying to decide between the Olympus 75-300 Zuiko lens and a Panny 100-300. The Olympus sells for $899 new as opposed to the Panny @ $499.00. The Olympus lens is described as fast focusing. Will the Olympus fast focus on my G3 or does this only apply if mounted on an Olympus camera? Some of the Panny 100-300 reviews say that it tends to hunt in low contrast situations. I'm willing to pay the extra if the focus is faster.

I am assuming that for $400 extra the Olympus delivers better quality images than the Panny 100-300.

2. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    I don't think the Olympus delivers that much better of IQ than the Panasonic. Maybe some, but worth the cash? Not to me.

The Panasonic would be the only way I would go if I had only a Panasonic body, OIS is a very nice thing to have with the longer focal lengths and slow aperture.

Can't comment on the difference in focus speed but the 100-300 was always fine for me on the GX1 in all-around conditions.

3. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    You can save yourself a couple hundred by buying a refurb 75-300 from camera...if you decide to forego the need for stabilization.

4. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    I have used both on my Olympus, in all honesty I didn't notice much if any difference between the two focusing. In the end I kept the Panasonic, I just liked the IQ better but that's more of a personal thing YMMV.

5. f8andbethere

f8andbethere Mu-43 Regular

Who is/are "camera"?

6. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Sorry stupid apple correction...cameta, they have refurbs from time to time.

• Like Like x 1