anyone used a Nikon 300mm f4.5 AIS?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dko22, Oct 3, 2010.

1. dko22

dko22 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Stuttgart, Germany
    now that I'm just about up and running with my Nikon adaptor (just about as it rained all weekend and I haven't really managed to test it properly yet), I'm just wondering whether it might be worth adding the Nikon 300mm f4.5 AIS to the collection. I seldom shoot at 600mm equivalent so it's not worth investing in the Panny 100-300 but occasionally like to try wildlife, things astronomical or simply far away and could get this highly praised (at least by KR) lens for about a quarter of what the Panny is likely to cost --and it'll probably be a bit better as well. Only for use on a tripod (which reminds me that it might be an idea to buy one of those as well which is at least remotely competent).

Anyone used this or similar lens? Any tips or advice?

David

2. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Apr 11, 2009
    I had the 300/4.5 ED-IF version, but kept the Nikkor-H 300/4.5 version. The ED-IF will focus to ~7ft or so, the older version only goes to 13ft. Both are quite good.

• Like Like x 2
  4. dko22

dko22 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Stuttgart, Germany
    I meant to add that I was ideally looking for the ED-IF version which is more expensive than the earlier non ED versions. Just been reading up more carefully and realise that there are about half a dozen variants of these things out there but certainly the ED-IF gets most of the plaudits and I'd probably as well just crop the 45-200 rather than get an inferior version of the 300mm. Certainly the lens would have to come in at under £200. I'll check out the local camera shop in case they have one --they have a fair amount of Nikon MF glass.

Did you not find a big difference between the H and ED-IF?

5. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    The one I am getting is not the ED version - but then I payed $80 for it so I thought I would take a chance.

The bald eagles are here at the lake and I wanted to try it out.

6. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    The biggest different with the ED-IF version: close focus, smoother focus. I did not find a big difference in the images. I used the lens mostly for bird pictures and air shows. So the close-up focus was not a big deal. My 300/4.5 is a "NKJ" marking rather than just "Nikon", and was one of the first. Mint condition, $150 about 25 years ago.

7. Kkrome

Kkrome Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 21, 2010
    I have the f4 version, and it is a great lens.I have been using it lately with the e-p2. The in body IS actually works. I have posted a number of photos here taken with the 300 f4 (some of them handheld). Many years ago, I had the 4.5 version. I never really liked it, but others praise it. But I can attest to the quality and sharpness of the F4 ED IF version.

8. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    but can you get an f/4 ED IF for $80 ... ?

9. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    The 300/4 AF-Nikkor, ED-IF, uses two elements with low-dispersion glass. It is a great lens, I had one for work. These days, I use all macro lenses for work.

10. dko22

dko22 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Stuttgart, Germany
    I suspect that the f4 version is too heavy and expensive for my occasional needs but thanks for the tip anyway.