1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Anyone used a Leica VIOOH viewfinder on a MFT body?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by onewheeltom, Dec 9, 2015.

1. onewheeltom

onewheeltom Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2015
    Cary, NC
    Tom Karches
    I've been looking at optical viewfinders for my Oly E-PM1. Most new options are ridiculously priced (seems to me). There is a vintage Leica viewfinder called a VIOOH. It is adjustable for the focal length of the lens. They are not so expensive. It looks like something from a 50's science fiction film (clearly, I like it). Attached is a photo from an sale ad at KEH. Has anyone ever used one of these on a MFT body?

--tom viewfinder.JPG

2. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    That one looks interesting as it has a number of useful focal length.

I bought an old Kodak version of this sort of thing...

_DSC2198.JPG
    (from Gus's Kodak Retina collection )

that I got off ebay for something like $13. I bought it to use with my Infrared converted E-P2 so that I could like up my shots in bright sun. This one is for 35mm and 80mm fields of view, so works very well with the 17mm lens I mostly used on that camera and the "80" setting I can still use on longer lenses since I don't really need perfect 1:1 framing with the camera, simply something to allow me to make sure I am mostly lined up right and not tilted over.

Anyway, based on my Kodak experience that Leica one looks like it might be something worth checking out.

3. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Looks nice. I wonder how it compares to the Zeiss Ikon / Steinheil / Zorki turret finders that also have adjustable focal lengths.

And yeah, very, very reasonably price for a vintage Leica product. Actually cheaper than some of those above options. I'd be curious to see how well it works.

Obviously there's no coupling or anything, so it's just for framing with full AF and you need to hope your camera locks onto the right thing...do they correct for parallax?

4. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    The Oly VF-1 Viewfinder is pretty handy - useful for 17mm. I hear it is also pretty good for framing the 20. For a lump of plastic it is over-priced but you can sometimes get good deals via the 17mm 2.8 lens.

Nice and bright too.

The vintage viewfinders are lovely pieces of optical engineering but they often have a tiny eye-piece - its kind of like putting your eye up to look through a polo mint.

5. onewheeltom

Nov 18, 2015
    Cary, NC
    Tom Karches
    Another option : There are various plans on the internet for making a viewfinder from an old disposable camera, which I may try to see how I like it.
    --tom

6. onewheeltom

Nov 18, 2015
    Cary, NC
    Tom Karches
    Well, I just bought a VIOOH from eBay that needs a thorough cleaning. Should be interesting to see how it works.
    --tom