1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone use the Panasonic Microphone DMW-MS1 on their GH1, GH2? Having a problem

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by goodluckman61, Dec 28, 2014.

1. goodluckman61

goodluckman61 New to Mu-43

Jul 13, 2013
    I bought this microphone about a year ago never used it. Now I want to use it in my GH1 camera.
    I have done exactly what the manual said to do and I am not sure if it is really working o not.
    1. Bought the reccomended batteries
    2. Did hook it up to the camera when camera was off.
    3. Checked battery was fully charged
    4. slid the lever on and slid the lever from off to mono and got the red light on for just a second.
    slid the lever to stereo no light at all

How else can I check to see if it is working or not?
    The manual says the red light will go on temporary and if no red light change the battery \.

I am shooting in my room whch seems to have a slight echo when I use the camera with no mic.
    Am I missing a step? Could I hook it up to my computer and do a test?

Thanks
    Robert

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    If your computer has a mic input (aux probably won't work), that would be a good test.

3. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    What is happening?

1 - no sound at all?
    2 - distorted sound?
    3 - low sound level?

4. goodluckman61

goodluckman61 New to Mu-43

Jul 13, 2013
    The sound is a deep base , a little echo. I did get the mic to work even thou that red light doesn't seem to work.
    Tested a corded lavaliere mic which wasn't all that good. and just the camera mic again not that great.
    I am standing 32 inches from the camera as my room is small and I had to back away from the wall to remove the shadow.

My room is all concrete with a tile floor so that may be the problem...what do do? I thinkit's passable but not professional enough since I want to make these 2 minute talking head you tube videos.

any suggestions would be appreciated
    Robert

5. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    A corded lavalier should work best since its closest to the subject. Even a cheap one. But it sounds like you have lots of hard walls. Put down some carpet and maybe hang some textiles on the walls.