1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone use the "P" mode

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by iansurita, Nov 23, 2015.

1. iansurita

iansurita Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 3, 2013
    Kent UK
    I was looking at the Olympus UK website at their featured professionals and noticed that many of these pros were using the "P" mode. Now I've never used this as I tend to favour aperture mode. I get the impression that most photographers seem to look down on it, likening it to that which newcomers tend to use. However I think it may have something going for it, helping to speedily alter aperture or shutter speed, so I thought I may try it. Does anybody have a view either to recommend its use or not.

2. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Ben I use A or manual, but I wonder about this all the time when watching YouTube reviews. They must use P- has its place and you shouldn't feel bad about it because of others. Settings have nothing to do with a winning shot. That comes from within.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I use P mostly. I will switch to S in low light to better control shutter speed and M when playing with Live Composite.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    A, M, very occasionally S mode. Only ever put into P mode when I hand the camera to someone else who is daunted by all the buttons and dials to play around with (that, or auto).

5. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    I use P mode quite a bit. I do a lot of macro, and it works well.

• Like Like x 1
  6. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    For normal shooting I often use "P" mode. It works great most of the time and you can simply see what it is choosing for settings and then override them if you feel differently.

I use the other modes as the situation dictates. "M" when shooting with flashes, especially off camera flash with radio triggers, "S" mode when shooting my boys' sports and I need to make sure the shutter speed it fast enough that everyone isn't a blur, and "A" when I simply want to make sure I have a DoF I think is appropriate for the shot being taken.

Otherwise "P" it is. Why would I care what other photographers think of it? Neither should you.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    It's whatever gets the job done.
    I've used shutter priority for motor sport and equestrian.
    Aperture for low light
    Programme when it's a very quick shoot from the hip, or I need a quick assessment of what the ambient light is doing, before embarking on a bridal portrait session.
    95% of the time, I shoot Manually, because that's more suited to my style, or the situation I find myself in.

Every shooting mode has it's uses and its drawbacks, and to say I never use a particular mode just means it's not been a requirement for the shooting environments met to date.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

My "main" shutter setting is usually "A." Like the above, I occasionally switch to "P" when traveling and don't have time to set up shots. Program is good for the grab-and-go shots that might be missed otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
  9. iansurita

iansurita Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 3, 2013
    Kent UK
    Thanks guys for your replies which I found very helpful and good to see other photographers points of view. I do tend to use other modes according to subject matter I'm capturing, but never tried the p mode. So it's obvious from your replies that "use what gets the shot" is the way to go which includes using p mode.
    Thanks again for your views.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    "P" (for professional :thumbsup:) with auto ISO and exposure comp in play at least 50% of the time with my m4/3 setup.

Manual with on camera flash 95% of the time for events with my Nikon gear.

• Like Like x 1
  11. So Thankful

So Thankful Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2015
    Midwest
    It all depends on what my subject is and how much time I have to get the shot.
    A mode for most portraiture
    S mode for shots where I want to convey motion.
    M mode when I have the time to work through the shot.
    P mode when I don't have time to work a shot. I also use it with TTL flash a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    To me, the advantage if P-mode is that you see in the viewfinder what shutter speed and aperture has been chosen. If you don't agree, a quick turn of the rear dial (mostly) gets you where you want to be, especially with Auto-ISO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I use 90% aperture priority, 5% shutter priority and 5% manual.

I don't use Program mode because I think it is noobish....I don't use it because I want to have control over a scene that makes sense to me and how I work. If any other photographer looks down on anyone else because of the camera mode they shoot has bigger issues to contend with in my estimation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    I almost always use P, though I switch to A and S sometimes for the reasons mentioned above. As BigTam puts it, you can see what's been chosen and then switch modes. And usually, I'm happy enough with what's been chosen.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Youngjun

Youngjun Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2015
    USA
    Youngjun
    I usually use P mode if it is bright enough for the camera to decide the shutter speed to be fast enough.
    When the shutter speed is too slow, then switch to S mode with auto-ISO.

I trust the camera program to be smarter than me on decisions, most of the time. :S

• Like Like x 1
  16. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I cannot use Program mode on my EM1 because that position on the dial is Myset #1. I honestly don't see why anyone who is serious about a photo would use "P" mode (unless that dial is setup for a Myset). When taking a photo you are either concerned about DoF (want a lot of a little) and shutter speed (want fast to freeze or slow to show motion) with the other side of the exposure triangle being ISO (which you want the lowest possible). Using P mode gets you control over none of the things that would effect the feel of the photograph. Sure it will give you a perfect exposure that could end up with lots of DoF and motion blur when you really wanted to freeze the action. Sure you can spin a dial and the camera will change the settings, but if you are really wanting more control over the DoF or shutter speed why not just shoot in that mode to begin with? Being able to reprogram the useless position on the dial was one of those stupid little things that made me so happy with my EM1.

17. tim63

tim63 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2015
    Serious question and no criticism intended but doesn't this imply you're looking down on noobies? Or at least feel that you've moved on from that stage and want to put it behind you!

Personally I use A for portraits and most other non moving stuff and S for action stuff where I want a specific shutter speed (either to freeze or blur). I'm also quite happy using P for Parties and the like. Whatever you use, every photo ever taken has only one aperture setting and only one shutter speed, a combination which could be arrived at using ANY mode.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, if you have auto-ISO enabled (with a high limit), and/or have (on OM-D) Flash Slow Limit set to something 'normal', then you're not going to be able to get slow shutter speeds (for motion blur) in 'A' or 'P' modes (unless it gets dark enough to exceed your ISO limit).

Barry

19. tim63

tim63 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2015
    Fair enough, Barry, maybe I should have said 'MOST modes'. I think you get what I mean though.

20. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    This is not the only snobbish post in this thread already, so apologies for picking this one out, but the program shift capability completely nulls your argument, and allows the photographer to make instantaneous decisions about A or S on the fly from shot to shot as appropriate. No wonder that people have noted that pros use it a lot. Every mode has earned its spot on my dial, P, A, S, M.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1