1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone use the Lumix 45-175 m43?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by radamo, Sep 8, 2012.

1. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Rich
    Not many reviews around (nor do I see a thread on here) and I am interested in the quality level of this lens.
    Thanks,
    RA

2. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    I have been pleased with mine, zooms well, light & though I havnt had it too long iq seems fine, took a steam train today but havnt got it off camera to post

3. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    I do, lovely lens. I have zero problems with it. You're right, it's odd that there's no reviews or image threads.

*edit* Oops, search didn't find this for some reason, but I found the image thread. Panasonic 45-175mm f/4-5.6 Image Thread

4. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    You'd do well to buy it with a store with a liberal return policy. Some samples tend to have OIS issues, meaning that pictures can get ever so slightly blurry at shutter speeds between roughly 1/60 and 1/500s and longer focal lengths. There are several threads on this, e.g. mine. Apart from this, the lens is quite good IMHO. I sent mine in for the OIS issue last week, haven't heard yet from Panasonic's repair shop in The Netherlands.

5. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Rich
    Thanks for the link. For some reason my searches on this site come up blank everytime.
    RA

6. sdeban

sdeban Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 8, 2012
    Video with 45-175 looks great.

I have one and love it. Great lens with good clarity and contrast for a zoom and very good stabilization. I have an album with many photos taken with this lens and a GX1.

Look for those at focal lengths longer than 45 and they will be this lens.

This video was shot with the 45-175 as well, with extended zoom enabled. What's remarkable is this is handheld. I have been really impressed with the stablization and image quality.

My only gripe is that the lens can be slow once you zoom in, so forget using it indoors.

7. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Rich
    Great... I will have to check out these shots. Thanks,
    RA

8. tomas

tomas Mu-43 Regular

Since May 2012 I have used the 45-175 with the Olympus em5 without encountering any IS problems yet. I've used it mostly for grandchildren's baseball game shots with the SCENE setting @ the runner icon.

This lens is sharper at the long end than the Olympus lenses: 14-150, 40-15 and 75-300 -- all of which I sold because I found them to be somewhat soft, although I sold them before I bought the em5.

I found the 45-175 sharpness to be in the very good range although it's not as sharp as the Olympus 4/3 50-200 which I consider to be excellent.

9. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    45-175 is excllent lens. Look at my post here: https://www.mu-43.com/f38/panasonic-45-175mm-best-m43-telephoto-zoom-30448/

I've been using it for over a month, no OIS issues on E-PM1 (and I don't use IBIS). The lens has superb prime-like contrast and color with sharpness optimized for wide open use (no need to change aperture). At the long end I find this lens significantly sharper than both copies of Oly 40-150 I tried and Oly 14-150 I used to own. The difference is especially noticeable for distance shooting (e.g. zoo). Internal zooming and slim profile (46mm filter thread) is just the icing on the cake. Interestingly, I can sharpen images taken with 45-175 in PS much more than Oly 40-150 without affecting quality. The lens also works for macro with Raynox close up lenses retaining instant AF.

• Like Like x 4
  10. timbuktwo

timbuktwo Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 27, 2012
    I have a copy of the 45-175 with double imaging issue. I'm still weighing the pros and cons of keeping it. It takes excellent photos that require very little post processing. Extremely sharp and a great colour contrast, as you've seen in the examples. But the 1/60-1/160 range on my copy is extremely frustrating. The question I'm asking myself is, "will I almost exclusively use this lens in good enough lighting to avoid that shutter range". I have a feeling I will, but I think I'll have to avoid any evening and night shots.

Would love to give you a better review than this, but I haven't really made much use of it other than to test out the image stabilization issue. As I've said, it is extremely impressive when sooting in ranges outside "worry zone". At the moment, I think it probably deserves a 3-3.5 on 5 star review, though it has the ability to take 5/5 star worthy photos given the right lighting conditions.

11. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    45-175X hits the spot

I have had this lens since Dec last year and despite my initial reservations, it is proving itself a great performer and produces wonderful images.

It also has the advantage of internal zooming so keeps a constant size as well as reducing the risk from sucking in dust.

Here are some of my images from this lens take on the GX1.

Islington_Angel_Festival_44_SFX.

The_eyes.

Orange1.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Sachtler

Sachtler New to Mu-43

Sep 19, 2012
    I was concerned about buying the 45-175 when I read about the OIS issue.. But thanks to this forum I got some answers (one from Iansky above me) and I ended up purchasing it for the GH3 I have on pre0order. However I'v been using it on a GF3 and wow, from someone who has come from FF canon L land I was REALLY impressed with the quality this little lens produces. I like everything about it, and I have had no issues at all with the OIS in all sorts of conditions. Super impressed with the quality considered the affordable price, and the OIS works really well and I love the power zoom. urrently my favorite lens.

• Like Like x 2
  13. littlelio

littlelio New to Mu-43

Oct 1, 2012
    This would be my first post in the forum... Anyway, I just got mine today.

Since I am a E-P3, the OIS would not work. But so far I didn't see any issue with it. By the way I have updated it to firmeware 1.1.

A major reason I picked this instead of 45-200 is the internal focusing. A extended barrel seems very stupid to me. And now I am very happy and the m43 system does stay portable!

Focusing is smooth both on ring and switch, fast and quiet. The aperture is not that big, but no complain about that given the price. I don't think I will buy that super expensive 35-100 anyway!

Anyway, I am very happy with this lens!

• Like Like x 2
  14. dancogan

dancogan Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 31, 2012
    SE Michigan
    I have been very pleasantly surprised by mine, whether using it handheld with OIS on or on a tripod without OIS. I was truly blown away by the quality of shots I got putting a close up lens over this one. Many 13X19" prints show off the quality of this lens. Sorry, but I don't have any shots presently available to post.

15. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    I too am very impressed by my 45-175. It can't touch the Canon 80-200/2.8L that I had on my 40D but not many lenses can. My primary complaint with it is that it's too slow, especially at the long end.

Here are some of my Flickr sets taken with it:

Set 1

Set 2

Set 3

You can see I use it almost exclusively at football games. My daughter is a cheerleader, my son plays football, and we go to the local high school games. When it gets dark outside, this lens has a hard time because of the slow aperture. But in good light, it's fantastic.

16. Kaufman Memorial Gardens

I really like this lens...
    large.

17. Campeonato de FĂștbol (SJdS)

Olympus OM-D E-M5 ,Panasonic LUMIX G X VARIO PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6
    P1190713_copy.