1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone use the Fotodiox 4/3 to m4/3 Pro adapter?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by stetr24, Jul 28, 2014.

1. stetr24

stetr24 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 30, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Trevor Stevens
  2. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    no experience with it but don't see how there would be any difference. It just provides the right distance from the sensor and passes the electrical signals thru to the lens. Nothing that would have any effect on AF speed.

3. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Having pulled apart the Olympus version and seen it's insides I can say there isn't any real electronics inside them, it's basically pin in to pin out with two pins not connected to anything (m4/3 has two extra pins over 4/3) with one exception.

The exception is a switch inside the Olympus which disconnects all the electronics when you push the lens release on the adapter so that you can remove the lens without removing the adapter off the body first (if you don't turn off the electronics it can potentially short and damage the body, think most 'professional' Canon bodies (5d mk 2 seemed very very prone to it though, google "canon 5d fuse")).

Personally I stick to the Olympus ones because they're a tighter fit rather than anything to do with the electronics, I've also put hot glue into the holes in the lens mount so that the pin that holds them is more secure and the lens doesn't rotate as much... not really a huge issue for most people I suspect however it was one that nagged at me every time I used a lens with tripod mount, putting your hand on the body rotated it around the lens slightly changing the framing.

As for the weather sealing, having seen the insides I do feel it's more to make the user feel more confidant than actually do what it's name would suggest (there's a reason none of the warranties cover weather/water damage...).

• Like Like x 1
  4. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    One more thing I should mention: Avoid ANY fotodiox adapter that actually has optics in it. Their lenses and coatings are absolute crap, I would feel dirty using any of them as a paperweight. I would say it's hard to actually stuff up a 43 to m43 adapter though, that should be pretty safe...

5. stetr24

stetr24 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 30, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Trevor Stevens
    Awesome, thanks for the info. I guess all the focus performance is in the lens itself, so this adapter should work just fine.

I have found zero reviews regarding the adapter, but that doesn't mean it's no good. I've had Fotodiox adapters in the past and they worked just fine and fit well.