1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone use Photosynth?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by agentlossing, May 30, 2014.

1. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    It's been awhile since I dabbled in Microsoft's free software for 360-degree panoramas, but it's pretty amazing stuff. There are some truly breathtaking scenes on there. I really only have one "true" panorama up there, and it's not 360-degree (I think I made it with three images vertical height, but that was with a 6MP DSLR), but I hope to have some more stuff soon to add.

http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid...328721472211:-0.815087013601825&p=0:0&t=False

If any of you forum fellows have panoramas to post, stick 'em in here for us to enjoy!

2. franklyadam

franklyadam Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 3, 2014
    I have been using it a bit on my phone, it's pretty slick would love to see it gain more popularity. I haven't tried it with camera photos yet though, probably not quite as slick as the mobile app

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I use Microsoft ICE for making panoramas, but have never played with synth.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I thought this was something plants used? :p

5. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    There are better pano stitching apps (I like Autostitch since it will stitch any set of images from any camera together, with resolution and stitching detail options) but Photosynth works well and I have used it a lot in the past. I find that the apps tend to have a lot of parallax errors, and best results come from very careful image capture or stitching in other software that allows some individual image adjustments...

A few examples using Photosynth:

ImageUploadedByMu-431401555082.035452.

ImageUploadedByMu-431401555104.268917.

ImageUploadedByMu-431401555117.504607.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    The large one I posted was done with my Nikon D40, then processed on the desktop, which was actually a decently simple process, it just took forever as I was using underpowered hardware. Using photosynth with high resolution images is where it really shines, though.

I agree it's probably not the very best pano app out there, but the mix of ease of use, the phone app, and the sharing capabilities makes it pretty cool.