1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Anyone use Light Link LED?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by phdezra, Dec 18, 2011.

1. phdezra

phdezra Mu-43 Stalker Subscribing Member

Dec 6, 2011
    New York, NY
  2. John M Flores

John M Flores Super Moderator

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I use LED panels for video. If you are shooting stills, flash will give you more power. The one shown probably won't be worth more than a stop at 2 feet. It might help for macros, but will be all but useless at anything beyond 3 feet. That's my guess at least..

• Like Like x 1
  3. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    That unit uses 5mm Nichia LEDs that each have a maximum output of about 2200 millicandelas (MCD). That's about a maximum output of 85 to 90 lumens for all 36. A 60-watt incandescent light bulb typically has an output of 1100 as measured with an integrating sphere.

That LED fixture's output is typically towards the blue end of the spectrum: 6500 to 8000 Kelvin. Your camera's white balance with need to be adjusted to compensate for this.

Moreover this LED panel will have a low Color Rendition Index between 50 to 60; quite low. What this means is that the low CRI will render unrealistic colors on the images that you capture. The higher the CRI number the better.

Additionally, "bluish," low-CRI LEDs tend to "wash out" colors.

If you wish to wish to use a LED light, get one with multiple, high-CRI, high-power LEDs made by such makers such as Lumileds, Cree, etc.

I sometimes use a 750-lumen combat light with a milk jug at the output to diffuse the output.

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Basically to sum up: you'll probably regret it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. phdezra

phdezra Mu-43 Stalker Subscribing Member

Dec 6, 2011
    New York, NY
    Ha! Agreed though... I'm going to pass on this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.