Anyone use Light Link LED?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by phdezra, Dec 18, 2011.

1. phdezra

phdezra Mu-43 Stalker

Dec 6, 2011
    New York, NY
  2. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I use LED panels for video. If you are shooting stills, flash will give you more power. The one shown probably won't be worth more than a stop at 2 feet. It might help for macros, but will be all but useless at anything beyond 3 feet. That's my guess at least..

• Like Like x 1
  3. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    That unit uses 5mm Nichia LEDs that each have a maximum output of about 2200 millicandelas (MCD). That's about a maximum output of 85 to 90 lumens for all 36. A 60-watt incandescent light bulb typically has an output of 1100 as measured with an integrating sphere.

That LED fixture's output is typically towards the blue end of the spectrum: 6500 to 8000 Kelvin. Your camera's white balance with need to be adjusted to compensate for this.

Moreover this LED panel will have a low Color Rendition Index between 50 to 60; quite low. What this means is that the low CRI will render unrealistic colors on the images that you capture. The higher the CRI number the better.

Additionally, "bluish," low-CRI LEDs tend to "wash out" colors.

If you wish to wish to use a LED light, get one with multiple, high-CRI, high-power LEDs made by such makers such as Lumileds, Cree, etc.

I sometimes use a 750-lumen combat light with a milk jug at the output to diffuse the output.

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Basically to sum up: you'll probably regret it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. phdezra

phdezra Mu-43 Stalker

Dec 6, 2011
    New York, NY
    Ha! Agreed though... I'm going to pass on this.