1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone use a Wacom tablet for LR/PS editing?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by ean10775, Mar 15, 2012.

1. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I was considering picking up a Wacom tablet to use for editing in LR3/CS5 as from what I understand they are great for making more intricate selections edits than can easily be done with a mouse. I was just wondering if anyone here uses/has used one and what their experience has been. Also, what models are good? - I was looking at the Wacom Bamboo Capture as something inexpensive to get me started.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Wacom tablets are the ONLY type of pointing device I use on a computer. Well... besides a wireless mouse I use when I'm watching movies and want to control the computer while sitting back in my movie chair. ;) If only Wacom had a wireless tablet... xD

The Bamboo will get you started, no problem. I'm down to one now, but I used to have up to 3 Bamboo tablets being used at a time. They don't have the soft, pressure-sensitive surface of the Intuos series, but are about as good in every other way... Plus they allow for Touch control with just your hands so you can control your tablet (on non-art stuff) without having to pick up your pen all the time. The Capture has both Pen + Touch features, the Connect does not. Those are the small Bamboos, and the larger one is the Create. If you want a large tablet then you'll have to go Intuos, but I highly doubt you'll need that. I like my small tablets, and like I said these are all I use. Small tablets are faster (smaller wrist movements needed to get around the screen), large tablets are more precise. Medium tablets (like the Bamboo Create) are quite large, and there's no need to go bigger than that if you're not doing specialized work. If you are doing fine art where pressure-sensitivity is important, then the soft Intuos tablet is better at twice the price (for matching sizes). I would just get a Bamboo for Photo Editing (ie, as opposed to painting).

• Like Like x 3
  3. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Thanks Ned, I appreciate your response. Seeing as I've never used one and have no real intention to use it for anything other than photo editing I'm sure I wouldn't miss the advanced features of the Intuos series or require a larger surface.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Actually, if using the pad for things OTHER than just within Photoshop, is where the smaller tablets become advantageous. :) It's quicker and easier to get around the screen when doing other stuff on your computer by using a small tablet.

Whether or not you intend on giving up your mouse, I highly suggest you keep both hooked up and use only the tablet for everything for at least the first couple weeks of getting it. In order to get used to it, you will need to use it as your dedicated pointing device for mundane tasks so that when you use it in Photoshop it will be natural for you. You may however find, as I did, that it is a superior pointing device and not bother with mouses anymore. ;)

Oh... did I forget to mention that a tablet will greatly reduce or eliminate any chance of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, which a mouse can cause? If you do suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome on the computer (on your mouse hand), then switching to a tablet should cure that. Designers who use mouses always have this problem.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Thanks for the suggestion. I would always leave both the mouse and tablet connected because my wife and I share an iMac - she wouldn't know how, nor be willing to learn how to use the tablet.

6. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    I've had Bamboo Pen+Touch for a year and never really got used to it, played with it for a week and then it's been collecting dust all this time. Somehow I couldn't take advantage of pressure sensitivity and continued using mouse+kb. Although I've read similar advices about forcing yourself to use the tablet for everything at first, I guess I never really went through with it. Gonna try to follow Ned's advice now, maybe I'll get used to the tablet this time. :smile:

7. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Same here - Intuos 3 6x11 on my workstation, Bamboo Pen&Touch for the road, and I've never wanted to touch a mouse again.

Wacom does have a wireless tablet. 3 choices, in fact - The new Intuos 5's are all wireless, as are the Bamboo Capture and Bamboo Create.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Cool! These are all after my time (I actually had to look up what a "Capture" was when the OP mentioned it), as tablets do last for many years. It's nice to know though, that the next time I have to replace one I can go wireless! :biggrin: Maybe it's time for a new small tablet to carry with my laptop, so I don't have to take one from my workstation... ;)

9. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I ended up getting the Bamboo Capture and, while not wireless out of the box (you have to buy a wireless adapter for $40 or so if you want wireless), I think its great, especially when you figure it cost around $80 and comes with Photoshop Elements (though I have no need for the software, already having LR3 and CS5). Obviously I'm still adjusting seeing as I've only had it few days, but I haven't touched the mouse since I got it. I'm not crazy about the multi-touch aspect (but I haven't really experimented that much with it) but I love the pen.

10. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    I love Wacom! I use a Logitech M570 wireless trackball for general computing purpose, but once I'm in Lightroom, Bridge and Photoshop, it's tablet all the way. The degree of precision and touch sensitivity, not the mention the natural feel of using the pen makes it way easier to retouch and use brushes.

I started out with the original Bamboo, but just graduated to the Intuos5 Medium size about 2 weeks ago. What a major difference. Just so much more sensitive, the tip feel better as it glides over the tablet, and best of all, multi-finger gestures are awesome on the Intuos5. Very customizable for each software, so for example, on Lightroom, I can pinch-zoom, I can hold all 5 fingers down to erase a photo, flick four fingers up and down to go between Library and Create, etc. Holding three fingers down opens a radial menu around the cursor and you can have 8 customizable shortcuts.

The Intuos5 and tablets in general just makes you more productive, bar none!

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Oh yes, multi-finger gestures are what's carried up to the Intuos from the Bamboo series. Touch and gestures started in the first Pen + Touch Bamboo tablet released years ago, and for a while was a good reason to go Bamboo over Intuos (besides price of course). It's just like how Olympus releases new technologies in the lower-end cameras until they have enough to culminate into one new flagship camera... in this case, the Intuos 5. ;)