1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Anyone use a Wacom Cintiq to edit?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by jbuch84, Apr 28, 2011.

1. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    Was just curious if anyone has ever used a Wacom Cintiq to edit photos with? It's pretty similar to the Bamboo Tablets and such with pen input.. but the rather than drawing on a separate surface you are actually drawing on your screen. I really sometimes wish that i could spin my image around, sketch on it and all just like a piece of paper haha, and this would be pretty close.

Was curious if any of you guys have tried it? I haven't even tried out the Bamboo tablets...but have been looking to get my hands on one. Any input? Looking forward to it!

edit: why hasn't something like this been developed for ipad/android tabs using a vpn connection to show whats on your pc screen??

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Never a Cintiq, but I have used a Windows TabletPC for photo editing and it was wonderful, at times. Using a pressure sensitive stylus "on" the image is a wonderful way to make complex selects and masks much easier and quicker to achieve. But apart from the "drawing and masking" functions of Photoshop everything else is easier with a mouse. The sliders are just too small to operate precisely with a pen. Had Adobe got more tablet friendly, we may have actually seen an OEM Mac tablet as direct interaction with the image is just such an intuitive way to work. Nowdays, I still have a few tablets but they've been mostly replaced because:
    1. I use Lightroom for 90% of my work and it's a decidedly tablet unfriendly program.
    2. The automatic selection tools in Photoshop have improved so much that there's not as much need for manual selects as there used to be.
    3. For the little work I do need to do in Photoshop I prefer a bigger screen and a tablet on the side. I can't justify the expense of a Cintiq and a good regular monitor.

Not that you shouldn't try one. It's a marvellous way to work on images.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  3. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    Good info, one can only hope that adobe make a tablet friendly version here soon! I'll probably just start with a cheap bamboo and go from there and see where software evolution goes! Thanks for the quick reply Flash

4. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I can't live w/o my tablet... wait, that sounds weird... any way. Use one every day, and contrarily, I have a hard time editing with a mouse. Just not natural. Can't afford THAT one though.

5. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I use a Bamboo. Good control, dirt cheap, and doesn't take up too much space on a desk. Except for the most demanding editing tasks, I don't really see the cintiq interest, and I fear the monkey arm syndrome. Plus, this is yet another device to profile and calibrate in the display chain if you value color precision. If you need constant pixel precision, like in drawing, why not ? But for photography, I'm dubious.

Cheers,

6. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I got this at my university bookstore. An older version, and discontinued at the time, it had fallen backwards on a top shelf. I think I got it for $45 with my faculty discount. It is a 6x8 Wacom.

[​IMG]

7. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    I have an intuos4 and that cost me roughly $350. I've spent a lot of time on a 21UX Cintiq in the past, but it's always been for sketching or less often image/photo manipulation. I can't imagine it being very useful for touching up photos and using the features LR has to offer but whatever the advantage it would give you over a mouse or a traditional tablet is, it isn't going to be worth the Cintiq pricetag (~$2000).

I've also purchased the Cintiq 12WX in the past and I returned within a few days. The tablet itself is small enough to be portable but with all the different cables and wiring box and ac adapter that they don't mention pre-purchase, it really isn't portable at all. I also had trouble setting up the screen, it either had to be a duplicate of your desktop, which didn't work for me since my monitor and my cintiq had different aspect ratios, or an extension of my desktop, which for some reason I can't recall didn't work too well for me.