1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone use a Tablet for photo editing?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kriskerry91, Oct 2, 2012.

1. kriskerry91

kriskerry91 Mu-43 Regular

Sorry if this is the wrong area to put this post, but thought it kind of fits.

Is there anyone on here that doesn't use a PC or laptop but uses a tablet device to edit their photos? Such as a iPad or Android Tablet?

I don't own a PC or laptop so yesterday i went out and treated myself to a Google Nexus 7 Android tablet, mainly to store my photos and videos but possibly do some minor editing.

If you do use a tablet please recommend some apps for me :)

thanks! :thumbup:

2. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    I recently switched from iPhone to a Galaxy S3 and would also like to know photo editing apps for android. i mean "real"ones not lomo effects 1960 blueish xpro process...something more in the likes of snapseed or vsco cam, etc.

3. kriskerry91

Exactly, not really looking for ones that just an an effect, I want to be able to adjust the colours, saturation, contrast etc. Not sure how good Photoshop Express is?

I've also got a HTC One X that i could use, but prefered a bigger screen :)

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes I use a tablet for editing. A Wacom tablet. :)

That's an essential tool for photo editing, along with a real computer... Sorry to say.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    when i first started reading this thread thought of the same thing, i also use a wacom tablet with a real computer for my editing. its key. im asking for android photo apps though for my everyday snaps that go on instagram or friends emails and such...

6. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    Alan
    Photogene on the iPad is pretty good. Unfortunately, I've only just dabbled with it to touch up jpegs, but it offers many options for editing and retouching, eg vibrance, clarity, shadow adjust, highlight adjust, sharpen, denoise, dodge, burn, RGB, curve adjust, edits raws etc.

See Photogene for iPad Review | Brian Q. Webb

But, for general editing, I still prefer Lightroom on my Mac.

Snapseed is due to be released on Android soon. I think it was expected earlier this year, but it's running a little late.

7. kriskerry91

Typical, the app that you want is late to be released! Always happens.

And yes appologies for the title! It is a little mis-leading, but I couldn't think of another suitable title! :rofl:

I've just downloaded Photoshop Express so going to give it a go and see whats what. I'l post a photo, before and after I've done abit of playing :cool:

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I think in that situation I would be inclined to try the webased Photoshop (is that the Photoshop Express you asked about?). I don't know how well it works, but I know how poorly some other options work. ;)

9. kriskerry91

There is an actual app called 'Adobe Photoshop Express' on the Play Store made by Adobe. It's rated the second best free app in the Photography category so fingers crossed it's ok for some touch up work! :hail:

10. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    When I travel, I use an ipad for both storage and editing. I use snapseed for editing. When I get back home, I move all of the images over to my Mac and sometimes I'll reprocess some of them using Lightroom and the more fully featured Nik plug-ins, but some images I never change from the original snapseed version. Its kind of quick and dirty, but sometimes its just what I'm looking for. I've played around with a couple of other processing programs on the ipad, but I always seem to come back to that one...

-Ray

11. kriskerry91

Looks like I may have to wait for Snapseed on Android! I can't afford an iPad (or a Mac, as much as i want one!) but my Google Nexus should keep me going.

12. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I have a Motorola Xoom tablet and I use the Nexus Media Importer app to transfer from SD cards and Photoshop Express for editing. Photoshop Express works reasonably well - I don't use it at home because I own LR and Photoshop CS5 - I also have a much larger screen on my notebook comp.

13. kriskerry91

Very good idea! I've actually done some research and decided the Nexus wasn't really what I needed. So instead I took it back and swapped it (adding cash) for a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. It comes pre-installed with Adobe Photoshop Touch and with the stylus it works a dream!

• Like Like x 2
  14. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    I use my iPad from time to time for minimal editing tasks. I have an EyeFi card in my EM5 that I use to transfer to my iPad and use either iPhoto or Photogene for editing. Works reasonably well although it's certainly not a replacement for LR4 on my Mac.

15. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I do the same except for Aperture on the Mac. I find that the iPad is fine for basic picture review, minor editing, culling, etc.

16. donlaw

donlaw Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2011
    Texas
    Don Lawrence
    I travel with the ipad3 and use it for checking images, Edits with snapseed, are well, a snap! Used to use photoshop express, but snapseed and iPhoto are all I use now.

17. JoeV

JoeV Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
    Joe Van Cleave
    Filterstorm

I use filterstorm on iPad when I'm out in the field with my G1 or G5 and am shooting JPEGs - and with the G5 I'm more apt to shoot JPEGs, they're that good out of camera. An Internet connection permits quick uploads to my Flickr stream, especially handy when I'm on vacation.

*Joe

18. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have an iPad and love it for viewing my pics! I have several editing apps on it but really don't use them much. I tend to use photoshop and lightroom once I am back at home/office.

19. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I actually use only my iPad to edit my photos. I have been doing this since the 1st gen iPad. I use many applications to create art from my photographs. My top apps is Snapseed. That is my go to editor. I also use Filterstorm, Paint FX & Photoforge. One of my newest apps that I have recently got into is Moku Hanga. This is a painting app that does some real creative edits to your photos. Anyhow, the iPad has come a long way since the 1st gen and is just getting better.

20. TDP

TDP Guest

X2, exactly.