Anyone use a filter on the the Canon FD 24mm 2.8 S.S.C.???

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by kb1142, May 17, 2017.

1. kb1142

kb1142 Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Blue Ridge Mountains, North Carolina
    Kevin Balling
    Just bought a vintage Canon FD 24mm S.S.C. lens for my Panasonic G7. I am waiting on a B+W ND filter for the lens to do some video work. I am looking at the front element of the lens and notice that it is convex and it seems that the filter might hit the element when screwed down. I have seen this same lens for sale with filters so it seems that folks use them , but man, looking at the front of this lens, it seems the filter will come REAL close to the lens element. I have read some horror stories from filters scratching the lens of Canon zooms.
    So, I am just being cautious and would love to get some feedback from anyone who might have insight. I guess I will find out when the filter arrives, but from the looks of this lens, I am more than half scared to even thread it on. Thanks in advance.

2. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I owned a fairly extensive suite of Canon FD lenses, including the 24mm f2.8 SSC. I used a skylight filter with no problems. If you have concerns with filter clearance with any lens, take 2 pieces of lens cleaning tissue and cut them into circles about 5mm smaller than the filter size - they don't have to be exactly round or the same size but the stacked disks have to cover the center of the front element regardless of sliding to one edge or another. Screw the filter in place while watching for the center of the front element and filter tearing or visibly compressing the tissues.
    My bet is the filter will easily clear the front element.

3. kb1142

kb1142 Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Blue Ridge Mountains, North Carolina
    Kevin Balling
    Thanks for your input. Good to know your firsthand experiences. I am going to take your advice though. Another method I as considering is wetting the filter with lens cleaner, then place the filter, lens side up on a table. Next, screw the lens into the filter. Then check the lens to see if it is wet.
    I appreciate your reaching out. I like the lens, by the way. Nice rich colors, and good contrast. I have the 50mm also.