1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Anyone up for a NEW challenge?

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by dixeyk, Sep 13, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    After a bit of a break (I work at a university and we're all pretty crazy until school starts at the end of September) I plan on getting the GX1 back out for some fun.

I really enjoy the picture a day format (although in the Summer of Pictures it was more of a suggestion than anything else :biggrin:). I have also been looking around at other kinds of challenges and came up with an idea. Recently I have been playing around with just using MF lenses and that has been quite a lot of fun. I think part of what I like is working within the constraints of MF. Since we all have different things we like what if we were to have a challenege where each of us picked a camera+lens combination and setup. It doesn't matter what that combination/setup is (other than it must be an m43 camera) and we stick to it for the duration. You work within the constraints of whatever setup you choose. You could choose a camera lens combination and choose to shoot everything at f5.6 or only use manual focus or perhaps everything be black and white. However you'd like to challenge yourself is up to you. I figure October 1st through December 31st seems like a nice doable stretch and given the multiple holidays and fall colors there should be a lot of available subjects.

I'll go first...GX1+PL45 and only black and white (figuring out how to do fall colors will be interesting).

I'd love to have some company again. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 7
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I really like this idea!

3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Interesting idea... I'm tentatively in on this one as well :)

I'll probably use this as an excuse to get in some quality time with my beloved CV 25 :biggrin:

4. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    I'm in for this as well. Sounds like a good exercise.

5. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    +1! I just hope I can find more time to shoot than I did during the summer of photos challenge. :eek:

Is say, E-M5 with only 45/1.8 (at any aperture) not a significant enough challenge?

6. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I'll start up a thread on October 1st. Sorry for the delay but I'm slammed at work until then as we have a new LMS (learning management system) in trials and I'm part of the transition team.

7. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    For me with that focal length it would be! :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  8. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    That sounds like plenty of a challenge to me. I find that FL challenging. I'll be very interested to see your stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Salc64

Salc64 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2012
    New York. USA
    Sal
    Why not make the challenge be what we are taking pictures of, not what gear that way all can be involved. Limit the gear to m43. And just choose a specific topic, structure or Expression.

10. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Limiting your tools can force you into a new avenue of thought and perspective. I will use only my 3" c-mount for this one.

...another good gear based challenge would be the wanderlust pinhole.

11. Oopsydaisy74

Oopsydaisy74 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    Will
    Silver Efex can give you some nice selective color results. I know most people hate selective color as much as HDR, but if not overdone, I think great images can be produced.

12. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I'm fine with that

13. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Three months on one topic/theme might get stale fast. I think the idea of the challenge was that each person would choose their own personal combo of camera + lens and then take one photo per day with that combo for three months. It's like a longer version of the Single in January project earlier this year over at sister site SeriousCompacts. If we did it that way I'd choose E-P3 and 20/1.7

A different kind of challenge, not so focused on gear, would be to do something like the challenge we did in May where each participant suggested one prompt for a total of ~36 and then we had a month to complete them all. I had a lot of fun going out to search for themes, or thinking about ways to put an interesting image together. It was kind of like a scavenger hunt, but was not a competition (and not strictly a photo-a-day project).

14. photos by Sexton

photos by Sexton New to Mu-43

Sep 13, 2012
    Are we saying that we are going to use only this set-up for the entire time period?

• Like Like x 1
  15. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    That's what I'm planning to do. Of course that applies only to the images you would be using for the challenge. If I had a need to shoot something for another purpose I'd use whatever lens I needed, I just wouldn't use those images for this.

16. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Well let's hope I can shoot more than I did during the summer of photos challenge! :wink:

17. sdsyver

sdsyver Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    Northern Alberta
    Shawn
    I like the idea. I think I will use Oly 45 1.8 on my OM-D for this. This should be fun! Can't wait to see images. :2thumbs:

18. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Hi all, not sure if this challenge/group activity is still going forward now that Kevin is stepping down as mod, but I wanted to let everyone know that we have organized an Octoberfest Photofest over at sister-site SeriousCompacts.com. From the OP: "This is NOT a contest, it's a friendly month long photowalk that we will embark on simultaneously, in our own parts of the world, wherever you live or happen to be during the month of October."

The core idea is a photo-a-day for the month of October. For anyone who *wants* an extra challenge or inspiration, there is an optional "scavenger hunt" list of themes. Other people may choose to limit themselves to a particular camera/lens combo.

I hope some people will consider joining in the fun!

• Like Like x 3
  19. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I'm in (doing the scavenger prompts)!

20. sdsyver

sdsyver Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    Northern Alberta
    Shawn
    Here is one taken today while out playing in the snow.

SDS00005.