1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Anyone try the Vello remote?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by duvinclunk, Jan 9, 2013.

1. duvinclunk

duvinclunk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    Looking to pick up a remote to start playing with the bulb feature on the OMD. I'm willing to purchase the Olympus remote if it really is much better but I found several options for wired remotes on B&H (plus $40 for a cheap wired remote seems a bit much). One a saw and solely like it due to its smaller form was the Vello remote. Has anyone tried it? Is there another good remote option? Is the Olympus the way to go?

Vello RS-O1II Wired Remote Switch for Select Olympus RS-O1II B&H

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I'm curious myself, this is a great price. :cool:

3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I just acquired one of these:

Amazon.com: Aputure 2.4Ghz Trigmaster Kit (One Transmitter + 2 Receivers) Radio Remote Flash Trigger and Shutter Cable Release, fits Olympus E-400, E-410, E-420, E-450, E-510, E-520, E-620, SP-57DUZ, SP-560EZ, SP-550EZ, SP-510EZ, PEN E-PL1s, E-PL2, E

but at $44 U.S. it can't compete on price with the Vello. It does come with two receivers and can control flash and shutter release, including bulb.

There's also an upgraded model

Amazon.com: Aputure Trigmaster Plus Kit, 2.4GHz Radio Remote Flash Trigger and Shutter Cable Release, fits Olympus E-400, E-410, E-420, E-450, E-510, E-520, E-620, SP-57DUZ, SP-560EZ, SP-550EZ, SP-510EZ, PEN E-PL1s, E-PL2, E-PL3, E-P2, E-P3, E-M, OM-

for a few bucks more; it has greater range and uses AAA cells in the transmitter rather than the A23 which can be harder to find.

HTH

Jim

4. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    I've got one, though truth be told, I haven't used it much. When I first got it, I thought it was defective because it wouldn't work. So I put it back in the bag and was going to return it to B&H. On a whim, I reconnected it and voila it worked like a charm. Has worked ever since. Single release and bulb modes both work. Build quality is fine. For the money, you can't go wrong.

5. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
  6. duvinclunk

duvinclunk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    Jim, how exactly do those work? Do you have to use the hot shoe to hold the transmitter? It can focus? Can it lock the shutter for multiple exposures?

7. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    The unit has two receivers; one for controlling the camera and a 'spare' that can be used to control off-camera flash.

The receivers have two 'modes', one for shutter and one for flash.

You can set up a receiver in the hot shoe and control the camera (focusing if camera is set to auto focus, multiple exposures, etc) with the transmitter. There is a small cable that runs from the hot shoe mounted receiver to the USB port on the EM-5, so it is NOT weatherproof. The receivers also have hot shoes built in, and a pc connection for studio lights or flashes that have pc ports.

I acquired the unit at Christmas and have not yet played with the flash capabilities (actually I don't even own a flash except for the small FL-300 model and the even smaller companion flash that came with the EM-5).

I wanted one for remote shutter control, so that I can sit in my easy chair in the house and make photographs of star trails, comets, etc. with the camera mounted on a tripod on the patio. Thus I have not spent anytime working with the flash capabilities - and other than testing haven't taken any star trail shots (the weather in Detroit being what it is in January).

If there's something specific you want me to try I can set it up and give it a go (with the caveats that I'm painting the interior of the Swamp so it might be a day or three before I can complete the task, and the that I am "flash unit limited" :biggrin: so I cannot test controlling multiple flash units).

There's another thread on this:

https://www.mu-43.com/f42/remote-shutter-control-om-d-38592/

Zariell has, I think, more experience with these units than I do (see Post # 7).

You may want to ask Z to chime in.

Lemme know if there are any specifics you want me to test.

Regards,

Jim

8. duvinclunk

duvinclunk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    Thanks Jim. I was originally thinking I wanted to just get a cheap one as I didn't see myself actually using a remote of any kind very often and figured it would be wasteful to spend $40+ when I may use it only a small handful of times. I do like the idea of being able to set it up on a tripod for group shots but mainly wanted for landscapes, bulb, and shooting star trails.

I'll have to give it some more thought. Thanks again.

9. mowog6000

mowog6000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Oregon City Oregon
    Pat bailey
    Do you think it would work with a EPL-5?