Anyone try the 4/3 Oly 150/2 lens on their M4/3 body?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Tosh, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Tosh

Tosh Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2012
    In particular, I'm curious whether the Olympus 150mm f/2 (a 4/3 lens) would work well on an Olympus M4/3 body?
    Has anyone tried this?
    Would AF speed be negatively affected?

Any and all thoughts and comments are welcome.

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    My 4/3 dream lens! :smile:

Since it's not a CDAF optimized lens, I don't think it's going to be very fast. Though test with the slower 50-200 seemed promising. Not blazing quick, but fast enough for stationary objects in good light.

3. Tosh

Tosh Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2012
    Thanks, Jonathan.
    I don't have your experience with the M4/3 system, but I sorta got that sense from poking around.
    Probably just wishful thinking on my part.
    Maybe after the 75/1.8 comes out, we'll get a 125mm+ prime.

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    That's why slumming it with MF glass! I'm waiting for that 75 1.8 to come out before buying anything else!

• Like Like x 1
  5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Will it work? Yes.

Will it work 'well'? Folks I've shot with who've tried it say it takes 1-3 seconds to focus. And remember, no C-AF (tracking) at all on m4/3.

The 50-200 is supposed to be equally slow and the 50-200SWD is even slower.

IMO that speed AF is too slow for moving subjects and for static subjects a manual focus lens will do fine and cost a great deal less. If you need that reach and aperture, the Canon FD 135/2 can be had for <$500.

DH

6. Tosh

Tosh Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2012
    OUCH! That's really slooow.
    With that kind of AF speed, I'd be better off sticking with my MF Voigtlander 180 when I need to reach out and touch my subject.

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That would be my suggestion. 1 second isn't tragic, but depending on conditions it apparently can take significantly longer, and it's not going to work for anything that moves. Plus if it misses focus (not an infrequent occurrence), you'll be better off doing MF from the start.

DH