Anyone Try Mac's IOS 5 Yet?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Biro, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
  2. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    yeah it's ok. notifications is finally up to par with android. it seems laggier to me when opening up initially. it also drained my battery life a lot.i need to disable the icloud sync to make it back to normal.
  3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Yeah, using it on an iPhone 4s (so no updating needed), and ipad2 (no problem with the update). There are a number of little details that are nice. I think my favorite thing is that there's a little "reader" button near the top of any text intensive web page - you hit it and it opens the text in a really readable text window with adjustable type size. It's great for newspaper and magazine articles - makes the best mobile browser I've used that much better.

Haven't found any downsides to it yet. Upgraded Mac OS to Lion also, and have found a few minor dislikes with that, but nothing too serious - just some stuff to adapt to.

4. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    I'm having app compatibility issues on my iPhone 4. In fact, the mu43 app was one that kept crashing when I selected a subscribed thread. It was fixed with a patch today. I presume my other apps will be fixed in due course.
  5. ke7dbx

ke7dbx Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    I wont upgrade until there is a untethered jail brake for iPad 2. I like being jail broken.
  6. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Upgraded my ipad1 on the first day, easy enough. But the new firmware won't lock your device screen while syncing, so don't disconnect them after the upgrade.
    The only noticeable benefit for me is the notification. I rarely use other things like the cloud, imessage, etc. Revamped Safari and music player. Although the magazine rack is quite tempting :smile:
  7. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    No problem with my upgrade on iphone 4.
    I like the new notification thingy , and the camera lock screen plus
    the volume/shutter button.
    The rest i will never use.
    The new system for going to the camera is really not that much faster though.
  8. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Updated two iPads (an Ipad and an iPad2) and an iPhone 3Gs, no issues whatsoever. I like it. :smile:
  9. Wormwood

Wormwood Mu-43 Regular

Aug 17, 2011
    Sydney, Australia

Is your 3GS any slower, laggier due to the upgrade?

10. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010

There is a definite lag on starting up the phone and some apps now on my 3GS iPhone.
    Also most of my apps were missed by the upgrade process and I had to do a separate install for them afterwards.
    Otherwise quite nice.
  11. jumbotron

jumbotron Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    Ive upgraded all our iPhones and the iPad. Haven't noticed any extra drain or lag. The camera access from the lock screen us a great upgrade. Not digging the newsstand - Ill never use it and I can't bury it into a folder :-(. Reminders and message centre get a big thumbs up. My only headache is the photostream from iCloud. Seems really buggy.
  12. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Every once in a while if I tap on an app, there will be a split-second hesitation, and then it gets going. Nothing really noticeable, took me a while to confirm that it was really there. It doesn't happen all the time, I think its only a case of the processor doing something in the background at the time that I tap on the screen. The worst I've ever seen it was about a half-second hesitation, usually it's much more subtle than that.

Once that pause is over, the phone is just as fast as it was before, and since it doesn't happen all the time, I don't really notice it. So to answer your question - yes, there is a bit of a lag occasionally, but no, it doesn't affect the functionality of the phone in the slightest.
  13. creezalird

creezalird Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    sometimes my ip4g lags a little, but overall i'm plagued by the location bug which will drain my battery if i don't put my ip4g in aeroplane mode
  14. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

The upgrades seemed to take a very long time on one machine an extremely long time so best to have patience. Once installed the new system worked very well and I am happy with the new changes. All in all it the upgrade is worth the price and considering the price is free that is not saying much :smile:
  15. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Well, thanks for all of the feedback. I may just go ahead and upgrade my iPad 2 this weekend. My only concern right now is with potential app issues that at least some people seem to be experiencing. But I'm cool with having patience and letting the OS take its time installing.
  16. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Most of my apps have already upgraded to deal with any incompatibilities. I might still have one or two left that will run into problems, but I guess I don't use them often enough to have found out yet...

17. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Ashland, OR USA
    All of my apps are functioning fine on both my iPhone 4 and 1st generation iPad. But my wife's iPhone 4 has been experiencing phenomenal battery drain—it goes dead overnight if left on standby.

I've reset it to factory setup and reinstalled from backup, turned off all location services, reconfigured iCloud from scratch, and pretty much done everything I could think of or read about on Apple's discussion boards. So far, no joy. I'll keep trying new possible solutions, but I'm 300 miles away from the nearest Apple store, so I'm pretty much at the mercy of my limited trouble-shooting skills here.
  18. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    If the upgrade to iPhone 4 works fine then I have something wrong. It's slow as hell and is lagging all the time. I want my earlier OS back!!!
  19. Wormwood

Wormwood Mu-43 Regular

Aug 17, 2011
    Sydney, Australia

Have you killed your phones power and restarted it? Might help.

This is true for battery drain too - my 3gs went into a power drain cycle that only righted itself after a true off and on.

On the iPad 2 this works very well indeed. Now to talk myself out of the new phone.

20. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Tabbed browsing is a nice touch..still nothing too mindblowing. A very incremental upgrade imo.