Anyone try a tele extender/converter with Panasonic 100-300mm?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tosvus, Feb 19, 2014.

1. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014

I'm looking to have some occasional longer reach than what the Pana 100-300 can provide. I know there is no real teleconverter for m43 unfortunately, but was wondering if anyone have tried front-mounted solutions? Sony/Panasonic/Olympus all make ones that I would hope are at least decent, though with a front filter thread of 67mm, most of them are too small. Not sure if at the 300mm focal length, it could perhaps be ok to use step-down ring?

Any suggestions/sample pictures would be greatly appreciated!
  2. wushumr2

wushumr2 Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    Which camera are you using? The GH3 has the 2x ETC, correct? You'd have a 1200mm equivalent right there. I can't imagine that putting tele-extenders that aren't designed for the lens would work better than using the ETC, and I think using a step down ring in the front would also screw things up.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I dont think ive ever seen anyone use/talk about putting a front mount TC on the 100-300. Interesting option, but I wouldnt have high expectations for it. Vignetting might be an issue if you use a step-down ring. Did you have any particular TC in mind? Give us a link. It would still be better than the ETC I would imagine. That just crops the image like you would do in post processing.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. hoodlum

hoodlum Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    I tried the Nikon TC17ED on my 100-300 and I didn't like the results. AF was noticeably slower and I didn't see the benefit of the extra reach due to a softer image. The TC17ED is the best TC out there so I would recommend avoiding TCs with this lens.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. BobbyTan

BobbyTan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 26, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    Yes, DTC (as Olympus calls it) just crops your image in the camera which is no different to doing this in post - so you may as well crop it in post. It's not a good idea.

Olympus has filed a patent for their 1.4x TC which should work with their lenses such as the 40-150/2.8 and probably with the 300/4 and 75/1.8 as well. The 100-300 or 75-300 are both too slow to work with any TC.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Thanks Everyone!

In short order; ETC for video is great, and I use it! For stills, as mentioned, it is better to crop in post then.
    I will find some links for the ones I have in mind, though it sounds like the general consensus is that this is iffy. I will do that, and look some more as well. I may just end up buying one if nothing else for testing and documenting findings :)
    The patent for the 1.4x "proper" tc sounds very interesting! Hope it comes to fruition, and will work with the 100-300 (probably very slow AF or no AF), and the 35-100 (could be interesting to see how that + tc would work compared to 100-300 :)