Anyone Tried the NiSi Close Up Filter ?

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Looks like these have been out six months or so, fairly expensive as well currently AU$219.00
But they are a large diameter. From memory the large diameter Canon series was also expensive.
If they go on special they may be good for the Oly 40-150 pro?

https://nisifilters.com.au/product/nisi-close-up-lens-kit-nc-77mm-with-67-and-72mm-adaptors/

Never heard of "apochromatic" is that a typo - in last sentence of below quoted description.

---------------Below text copied from above page----------------------------

The NiSi Close Up Lens Kit NC 77mm (with 67 and 72mm adaptors) allows a telephoto lens to function as a macro lens with a large working distance. It’s compatible with zoom or prime lenses in the focal length range of 70-300mm (full frame equivalent). The close-up lens is the most effective way to achieve a closer minimal focal distance. The magnification achieved depends on the focal range of lenses, it will be higher with longer focal lengths. The magnification will be close to 1:1 when you focus at 200mm.

To use a close-up lens it is important to know the maximal and minimal distances at which you can focus because you will only be able to take a properly focused image within that range. The best working distance: 22-30cm. We recommend using the close-up lens on telephoto lenses with an aperture of f/8-f/16 to achieve the sharped details.

NiSi’s Close-up lens is made of double optical corrective glasses with apochromatic design and muti-nano coating to give advanced resolution and a natural colour with almost no purple/green fringing both within focus and in bokeh.

----------------------------End of Quote from external site link above----------------------------

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
It's to do with control of chromatic aberration.

An apochromat (APO) lens is corrected to bring red, green and blue wavelengths to the same point on the image plane when focused.

An achromat is corrected to bring two out of three to the same focal point (achromats are still very good).

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's to do with control of chromatic aberration.

An apochromat (APO) lens is corrected to bring red, green and blue wavelengths to the same point on the image plane when focused.

An achromat is corrected to bring two out of three to the same focal point (achromats are still very good).
I gather that means it is a littler better than an achromat, if that is the case it may help to explain the high cost.
But with my skills it may be hard to spot the difference. I will keep an eye out for a discount.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
In a camera lens, the main difference is that if you stop down an achromat, you are bringing all three wavelengths closer together - so chromatic aberration is reduced if you close down a couple of stops. In theory, you don't have to stop down an APO lens to get the better performance.

However, even APOs are sharper when stopped down a little, so there must be more going on than just CA!

However however - you can't stop a filter down, so maybe there's a benefit? I'd start saving and hope some bright spark does a definitive test. I like good quality filters and buy the best I can afford.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
An APO close-up filter is a fairly exotic beast - it looks like these were designed for shooting really skittish insects on a supertelephoto, where there are no dedicated macro lenses in the range (there usually aren't). With a supertelephoto, any optical defects you put on the front are greatly magnified, so this product makes some sense.

Last edited:
An APO close-up filter is a fairly exotic beast - it looks like these were designed for shooting really sluttish insects on a supertelephoto, where there are no dedicated macro lenses in the range (there usually aren't). With a supertelephoto, any optical defects you put on the front are greatly magnified, so this product makes some sense.
Isn't that a morality call and not based on scientific facts.

Sammyboy

m43 Pro
.... I've used my 62mm dia. Marumi APO close up lens on my PRO 40-150 and PRO 300 with excellent results, no vignetting, very sharp. I used step down rings, 62-72 and 62-77 .....

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
Never heard of "apochromatic" is that a typo
The simplest explanation would be someone in NiSi marketing decided, potentially by mistake, to misrepresent an achromat doublet close up lens as an apochromat. The most likely alternative would be the bit about double corrective glasses is trying to indicate something other than a two element optical formula. However, given the pricing, the thickness of the lens along the optical axis, and the presumably circa 300mm focal length I'd be really skeptical this is other than a 2/1 achromat with spherical elements of standard glasses unless measurement shows otherwise.

As comparisons, the two longest designated apochromats I'm aware of offhand are the Apo EL-Nikkor 210 f/5.6 and the AM*ED 210 f/5.6. Those are both eBay links and hence give pricing. I believe the minimum for apochromatic correction with spherical elements is an air spaced triplet (3/3 formula, Zeiss) but am not aware of anyone who makes one, though air spaced achromat doublets are available. If you're looking for a 77mm diameter ~300mm close up lens another comparison to make would be with the Marumi DHG Achromat 330, which has a street price of 450 AUD where I am. Marumi's moved their pricing up aggressively over the past few years but, from what I remember, their asking price used to be comparable to what NiSi wants.

We recommend using the close-up lens on telephoto lenses with an aperture of f/8-f/16 to achieve the sharped details.
It seems NiSi is suggesting this lens isn't well corrected for other aberrations. A 300mm close up lens with 77mm filter threads is probably close to f/4.2. However, the marketing copy indicates its optimum occurs when stopped down from behind to roughly f/11. NiSi is possibly hedging depth of field on the assumption focus bracketing won't be used, but f/11 is more consistent with an achromat doublet than with the corrections required for apo.

where there are no dedicated macro lenses in the range
Assuming NiSi's claim of 1x at 200mm working distance is correct (I suspect they're either rounding up on magnification or assuming an uncharacteristically low amount of focus breathing) the Canon 180mm and Nikon 200mm macros offer similar magnification at somewhat greater minimum working distance. Both are somewhat bigger, rather heavier, and quite a bit more expensive than a 300mm close up lens on 70-300ish f/4-5.6 though. Not sure if you meant native mount.

Marumi APO close up lens
[citation needed]

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom