Anyone tried the new 7Artisans 7.5mm m4/3

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Paul80, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Hi all

Anyone tried one of the new 7Artisans 7.5mm lenses.
    If yes what are they like.
    Not expecting much for £109 but it might be better than the other low cost option, the Olympus 9mm BCL
    Thanks.

2. genesimmons

genesimmons Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2017
    meike makes a very affordable 6mm fe. i have one on order on amazon. 200 canadian

3. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    I might be stating the obvious, but keep in mind the meike is a circular fisheye, and the 7 artisans is also designed to cover apsc. So the angle of view is going to be less than 180 on MFT.

Like many others, I have the Samyang/Rokinon which is pretty sharp. It's a safe choice if it ticks the boxes, and probably close to the others in price especially used.

4. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    The Samyang (which I own - in its Walimex Pro guise) is a very good lens - but two or three times more expensive than any of the more "fun" oriented lenses. That said, nothing against them in principle - just be prepared to get what you paid for. Even dirt cheap doesn't always mean priceworthy (unless you treat it as junk in the first place9 - whereas the Samyang is really quite impressive and certainly worth its still quite modest price.

So, I'd definitely recommend the Samyang - over the 9mm BCL, and probably the others as well. The Meike 6mm is different, though, in that it's circular. David Thorpe did a review on that one that you'll find on YouTube ... not my cup of tea, but it may appeal to others.

M.

5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Another vote from me for the Samyang 7.5 FE. Fantastic lens. Uber sharp. Great flare handling. Sun stars stopped down. Great contrast. Very affordable.

6. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    Hmmm... Maybe the price difference is greater than I thought, but I think used ones might occasionally be had for 200 US I thought.

Anyway if cheap is the goal there is also the 8mm c mount lens that is supposed to cover apsc. About $100 on eBay.

Although assuming the OP is specifically wanting info on the new lens I haven't been very helpful with either post.

It's probably just to early to hear a review on this lens from a relatively unknown company.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    A used Samyang 7.5mm 3.5 should be around $175 on eBay. Sometimes they sell for as low as $130, rarely over $200, though you may need to be patient and wait for an auction to get a particularly good price. Keep in mind the Samyang is also sold under other brands like Rokinon, if you search on eBay search "7.5mm 3.5" and you should see a number of choices.

I would pick up a used Samyang before a cheaper no-name lens, with the Samyang you know you're getting an excellent performer.

I would not bother putting an APS-C fisheye on an M43 camera either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. MarylandUSA

MarylandUSA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Paul Franklin Stregevsky
    For the same price, you can get a Michael lens 8 mm F 2.8 fisheye. I reviewed it. It's actually somewhat sharper than I gave it credit for. I discovered this after playing around with different focusing distances.

9. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    My 7artisan 7.5mm arrived from China, only took about a week and they accepted my sub £100 offer which included shipping, initial impression is its quite an impressive little lens and very well made, will post some comparison shots comparing it to a Optika 6.5mm when the Sun comes out to play, which it has not done for the whole of July so far.

Size comparison

Comparison of view to 12mm end of Panasonic 12-60mm kit lens

Opteka 6.5mm

7Artisans 7.5

Will take more images when the sun comes out, the 3 interior shots are all from the same tripod mounted camera position, I just changed the lenses without moving anything, as much as was possible.

Paul

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  10. JohnS2

JohnS2 New to Mu-43

Aug 8, 2017
    Detroit
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  11. EricRose

EricRose Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    The upper 12
    Eric Rose
  12. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  13. ibd

ibd Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. JohnS2

JohnS2 New to Mu-43

Aug 8, 2017
    Detroit
  15. Dziwaczka

Dziwaczka Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 20, 2016
    Never going to happen. Not enough backfocus. Only lenses that can be mounted on DSLRs have enough backfocus to replace the space occupied by the mirror with a speedbooster.