Anyone tried Gordys sling straps ?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Livnius, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Hi folks.

Been looking into purchasing a sling, the diagonal over the shoulder type. The Black Rapid slings with the appropriate adapters look quite useful but was hoping to find something a little more basic and simple in appearance. Just stumbled upon the Gordys leather sling which fits that bill.

I read Rays review and it sounds like it is fine...anybody else have anything to offer ?

I guess my main issues are:

Build quality.
    Do these guys use good quality materials that last.

Comfort.
    As it is only a thin leather strand, do you find it 'digs in' causing discomfort ? (...I would purchase with optional shoulder pad)

Function.
    Ray mentioned that the connector slides a little less smoothly than say the Black Rapid but not significantly so....just wondering does the strap slip and slide over the shoulder as you bring the camera up/down this requiring constant adjustment of both sling and shirt :)

Cheers guys, any input would be much appreciated....and Ray, great original post and feel free to add something here too.

If it's any help this the item I refer to:
    http://www.gordyscamerastraps.com/neck-sling/index.htm

2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Never seen one of those before (I've seen the wrist straps), but thanks for the heads up! I just ordered an Artisan & Artist copy cat strap for $70. The Gordy sling seems more practical and it is cheaper too. I have a Black Rapid, but it is a little overpowering (looks-wise) when combined with a small camera like all the m4/3's.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Thanks Armanius :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Joe,

I don't remember exactly what I said way back when, but to answer your questions:

Build quality - yeah, they use good stuff. If anything, they err on the side of sturdy...

Comfort - get the shoulder pad and its comfortable with anything I've ever tried hanging off of it. Without the shoulder pad, I'd imagine it could get to be a bit much with, say, a GH2 with a 100-300 or something on it. Generally not a problem without, but that much nicer with.

Function - it slides well enough. In terms of the strap staying put on your shoulder, if you HAVE the shoulder pad it takes a lot to make it slip (for me, maybe a problem if you wear silk shirts!). And if you DON'T have a shoulder pad, it doesn't matter if it slips because there's no top or bottom or front or back.

The one thing I'd say is be careful which connector you choose. I greatly prefer hanging the camera from the tripod socket when I use a sling strap, but Gordy's two choices for tripod attachments aren't great and I dont like how stiff and restricted they make the whole attachment area of the camera. So I got one of his basic string connectors and swapped a tripod piece from one of my other sling experiments (I think this one is from one of the Black Rapid Snap-R cases) and attach it this way, which makes the whole thing more flexible.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/6823846552/" title="P1000176 by ramboorider1, on Flickr">"640" height="640" alt="P1000176"></a>

Otherwise, a great strap...

-Ray

• Like Like x 2
  6. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Would it work better to hang it off one of the camera strap connectors instead of the tripod socket? Maybe the left hand side strap connector?

7. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    G'day Ray.

Thanks for the tip re: the tripod screw !
    The piece you have pictured certainly looks a more fluid option to Gordies version.

At the moment my heaviest set-up is the GX1 + PL25 so I should be good.

One final thing.....the string used in the connector, looks quite thin but I haven't read any complaints (I've read somewhere it has a 50lb snap rating ?!?!) so I imagine it too is a high quality dense fibre...do you feel confidence in it ?

Thanks again.

8. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Personal preference. Every time I've ever tried a sling strap that was connected to one of the strap lugs (tried left and right more than once), the camera hangs well but when I raise it up to shoot, the strap always seems to be in the way of SOMEthing. Whereas with a tripod mount, the strap just hangs straight down off the bottom of the camera, totally out of the way. So I only use sling straps with some sort of tripod mount.

BUT...

Other people use their slings attached to one of the strap lugs and seem to greatly prefer it that way. So I'm just telling you what works for me. And most sling strap makers do designe them around a tripod socket attachment point, so I don't think its JUST me. But its not the only option either...

-Ray

9. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Yeah, I do - its very tough. One caveat though - make sure the string is attached to something smooth and round-ish. I have other tripod connectors that I tried it with briefly that have somewhat sharper edges where the string wraps around them and those could eventually cut through it. It'll handle any amount of WEIGHT you want to throw at it, but it is cord and a sharp edge will fray it and eventually cut it.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

I had somewhat the same problem first with the R strap then coupling it to another one over each shoulder with the attachments to hold the camera on my chest....I have arthritis in the shoulders and neck and can't carry a camera around it so I purchased this....

and it works fine, I have a wrist strap on the camera (Gordys) and the camera has a base that slides into the object on the chest..very easy to remove for shooting and returning it to its

thhttp://www.cottoncarrier.com/home/contact-us/

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I bought a couple of Gordy straps. So I'll give an update on how they turn out. Unfortunately, as of now, I have not had any response from Gordy as to when my order will ship, even though he's got my $ already. So no feeling too good about the experience right now.

12. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I've gotten straps from Gordie before I've gotten email confirmations of the order. But he's never failed to come through, so I wouldn't sweat it. And the couple of times I needed to email him with questions, I've heard back pretty quickly.

The funny thing is I rarely use his straps anymore - got a few Luigi wrist and neck straps and they've kind of spoiled me for anything else. The Gordy straps are great and tough as nails, but there's just something about that soft Italian leather... But I'd never hesitate to recommend Gordy - he's a class act.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  13. EthanFrank

EthanFrank Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2011
    He's not the best with confirmations, but he's always answered my questions via email in 24 hours. Try shooting him a message to confirm the order. He's a good guy.

• Like Like x 1
  14. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Any advice on length? The lengths he suggests seem rather long.

15. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    A lot of it depends on the weight of the camera you plan on using it with. I am 6'3" and bought the longest he offers - 58" I think. It was perfect with an E-PL1 with a m43 lens (camera hit right at the hip), but would be a little long with a heavier legacy lens and too long with a DSLR.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    He finally replied and my order is on its way.

As for length, I like to wear straps as a sling, even for the ones not intended to be used as a sling. So I bought the adjustable one. I'm 5'11" and for wearing it sling style, I like about 54".

17. EthanFrank

EthanFrank Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2011
    I'm 5'7" and a 52" sling is working well for me.

18. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Re sling/glide straps, as a result of reading Ray's original thread I have made and tested a totally unreasonable number of them. Among the things learned:

1) Heavy hardware is a PITA. The chain link used by Gordy's looks like it would fall into that category. You might consider substituting a 3/4" or 1" key ring for the chain link. It will be much lighter. When I have used split rings with nylon straps I have had to smooth the rough ends with wet/dry paper to keep them from roughing up the nylon but I don't think with leather it will be an issue.

2) I have used 1" nylon and 3/4" leather straps with a G1 + 100-300mm and never felt that I needed a pad. The Gordy's strap looks like 1/2" so YMMV.

3) Re length I have found that adjustable length is important to me. In normal circumstances I hang the camera just below waist level where it naturally falls to hand. In rainy weather I shorten the strap and the camera lives under my waist-length jacket.

4) I connect to a strap lug not the tripod socket. The camera falls more easily to hand for me this way. Also, I have quick-release plates on my camera bodies, so connecting to the bottom of the camera would involve some screwing around.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Got my Gordy's "wrist strap" and the "horizontal adjustable lug mount neck strap." Here are my observations:

Pros:
    (1) Very sturdy construction; feels like it will not break and may last forever;
    (2) Fair pricing that includes shipping.

Cons:
    (1) The leather is too stiff and does not bend or flex enough;
    (2) The leather has rough 90 degree edges, and one side has a rough surface, and thus, not too pleasant to the skin;
    (3) Two opposite sides of the leather strap are not treated and bits and pieces of the leather rubs off, dropping black bits of debris on my clothing;
    (4) Because of the bulk and inflexibility of the leather, mounting the strap on the right lug of the camera gets in the way of the right hand that holds the camera making it ergonomically uncomfortable;
    (5) The neck pad is also made of a stiff leather and doesn't add much to make the strap more comfortable around the neck.

Perhaps the leather will soften up over time?

Overall opinion:
    I will likely never use the neck strap and will put it on sale. I may use the wrist strap, but I anticipate that the rubbing of the rough leather against my wrist will likely cause some rashes. I wanted to like the straps, because they look nice and are reasonably priced. Unfortunately, I can't recommend them.

20. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Thanks Armanius for sharing your experience.

Have you tried using your Artist & Artisan neck strap as a over the shoulder diagonal sling style strap ?

What are your impressions of the A&A ?

Cheers mate.

• Like Like x 1