Anyone tried [Animal Detect] AF on the G9 yet?

Slade

New to Mu-43
I had to go get the camera out because I couldn't remember how I did it lol.

Anyway, Menu/Set > Custom (the wrench with the "C") Operation > Fn Button Set > Setting Rec Mode

This brings up the little outline of the camera with all the FN buttons highlighted.
I put mine on FN5.

So: Fn5 > Menu/Set > Page 2 of 19 "AF-ON: Near Shift"

The thing that I found confusing, and still do, is that when I hit the assigned Fn button, it focuses without any indication that Near Shift is engaged. All I have to go on is the fact that it refused to focus on the intended subject several times until I hit the button, at which point it changed immediately.

Also, if I remember correctly, this particular function can only be assigned to a physical button, not one of the Fn "buttons" on the touchscreen. I noticed that when you go to assign functions, there are 19 pages available on the physical buttons and 17 pages on the touchscreen buttons.

Fantastic, thanks for that.

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Fantastic, thanks for that.
There's a MUCH faster method. Simply hold down the button you want to assign it to for a few secs and menu of function will pop up for you to change it. :)
This works with most of the customizable buttons on the camera including the 4 way D-pad and even the positions on the joystick.

However once its assigned u'll have to go into the menus to change the assignment since holding down the button is part of the near/far focus functionality.

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro

Anyway, Menu/Set > Custom (the wrench with the "C") Operation > Fn Button Set > Setting Rec Mode

This brings up the little outline of the camera with all the FN buttons highlighted.
I put mine on FN5.

Just hold down the function button you want to change for a few secs and a list of options will appear. No need to menu dive.

The thing that I found confusing, and still do, is that when I hit the assigned Fn button, it focuses without any indication that Near Shift is engaged. All I have to go on is the fact that it refused to focus on the intended subject several times until I hit the button, at which point it changed immediately.

Also, if I remember correctly, this particular function can only be assigned to a physical button, not one of the Fn "buttons" on the touchscreen. I noticed that when you go to assign functions, there are 19 pages available on the physical buttons and 17 pages on the touchscreen buttons.

I did some testing of this functionality to figure out how it worked but here is the way I think about it:

The Near button forces the camera to defocus from its current subject and search closer than its previous position.
The Far button forces the camera to defocus from its current subject and search further away from its previous position.

So basically the buttons nudge in the focus in one direction or the other. It's more or less doing what we did manually when it would lock onto the wrong subject either manually focus it past that object or even change our physical position to accomplish the same thing, but the effect is same we force it to lose focus and have it search in our desired direction.

In my tests I used 3 objects A -> B -> C with C being farthest.

Let's say I'm focused on A, if I press and hold AF-Far I see the camera focus further out until it finds and locks onto B. If I let go and press/hold again it goes out further until it finds C. If I press/hold it again it'll go even further out , not find anything and come back to C. AF-Near has the opposite effect; making it find B and then A as I do each press/hold. If I just do a quick press, letting go before it finds anything, it'll remain unfocused.

Just hold down the function button you want to change for a few secs and a list of options will appear. No need to menu dive.

I did some testing of this functionality to figure out how it worked but here is the way I think about it:

The Near button forces the camera to defocus from its current subject and search closer than its previous position.
The Far button forces the camera to defocus from its current subject and search further away from its previous position.

So basically the buttons nudge in the focus in one direction or the other. It's more or less doing what we did manually when it would lock onto the wrong subject either manually focus it past that object or even change our physical position to accomplish the same thing, but the effect is same we force it to lose focus and have it search in our desired direction.

Let's say I'm focused on A, if I press and hold AF-Far I see the camera focus further out until it finds and locks onto B. If I let go and press/hold again it goes out further until it finds C. If I press/hold it again it'll go even further out , not find anything and come back to C. AF-Near has the opposite effect; making it find B and then A as I do each press/hold. If I just do a quick press, letting go before it finds anything, it'll remain unfocused.

I forgot about the long-press on those buttons. Thanks for the reminder.
I find myself just poking through the menus just to see what's in there, so my usual MO is the long way lol

mcgillro

Mu-43 All-Pro

I put mine on FN5.

Thanks so much for that. I often think the G9 is too complicated for me :) I need to learn something new every week I reckon.

mcgillro

Mu-43 All-Pro

Thanks for the info.

mcgillro

Mu-43 All-Pro
So, another question. I can only see a few Fn buttons on the camera, do the others appear on the LCD somehow?

Thanks. And sorry if the questions seem basic, I am still very much learning the abilities of the G9. I find I tend to only earn what I need to, unless O want to try something new.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
So, another question. I can only see a few Fn buttons on the camera, do the others appear on the LCD somehow?

Thanks. And sorry if the questions seem basic, I am still very much learning the abilities of the G9. I find I tend to only earn what I need to, unless O want to try something new.
Yes, there is an fn button on the lower right edge of the touchscreen and when you tap it, it expands out to your additional fn buttons.

mcgillro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yes, there is an fn button on the lower right edge of the touchscreen and when you tap it, it expands out to your additional fn buttons.

Thank you. Bought a print cartridge today, and going to print all these pointers.

I really do appreciate it. Thanks again.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Thank you. Bought a print cartridge today, and going to print all these pointers.

I really do appreciate it. Thanks again.
You’re welcome. Honestly, there are so many buttons and levers on the G9 that o don’t even use the touchscreen for any fn buttons. I think I have some set, but I don’t ever go into that menu.

Medley

Mu-43 Regular
I was taking a few shots of my buddy, Bear, yesterday but the AF was choosing his nose most times. I was shooting at f2 with the Oly 45mm so the DOF was pretty shallow. Then I remembered the new Animal Detect feature in the new firmware; I haven’t tried it before now. I was pleased with the results, as was Bear.
oPmfs_2UXq1pQ?width=5184&height=3888&cropmode=none.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

bd-7wCSldnTfA?width=5184&height=3888&cropmode=none.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom