Anyone tried [Animal Detect] AF on the G9 yet?

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
they added it in the firmware update & I'm wondering how well it works

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
I downloaded the firmware yesterday??
From where? the latest firmware on the panasonic site is 1.3 released in July:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Anyone tried [Animal Detect] AF on the G9 yet?

they added it in the firmware update & I'm wondering how well it works
Firmware 2.0 for G9 is available November 19, 2019

With that said, I can't wait till the 19th so I can test it out. The G9 is also getting improved AF which is always a nice bonus and it's getting some serious video features making it more like the GH5.

paul macro

Mu-43 Regular
Firmware 2.0 for G9 is available November 19, 2019

With that said, I can't wait till the 19th so I can test it out. The G9 is also getting improved AF which is always a nice bonus and it's getting some serious video features making it more like the GH5.
where does it say improved af?

amp

Mu-43 Veteran
I don't want to highjack this thread, but was the AF that bad that it needed this update? Or is it making a good thing that much better? How is the AF overall?

I don't want to highjack this thread, but was the AF that bad that it needed this update? Or is it making a good thing that much better? How is the AF overall?
AF was fine before the update but the problem is that because the reviewers say that nothing is as good as Sony's af, it automatically means that anything that's not a Sony and especially MFT, has terrible AF.

I just went to mideivel times 2 weeks ago and used my g9 with an olympus lens 40-150mm and in crappy lighting it did a great job at tracking sets of burst shots where the horserider darted toward the camera and that was before the update.

Anyways, I updated the firmware yesterday and I noticed the C-AF in stills doesn't flutter as wildly as it did before. Now it's hardly noticeable and very subtle.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It will be good to see if the AF option to set it to concentrate on near or far in certain circumstances will be interesting. May help the tendency some find to focus behind the intended subject.
Also the focus peaking in SAF, does it help?

Even though I don't use this camera at present, I am keeping my eye on it as they go for a good price these days.

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
AF was fine before the update but the problem is that because the reviewers say that nothing is as good as Sony's af, it automatically means that anything that's not a Sony and especially MFT, has terrible AF.

I just went to mideivel times 2 weeks ago and used my g9 with an olympus lens 40-150mm and in crappy lighting it did a great job at tracking sets of burst shots where the horserider darted toward the camera and that was before the update.

Anyways, I updated the firmware yesterday and I noticed the C-AF in stills doesn't flutter as wildly as it did before. Now it's hardly noticeable and very subtle.
I would say that the af is "good" but not entirely reliable, meaning the caf flutter isn't an issue the majority of the time, but if you really need to nail a specific shot and you may not get a retake, don't count on it - try a different technique.

Looking forward to any improvements in caf.

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason
There's two different issues imo. One is that the C-AF isn't as good as Sony or Canon's dual pixel (or probably even Fuji's X-T3 eye detect now) in some situations. Nothing controversial about that. (I actually think for video, on a lot of samples I've seen, the Panasonic AF is much smoother and more cinematic than some other brands that find focus with a sudden snap).

The other is the constant flutter in the EVF that is somewhat unnerving at first and makes some people think it's never in focus, but it turns out that a lot of the time the stills photos ARE in focus. But even in sports I'm not a big user of C-AF. Heck, I shot Aussie rules footy for years with a K5 Pentax and it's rudimentary single AF.

The big advantage for my use is if you can rely on the camera to find the face/animal in a scene and grab focus without having to move the AF point.

Last edited:
I would say that the af is "good" but not entirely reliable, meaning the caf flutter isn't an issue the majority of the time,
I never said C-AF flutter was an issue. All I said was that the flutter isn't as noticeable as it was before.
but if you really need to nail a specific shot and you may not get a retake, don't count on it - try a different technique.
Not sure why you needed to throw half baked advice. As mentioned, I did just fine taking burst shots with my g9 with C-AF in low light, with an olympus lens and a fast moving object with a very high success rate, repeatedly - and that was before the 2.0 update. Read the comment you were responding to.

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
@toolcrazy I didn't say it was an issue for you. I have a G9, and it's an issue for me. I'm happy for you that it's good enough for you. As for me, my other camera has no flutter, and I am personally looking forward to caf improvements in the G9.

No, the G9 caf is not perfect and I'm glad Panasonic agrees with me.

@toolcrazy I didn't say it was an issue for you. I have a G9, and it's an issue for me. I'm happy for you that it's good enough for you. As for me, my other camera has no flutter, and I am personally looking forward to caf improvements in the G9.
:thumbup:
No, the G9 caf is not perfect and I'm glad Panasonic agrees with me.
Who said the G9 C-AF was perfect and what does Panasonic agree with you on? Just curious.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom