Anyone switching to Leica T?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by tkbslc, Apr 22, 2015.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Anyone as excited as I am to switch to Leica's new System T? I noticed B&H is starting to stock all their lenses.

Sure $1800 seems like a lot for an APS-C 18-56mm f3.5-5.6 kit zoom, but it's Leica, it's got be worth it, right?

And why shoot a fake Panasonic "Leica" 15mm f1.7 on m4/3 when you can shoot the real thing with their $1950 23mm f2?

$1950 each for f3.5-4.5 UWA and short telephotos? Absolute bargains!

Okay, Sarcasm over. I think I'll stick with m4/3 and my Pana-Leica, thank you! :)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Best of luck with this thread. Seems like you are asking for grief.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I can't believe I'm the only one that would find a $1800 kit zoom to be funny, but if so, I guess the thread can die quickly.

It's one thing to go on heritage and history and prestige with the Leica M system and justify astronomical prices that way. But to try to extend that to a newer, common consumer level mirrorless system is something I feel is worthy of a jab or two in fun.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    I shot with Leica M on both film and digital (M3 to M8). I also had their tri-elmar, Leica's historical attempt at a zoom, being three primes in one and was severely disappointed with it. I loved the feel of the glass but the M8 frame lines, IR problems and unreliability (both my M8s developed problems and had to go back to Germany) cured any delusions of continuing with Leica. Given all the Leica glass I had at the time my bank balance breathed a sigh of relief as I sold it all off again. While Leica knows how to build great glass, in reality it didn't make enough of a difference to me to justify owning it. It's that last 0.01% that I can now happily live without.

More than that - I'm not going to be buying any more variable aperture zoom lenses any time soon, especially at that price!
  5. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Ciaran Reilly
    The touch-centric control philosophy is interesting but by pricing it too high by a multiple of 5 the cool tech isn't Getting noticed or making any real impact on the market, pity