Anyone still using older GF series?

doogie

Mu-43 Regular
I've had a Lumix GF1/2/3 in the past. Loved the GF1, liked the GF2 as it was nice and small, want keen on the styling of the GF3.

Recently picked up a well used GF1 and brought back fond memories, but sold that on. Only just picked up a mint GF2 in red, although it looks slightly pink to me. The GF2 came with the 14mm pancake which suits it well.

My other cameras are an Olympus EPL6 and EPL7, but something about the build quality of those old Lumix bodies makes them a pleasure to use. Might make a good holiday camera.

Anyone still using old Lumix bodies?

Howi

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Howard
GF1 with 20mm super combination, still a very capable camera, and surprise surprise, it can still take photos. Most people would not be able to tell the difference with more up to date camera.
Emperor's new clothes and all that.

doogie

Mu-43 Regular
Nice to see people still using older but capable bodies, easy to get wrapped up in the latest and greatest, and not just taking great pictures

Of course newer cameras have their place where good high ISO output is needed.

Might keep the GF2 as a second camera.

spatulaboy

I'm not really here
Real Name
Vin
I had a GF2 briefly. It was a great little camera, perfect for times you don't want a bigger camera with you. I've been thinking about a GX1 to fill that spot.

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
Yes.

Took these shots the other day with the GF1 to explain to someone how the P20mm renders and the O45mm renders good OOF backgrounds for "head and shoulders" and how the 20 makes faces look different (and so why you'd use it over the 45 and vice versa)

28459923755_5c3f3888e9_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

27843320684_82313b8616_o.jpg

so sharp that the shirt gives a moire pattern

In all honesty the differences in the newer cameras just don't do it for me, so by living in the past I have gear that costs a fraction and gives good results. By it costing a fraction I also am less "worried" when I take it places.

... and remember when doing spec analysis that photography is not a "linear" thing but a "log" thing. So small increases are often curved out.

Meaning an apparent large increase in spec (on the X axis) gives very little movement in image quality on the Y axis

2000px-Binary_logarithm_plot_with_ticks.svg.png

doogie

Mu-43 Regular
I had a GF2 briefly. It was a great little camera, perfect for times you don't want a bigger camera with you. I've been thinking about a GX1 to fill that spot.

I had a silver/grey GX1 in mint condition, sold it when I got an Olympus EPL6. I still miss my GX1 and wouldn't mind another one, it was very solid and handling was perfect except fixed screen.

ripgriffith

Mu-43 Regular
Although my main camera is a GX7, my backup is a GF1 which, with a pancake 14-42, rides in my pocket whenever I'm out shooting. GX7 marginally better, but the GF1 holds its own.

Real Name
Andrew L
I started out with a GF3, which I feel is actually the weakest m4/3 sensor that has been made. Never did try the earliest 12mp sensors from Panasonic, though I've nearly bought a GF2 more than once.

I did use an EP1 for quite a while, fun camera with amazing build quality. Just too slow for me now that I'm spoiled by lightning fast cameras.

RichDesmond

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The GF1, despite it's limitations, is still my favorite camera. I've never bonded quite as well with any other piece of photographic equipment that I've used.

battleaxe

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I still have my GF3, but that's mostly being kept as my underwater camera(w/14mm) as I have a hard shell housing for that it that still is useable(though kind of fogs up a little). I prefer the controls on the GM1 oddly better, but do miss the better battery life of the GF3- the follies of going to a smaller camera.

stratokaster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Pavel

I recently picked up a GX1 to be my secondary/backup body, and this is a nice little camera! Very snappy, great build quality, great sharpness and color right out of the box. I'm very impressed. Current prices are insanely low for what you get.

I also used to have a GF2, it was my only m4/3 camera for a while, but GX1 is in another league entirely.

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
Not a GF user but my last 10 or so posts on the forum were all with the E-P1 which is arguably the 'worst' first-gen m43 camera - I actually loved the pics and doubt I would have gotten any better with one of my newer bodies for that type of shooting.

itami

New to Mu-43
My first m4/3 camera was a GF2 but I later acquired a used GF1. The GF1 is by far my most used camera (I was out using it only a coupe of days ago) even though I also have a G6 (and a Nikon DSLR). I love the solidity and controls of the GF1 and even though the G6 has way more features I don't find it quite as pleasurable to use.

The GF2 sees hardly any use nowadays although it's a nice compact and lightweight body. Shame the screens aren't very durable.

I might get a GX1 if I see a decent example for sale.

rocky

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Greg
I still use a GF-1 as my every day carry around camera. Usually has the P20 on it but I'm using the 12-32 compact zoom a lot. I still think the IQ is superb. Here are two from yesterday.
Jaqueline bw.jpg
Powell bw 1a.jpg

doogie

Mu-43 Regular
I've got a black GF1 and a red GF2 at the moment, both mint. Plus the LVF1 which I'm not keen on, been spoiled with my Olympus VF4.

Both are great cameras, GF2 is smaller and has full HD video, GF1 has better external controls.

Build quality on both is great, I had an Olympus EPL1 briefly which was like a toy, newer Oly models are much better made though.

I think they are ideal for holidays, or other times you don't want to risk an expensive body. A fast lens will help with the poor high ISO, if needed

grog

Mu-43 Rookie
I have a GF2 body that was donated to me by a friend because he thought he wouldn't be able to get much for it if he sold it. I liked the feel of the camera and think it would be great if it had an EVF attached. OOC pictures seem a bit flat though compared to other cameras from that era.

I still use a G3, mainly with the Panasonic 20mm. I briefly bought a GX7 and tried it out for a few days. While it did have slightly better pictures than the G3, I had some buyer's remorse and felt like it wasn't enough of an upgrade over the G3 to justify spending that much money on it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom