Anyone still using/enjoying an E-1?

ektar

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Don
Perhaps like some, an E-1 was my first DSLR. For all its simplicity compared to today, I still managed to get some nice images. Technically speaking, there's no reason to get another. But the thought occurred to me to hunt one up. The color rendition of the (Kodak?) CCD sensor is highly regarded, and I have the Oly adapter to use my OM lenses. So...anyone doing something similar?

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I haven't actually pressed the shutter button in a while, but my E-1 is currently in my car and ready to shoot just in case something comes up to photograph to/from work or something like that. Right now it has a ZD 12-60 SWD mounted on it. I was trying to find my old 4/3rds 40-150 (the older bigger, slightly faster aperture one) to throw in the car as well but can't locate it. It is around somewhere, I am just not sure what I did with it. OH typing this just made me remember where it might be! Thanks!

Anyway, the E-1 nearly silent shutter sound is still my favorite. The E-520 was actually my first dSLR, but then later I picked up the E-1 for really cheap. I also had an IR converted E-300, the E-3 (when my E-520 stopped working), and very briefly the E-30. The E-1 is the only one of those 4/3rds bodies I didn't sell (even the broken E-520 I sold as a parts body) 'cause I always thought it was a great for, as you mentioned, it simplicity to use & great colors. It is also built like a tank. Mine looks like it went through a war (I bought it that way) but never gives up shooting.

ektar

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Don
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Similar history: E-1, E-30 (briefly), E-510 for a travel kit with the smaller versions of the 14-42(?) and 40-150. The bigger 40-150 was close to the original 50-200 in IQ, but weighed a lot less. I had an E-3 IR converted. Had an E-5 that got way less use than it deserved. Sold it when I went to MFT.

Don't know there's a lot of point in adapting OMs to the E-1 when they do so nicely on OM-Ds...

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Don't know there's a lot of point in adapting OMs to the E-1 when they do so nicely on OM-Ds...
Ya I thought about the same thing and really legacy lenses work so much easier on m43 bodies with all the modern peaking and magnification tools on the EVF when manual focusing. The E-1 was was better than the E-5x0 models with the much bigger and brighter optical view finder, but in the end it is still an OVF and legacy lenses can still be a bit more hit or miss with no focusing aids like the old SLRs used to have like split screens. So when I do get an urge to use an old film lens, it goes on my E-M1 instead. I will just have fun using the old 40-150 (once I get home and verify that it is where I think it is) on the E-1 instead and leave the focusing to Oly. :thumbup:

Tilman Paulin

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yeah, I fell in love with the E1 five or six years ago (even picked up two spares over time :D They were quite cheap back then - prices seem to have gone up in the meantime... :( )

Still using it on overcast days (whenever the sun's not out and the scene contrast isn't too high) - although this year I just used it a few times... (but I generally took fewer pictures this year... That - and I acquired a Sigma DP3 Merrill that found a fair bit of use :) )

What I found is that the sensors can have developed quite a few hotpixels by now - but if you find one at a good price I'd still go for it!

When trying out the 40-150mm on it, I realized how spoiled I was by m43's IBIS 🙃
So I usually stick to the 14-54mm, 25mm, 50mm or 12-60mm...

Last edited:

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
When trying out the 40-150mm on it, I realized how spoiled I was by m43's IBIS 🙃
Ohhhh yaaaaa, I hadn't thought about that. When I locate the 40-150 (forgot to look in the spot I think it is) I will have to try it out at 150 and see just how dependent I have become on fantastic Oly IS.

AG-Schnozz

New to Mu-43
I am selective with what I shoot with it, but I do still use the E-1 on a regular basis. There are so few cameras that nail color and contrast so perfectly.

r8n

New to Mu-43
Bought a nice E-1 in 2017 basically on a whim. I stopped using my E-620 (never connected with it) but still had my FT lenses, 12-60 SWD and the 50mm f2.0 macro and thought to give them a go with the E-1.
What a gem of a camera, from the ergonomics, sound of shutter, and picture quality (within its limits). Still shoot with it semi regularly, got a 25mm f2.8 pancake for it which makes for a great walk around kit.
As for adapting OM lenses I think the OM-D bodies would do better.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I found my 40-150 4/3rds lens where I thought I had stashed it. I threw it onto the E-1 and WOW! As speculated above, the level of dependency and how much we take for granted these days our IBIS is huge. It is afternoon here in Massachusetts and kind of a gloomy day to begin with, but with the sun low in the sky now and lots of long shadows I struggled to get a non-blurry shot at 150mm when the shutter was at 1/80 which really drives home the old rule of thumb that without IS to reduce blur due to camera shake for the average person, I should have been shooting at 1/300. On my E-M1 I could shoot all day at 150mm, 1/80 of a second and have all my shots be blur free without thinking about it, let alone trying specifically to steady the camera.

When I first shot a few and reviewed in the tiny LCD they all looked blurry, I thought my lens must have something on the front element. Nope, clear. A little more trial and error being much more careful it was clearly the operator causing the blurry shots. Kind of an eye opener. Naturally I don't have any images to share since I was just testing things in the yard and most subjects not keepers (lacrosse net, tree trunk, leaves, my 12-60 SWD on a fence post, and other oh-so-exciting subjects).

Last edited:

Tilman Paulin

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It doesn't help that the 40-150mm is a fairly light lens neither... Definitely takes some practice/discipline to use this :)

But then, even when I pick up my D750 and eg the unstabilized 85mm, I have to make different decisions on exposure time&ISO than on m43...

I found my 40-150 4/3rds lens where I thought I had stashed it. I threw it onto the E-1 and WOW! As speculated above, the level of dependency and how much we take for granted these days our IBIS is huge. It is afternoon here in Massachusetts and kind of a gloomy day to begin with, but with the sun low in the sky now and lots of long shadows I struggled to get a non-blurry shot at 150mm when the shutter was at 1/80 which really drives home the old rule of thumb that without IS to reduce blur due to camera shake for the average person, I should have been shooting at 1/300. On my E-M1 I could shoot all day at 150mm, 1/80 of a second and have all my shots be blur free without thinking about it, let alone trying specifically to steady the camera.

When I first shot a few and reviewed in the tiny LCD they all looked blurry, I thought my lens must have something on the front element. Nope, clear. A little more trial and error being much more careful it was clearly the operator causing the blurry shots. Kind of an eye opener. Naturally I don't have any images to share since I was just testing things in the yard and most subjects not keepers (lacrosse net, tree trunk, leaves, my 12-60 SWD on a fence post, and other oh-so-exciting subjects).

Tilman Paulin

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Actually mine is the older faster aperture (f3.5-f4.5) one which is bigger at nearly twice the weight of the second slower (f4-f5.6) version Oly released (425g vs. 220g).
I think that's the version I had too - even at that weight it was difficult enough for me :D

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
Perhaps like some, an E-1 was my first DSLR. For all its simplicity compared to today, I still managed to get some nice images. Technically speaking, there's no reason to get another. But the thought occurred to me to hunt one up. The color rendition of the (Kodak?) CCD sensor is highly regarded, and I have the Oly adapter to use my OM lenses. So...anyone doing something similar?
OT, but 4/3. So forgive me...

Just recently got me two E-450, two 420, and an 410.The 450s (both just bodies) at about 300 (three hundred!) shutter actuations each.

One 420 and the 410 at circa 15k actuations (both bought for the dual kit lenses).
The last 420 (bought for the Zuiko pancake f:2.8/25 on it) at around 9.5k actuations.

Why? Well, they were cheap. Also never had a 4/3 camera before. The lowest actuation E-420 for my brother (with the 14-42 and the 40-150). The 410 is being sold off. I made my brother give it back in return for a 420.

Then we'll see about the 420 bodies. I'll have to trade the brother a 450 when I get rid of the 420 bodies. But no hurry.

Also a Minolta MD adapter and some M42 adapters from the friendly Chinese at Pixco Official Store on AliExpress. One M42 adapter for the brother. Dragging him down with me 😁

Last edited:

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
@Erich_H Erik, the E-510/410 had weaker AA filters than the 520/420. Worth considering.
I'm thinking we're going to be all 450 at the end of this. So probably getting rid of the two 420s and the 410. It's really just for the fun of it.

And to teach the brother what life with OVF and without IBIS is like. He's been spoilt using the E-PL1. Kids nowadays...

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
Btw, John. How's the AA filter on the 450?
The AA filter hasn't really been part of my equation until just now...

Sorry for asking, but it's simpler than googling, and you seem to have it down pat.

Also made some adding up. I'm up to about US400 for the lot. Coffee money, really.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom