Anyone shooting both 25mm C-mount and Panny 20/1.7

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Crdome, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    My favorite field lens is the Kodak Ektar Cine 25/1.4. I shoot low light in abandoned factories. Lately I've felt I need a little bit shorter lens for wider FOV and am contemplating the Panny 20/1.7. I'm not sure how much wider the view will be using that lens. The only comparison I have is a Cosmicar 22.5~90/1.5 but it vignets heavily <25mm. However, the Cosmicar's 2.5mm shorter length approximates my needs.

How does the 25mm FOV compare with 20/1.7? Is 5mm less worth the price?

-Chrome

2. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    I know it's been a few weeks since your post, but I recently acquired a 25mm C-mount lens in addition to my Panny 20/1.7. Here are some comparison shots, just for you. Bear in mind that your Kodak is likely be far superior to my unbranded CCTV lens!

I've paired each one up, so you can compare like with like. The wide apertures are like yours: f/1.7 for the Panasonic, and f/1.4 for the 25mm. If your browser has enough space, they should appear paired side by side; if not, they will be arranged vertically. The 20mm photograph appears first in each pair.

Close focus, f/8:
    yNwRQl. YHdn7l.

Close focus, wide open:
    U1SfYl. wHgv0l.

Distant focus, f/8:
    Tudlwl. 2Up6Ll.

Distant focus, wide open:
    Ph8Eml. yioYol.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Brian. Thank you for shooting these for me. Panny's 5 fewer mm makes an enormous difference and it's really sharp. Your 25mm's close focused, wide open looks like it will provide you decent bokeh.

I'm still waiting for my Kodak's return from cleaning and lubricating. It is a fabulous piece of glass. At 60+/- years old, the focus and aperture rings were stiff beyond comprehension. That didn't stop me from using it for over 6 month.

Thank again.