Anyone shoot with two OM-D's at once?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by andrew00, Oct 21, 2012.

1. andrew00

andrew00 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2010

I like to shoot two cameras at once b/c I like to shoot constantly, with flash. Card write/flash recycle times are such that two are needed to keep up to a rhythmic pace - I like to create an almost hypnotic momentum, keeps the worries away, goes back to my film days.

I've been using a Nex-7, the problem with it though is it takes a while to write to the card and my preferred flash with that, the 43AM, is too big to use two at once.

I'm going to pick up an OM-D as I feel the camera's nice and small, the IQ, esp in skin tones seems excellent and the IBIS will help with the camera juggling. Plus you can get the FL-14 flash which is nice and tiny and/or wireless off camera flash.

I was wondering if anyone here shot with two cameras at once and if they had any experiences of it with the OM-D.

The camera, esp with flash, is small enough to juggle but from what I've tested so far is pretty heavy, not compared to the DSLR, but to Panasonic and their plastic bodies (heavy b/c it's durable I guess).
  2. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    I'm very interested to see a video clip of how fast you juggle them!
  3. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    get faster cards and get a better flash to recycle faster ?

not sure what you are taking that would need more than that especially talking about that flash ? if so why not just get some video setups or go to something like a D4 that has a larger buffer shoot jpg 170 buffer in fine ?

or shoot the OMD in jpg fast cards get a better flash and shoot it at 1/32 power or something and you should not be able to outrun it ?
  4. micz87

micz87 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    Are U using double-camera bracket or are You really dual-wield shooter? :D I would like to see it. Maybe it would better to buy huge flash like eg. Metz 58 AF-2 which will have really short recycle time when used on low power outputs (far more better than Olympus FL-36 or FL-50)...
  5. andrew00

andrew00 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2010
    Hehe I used to shoot with DSLR's once upon a time but found it was both very heavy but also that it was intimidating to the subject vs something small that could fade away and let me simply talk to people, helps them relax etc.

Then when actually shooting I found two cameras let me avoid having to wait for things that would be interrupting of the constancy of taking the photos.

Hence why the Sony has ultimately not lived up to par as it takes ages and I can't get a good small flash for it.

Also why the OM-D is interesting to me, the IBIS for dual welding and a small flash + skin tones.
  6. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Omd e-m5 with the fastest cards I can find with a couple 1/2 power'd sunpak 422d powered by two tr-pak modified with high capacity Nimh cells intended for RC car applications will keep up at 9fps. Sometimes one will be replaced with the bigger more powerful 622 for more light and still keep up. To the point that the flashes will melt if I am not careful. At full power I can probably keep up at 7 fps but its heat thats the problem.... flashes will melt even quicker. Fortunately 422s are cheap these days... I think I have 10 of them in my cabinet.
  7. sueifong

sueifong Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    I always wanted to shoot with two cameras at once. One in my right hand and one in my left hand. One with left eye and one with right eye. Can't wait for someone to take a picture of me doing that.
  8. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    Or both at the same time really close together?

9. ralfmouth

ralfmouth Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    I like the idea of two cameras to avoid changing lens. The E-PL5 is tiny, with the exact same image quality (same sensor, same firmware) as OM-D which is tempting. If you don't miss weather proofing you might consider two of those.
  10. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    I've been schlepping dual cameras for years. Started with twin EOS1's with a 550ex on each. Currently it's an E-M5 and an M9 on the other shoulder. Easy compared to dual DSLRs.

I don't know about your flash choices though. The FL14 takes an age to recycle. And you're still going to be limited by the flash recycle speed with remote flashes. You're probably best with a 600R on each camera.

What is the application you need this much speed?

11. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

All, we are confusing this thread. I do believe the OP intends on using two OMD's not for different lenses but to avoid disrupting the flow with the SD card I/O times and refresh times of the flash. In my mind, there are two possible solutions; two OMDs or improve flash and I/O times on a single OMD.

This is very different discussion from using two bodies to equip two different lenses or even two different but complementing bodies.

Whatever the reason, there are often two reasons for having two bodies:

1) Two bodies that compliment each other; Past example I have seen, Canon 1d-markXX for sports with a Canon 5D for full frame while still sharing lenses.
    2) Two bodies that are equipped with two commonly used primes; 24mm on one and 50mm on another.

For #2, it is almost always better to get identical cameras. Same batteries, same accessories, and most importantly, identical operation. You want to avoid the mental switching that is involved when switching between two different camera. Both #1 and #2 are solving different problems than what the OP is referring to.
  12. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    One of the system flashes like a Metz or Sunpak hammerhead + battery pack would be a much better option than 2 bodies, whether m43 or dslr.

You cannot switch cameras any faster than 1 fps, but there's lots of ways to have your flash refresh much faster than 1 fps.

I shoot with 2 even 3 bodies quite regularly, but what the op is suggesting just sounds too gimmicky.
  13. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    you could make a custom metal mount to host two E-M5s and use two remotes to quickly take photos with both cameras alternately while getting pretty similar point-of-views. The setting is quite a bit heavier but it's never too late to hit the gym... :p

plus you can make 3D movies using the same setup... two birds with one stone.
  14. smartwombat

smartwombat Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2012
    I just upgraded to faster UHS-1 memory cards on the OM-D, and I find it hard to fill the buffer.
    Only shooting for over 3 seconds at 8fps got close to the limit.

I don't see why using 2 bodies is an advantage.
    Unless like me you're shooting with different lenses attached on the two bodies.
  15. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Not two OM-Ds at the same time, but an OM-D and a GX1/now-G5 at the same time. It's the NY reload. The fastest lens change/card swap/battery swap/whatever on the planet is picking up a second camera that's already around your neck.

In the m4/3 world, I do think there is a benefit to having both an Olympus and a Panasonic body, although the ergos are somewhat different between the two. I find it works well. :smile: