1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone seen this article over at Luminous Landscape?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LisaO, May 3, 2012.

1. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Camera Design

The author sort of kicks M4/3 to the ground but I think he doesn't understand 21st century digital photography and would rather be in 1974 than 2012.

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    So much white text on black background with so little spacing... I honestly can't make it through. If you tell me it's a great article, I'll give it a harder try!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I am not sure it was worth the read...

4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    OK I sped read it.... and basically the guy is a waffling fool....he kinda misses the whole thing that micro 4/3 lenses are noticeably smaller than anything we have seen so far for canon/nikon/sony.

Also his whole rant against the OMD/faux pentaprism, viewfinder in the centre is just silly

Oh yeah and amin is right ... the page is hell to read

file under pompous rubbish

K

• Like Like x 1
  5. I tried to read most of it. Very wordy (obviously). The author does not like retrospective design cues (Fuji X cameras, Olympus OM-D), thinks that the m4/3 sensor is too small and the format won't survive and tries to prove that by saying that Canon just put an APS-C sensor in the G1X (which they didn't; the sensor is in fact remarkably close in size to the m4/3 sensor). Oh, and despite that, they actually think that Nikon was very clever by putting a sensor in the 1 series that is smaller again than Micro 4/3. Besides that oddity, they think that APS-C is "the shizzle" (I paraphrase) despite another very wordy paragraph complaining about the size of the lenses currently available for the Sony NEX.

I recommend skipping over the words and just looking at the very nice b&w images from a Leica M4 that are scattered through the article. BTW, I think the point of the article is that they want a modern digital alternative to the M4, but one that is not a rangefinder and contains all the latest mod cons. At least that's what I think all those words were trying to say :confused:

• Like Like x 2
  6. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Not surprisingly, the author is looking for a digital RF alternative to the M9. I actually agree with most of his points except for the expected demise of m43.

7. Switch

Switch Mu-43 Rookie

May 3, 2012
    "n. The camera itself has been radically transformed into a variety of digital formats, the definitions of which are still ongoing—EVIL, Mirrorless, Micro4/3, and Compact System Camera to name a few."

Three of those four examples mean the same thing, and the fourth is a subset of the other three...

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Towards the bottom, in arguing that m43 will disappear, one of his proof points is that even Canon has put an apsc sensor inside a G series camera. I think he should check his facts.

Edit - luckypenguin beat me to it.

9. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Amin, you could just skim down to the last few paragraphs at the end, that's where he put's down M4/3.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thanks, Lisa, I did it. Nic, thanks also for the summary :).

I have no idea what systems/formats are going to survive in the long run, but I think Micro 4/3 has as much of a chance as anything else. It's not as if there is a standard mirrorless APS-C mount shared by Sony/Fuji/Canon/Nikon - they're all doing their own thing.

11. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I Couldn't Do It Either

I skimmed a bit of it. Quite verbose. The guy is a camera snob. :cool:

12. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    What Nic says - confused...

13. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'm really not understanding his pronouncements on sensor size. He admits that m4/3 currently has an extensive system, but insists it must inevitably be replaced by another system (which he doesn't specify) with a larger APS-C sensor, based on some laughable economics (sensor costs are at most a minor portion of production costs) and an extremely loose notion of performance. Does he really think consumers are going to notice the difference between 13 and 14 EV DR or 1/2 stop noise at ISO 12k?

DH

14. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Just a heads up, LL's idiotic from-the-90s scheme is fixed by Reader mode on the iPad :) Fixes DPReview right up, too.

Consumers will notice. Not because they can notice or even understand the differences, but because every reviewer and magazine is loudly blaring it in every review. They're told to believe that the image quality on m4/3 doesn't quite stack up, and that even creates a confirmation bias which leads people to see differences that maybe don't actually exist -- or at least don't exist in their photos. Most consumers want all 12+ EV of DR even though they're shooting JPEG. They don't, can't understand what that means and what the implications are.

• Like Like x 1
  15. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    I'm pretty sure the writer never touch, and use any current mirrorless camera. The fact that he's working on camera that exist no more proven that his reference already obsolete. By the way it looks like I've read his book a long time ago when still in college....

16. 250swb

250swb Mu-43 Regular

I suspect three things, the first is that he hasn't used a recent m4/3 camera, he wrote the article before the E-M5 was released, and he decided that whatever he knew five or six years ago is still good for today.

Steve

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Too much verbal diarrhea! I'm guessing he's one of those meticulous and incredibly boring types. :rolleyes:

18. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    I agree with the author. M43's advantage is a wide breath of products and accessories.

M43 doesn't really have the size advantage that people here give it. The Nex7 is about the same size as my EPL1 and it includes an EVF. The lens choice is not there yet, but in a matter time, it'll get there.

Whether or not 4/3 will die out, you can't really say, 2/3 sensored cameras pretty much died out until Fuji brought it back for the X10 and related cameras.

As noted earlier gadget reviewers will rank size of sensor,

So in this case

Sony>Samsung>Sigma>Canon>Panasonic>Olympus>Nikon>Pentax

• Like Like x 1
  19. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Although the Nex lenses are a lot bigger and heavier, eg: Sony 50mm 1.8 vs Olympus 45mm 1.8 or Olympus 40-150mm vs Sony 55-210mm. The bodies are indeed just as small or smaller though and the only micro four thirds pocketable options are the smaller bodies (GF3, GF5, E-PM1, E-PL3) teamed with a pancake lens (14mm, 17mm, 20mm) which only covers a limited focal range. [The new Sigma lenses are a similar size for micro four thirds and Nex so either system is just as small with that combo].

However once you go above pancake size I don't think the larger lenses (Nex) matter that much as you are going to be using a bag of some sort anyway and both m4/3 and Nex are still a lot less bulky than a dslr. Lens choice is getting there (slowly) yes, but it's been a long wait for early adopters. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    If Canon makes an interchangeable version of their GX1 they will fully validate the mu-43 concept. They already have validated it to some extent with the GX1 itself.

I would love it if they joined mu-43 (unlikely) but coming out with a competitive sized format would help us by increasing the likelihood third-party lens manufacturers would make smaller lenses instead of just adding 4/3 mounts to larger ones.

• Like Like x 1