anyone 'regret' upgrading from E-M5II to E-M1II?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dwkdnvr, Nov 12, 2017 at 6:50 PM.

1. dwkdnvr

dwkdnvr Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Denver
    I have been using my E-M5II w/ fotodiox grip quite happily with the 12-40 for quite some time. Works well as a hiking kit aside from the inevitable too short/too long problem. With an upcoming trip to NZ looming (in Feb), I rented the 12-100 to eval as closer to an all-in-one solution and am now pretty sure it's going to replace the 12-40. It really is a pretty amazing lens.

The problem is that even with the fotodiox grip on the E-M5II, it doesn't handle nearly as well as the 12-40. I (stupidly, perhaps) went to the local camera shop and tried the E-M1II with the 12-100. What a fantastic combo. Granted, it was a short session but immediately felt great.

I now find myself considering the E-M1 II pretty seriously, despite being generally happy with the E-M5II. While the in-camera focus stacking, better hi-res mode (which I suspect I'll use a lot) and possibly better weather sealing are nice upgrades, many of the other advantages are things that I managed to convince myself that I wasn't too interested in.

Between selling existing gear (including an A7II which I never really connected with) and applying some existing budget I can swing it, but it would probably take away from lens budget. (might mean going with the Sigma 30 rather than the O25 Pro for example, and/or forgoing the P8-18)

So my questions are:
    - has anyone used the 12-100 with the E-m5II and gotten used to the weight? Did you change your technique? Other grip options?
    - for folks that have upgraded from the E-M5II to the E-M1II, does anyone wish they'd done things differently?

2. Susan G.

Susan G. Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 4, 2016
    I upgraded from the E-M5 to the E-M1 Mark II last July. The 12-100 Pro is my go-to all around lens. I am a fairly slight woman and this adds a lot of weight, but the trade-off is worth it! I have an across the body strap the works well. The built in IS in the lens is outstanding. Go for it! You can take a look at my photos at musinwithsusan.com.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I own an E-M5 II, E-M1 II, 12-100 PRO, and owned a 12-40 PRO so here are my thoughts:

The 12-100 PRO does not balance nicely on the E-M5 II, just because there isn't a lot to hold on to with regards to the grip. Maybe that's better with the grip you have, but for me with just an RRS plate, it's not something that's "enjoyable" to use.

The 12-100 on the E-M1 II is an absolute joy. Fantastic handling and balance, and if there is ever a single lens you need to do just about anything outdoors, the 12-100 is it. I like mine much more than my 12-40, primarily due to the extra reach, allowing me to consolidate my 2-lens kit (12-40 & 40-150) down to a single lens. For what I use the lens to shoot, the loss of a stop of aperture was worth the benefit (single lens, OIS). It's also unbelievable how well the lens performs wide-open.

The E-M1 II is a fantastic camera, and the 12-100 is a fantastic lens. I love my combo, and it's my "take everywhere" kit. I do still have my E-M5 II, but I tend to use it with smaller primes. As for upgrading from an E-M5 II, only you can decide whether it's worth it based on what you shoot. For me, with the better video, IBIS, hi-res, and burst shooting, it was a no-brainer, and I've been extremely happy with the camera.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    Went from an E-M5 to E-M1II, I have no regrets at all. I do like the look of the E-M5 over the E-M5II but the expanded capabilities on the E-M5II are something I have noted.

I don't have the 12-100, as I went to the E-M1II to intentionally go for adapted lenses on a Speedbooster myself.

5. djtaylor7

djtaylor7 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2013
    David Taylor
    I only ever use my E-M5 II with the HLD-8 landscape grip, which I find is great. It looks bigger than the Fotodiox, and has the shutter in the forward position (just have the slight pain of taking it off to change battery). I use it with the 12-40 but do not have the 12-100. If you are not 100% decided on the E-M1 II, can you try the HLD-8 E-M5 II 12-100 combination at your local camera shop?
    Enjoy the trip: there are a few of us forum members in NZ.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. pondball

pondball Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

I have the oly grip on my em5mii... and have left it on pretty much every minute since I bought the body. My first lens was the 7-14/2.8 while I was waiting for my 12-100/4 to arrive. I have since procured a 25/1.2 and 40-150/2.8 here on the forum and while I would probably take my 12-100 on my next trip without hesitation, I’ve had no problems with any of the four lens on the em5mii... including the 40-150.yesterday I toted the 40-150 around for several hours, shooting our Remembrance Day ceremony in -4C weather. I used my Peak Design slider for that, but when I switched to the 25/1.2 I quickly flipped over to the Peak Design hand strap.

On my last trip to Portugal I had the 12-100 attached almost all the time, carrying it around using one or the other strap throughout the entire day for the entire 19day trip. Never had a problem...

At the profusion show last week I carried used my 25/1.2 only but got to hold it side by each with the em1mii... and was shocked at how similar they felt! I honestly thought that the em1mii was going to be both bigger and heavier... it was not as the extra oly grip on my em5mii made up for any weight or size differential.

I have tried the 12-100 and 40-150 very very briefly on my em5mii without the grip... and it quickly made its way back on... night and day!

• Like Like x 1
  7. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    I know you seem set on the 12-100, but one option to get more reach vs the 12-40 would be to get the new P12-60 f2.8-4 lens instead. That's what I did, because I was worried about the weight and size of the 12-100 and the 12-60 seemed like a good compromise. It is. In fact, the weight is almost the same as the 12-35, and the 12-60 actually weighs less than the 12-40.

8. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have the E-M5 II and E-M1 II. I also have the Olympus grip for the E-M5 II. I think the ergonomics of the E-M1 II with large lenses is fantastic, better than the Panasonic G5, G85, and, the E-M5 II with grip IMHO. I don't have the 12-100 but I have other large lenses which you can see in signature. My E-M5 II is probably going to be my carry with everywhere, in non camera bags, with a prime attached camera.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. dwkdnvr

Aug 8, 2012
    Denver
    Thanks for the feedback. Mostly along the lines of what I expected - few people seem to anything but thrilled with the E-M1.2

rather than quote, I'll hit some thoughts.

I probably should check out the HLD-8 before a final decision. The inconvenience of having to remove it to change the battery would be pretty significant, which would lead to the battery portion to avoid having to do so, which would seem to lead to a rather heavy kit. Still, if the option is spending an extra ~1200 it merits a look.

The 12-60 doesn't seem to offer much over my existing 12-40. The extra 20mm doesn't seem all that significant - certainly not enough to pay the significant premium to switch. Maybe I'm being a bit dismissive, but the value proposition of the 12-100 isn't just the reach - Sync IS, close focus, proven weather sealing, focus stacking make it (as Jim points out) pretty much the perfect outdoor lens.

Basically, this seems to come down to $$$, and to a degree what I envision my system usage being. If I stay with the E-M5 what would the $$$ for the E-M1 have gone towards, and would that be a more useful overall system (for me). At this point, I have to say that if for example I have to 'trade down' from the Oly pro lenses to say the Sigma 30 and 16 (pending reviews), that for my use it seems like a reasonable choice at the moment.

10. pondball

pondball Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

@dwkdnvr@dwkdnvr One of the things I swore I would do when I started into the mu-43 world was that I would pay attention to what some of my friends (both here and online) had told me... and that was to pick up the best glass I could afford. It is the reason I chose Oly as the Pro lens seemed to offer a far better bang for the buck than what I could afford in my old FF world.

I do not regret it at all and this past weekend shooting with both the 40-150/2.8 Pro and 25/1.2 Pro have been a delight. The investment in the 12-100/4 Pro for travel purposes was spot on. Would I get better photos if they were attached to the em1mii... maybe, maybe not! I do know that had I initially blown the majority of my budget on the em1mii it would have left me no wiggle room for the set of glass I now own... and when the price of the em1mii drops I will have the best of both worlds... body + glass.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. djtaylor7

djtaylor7 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2013
    David Taylor
    The other caveat regarding the P12-60 is that although it is weather sealed, is the sealing ring going to match the Olympus camera? I recall a thread that discussed this and that it was not standardised. Depends on how important that would be to you for a travel lens.

12. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    If fund is not an issue, go for EM1 mark II. The JPEG quality has some improvement. More cleaner and sharper at base ISO.

But if fund are the issue, Why don't you buy HLD-8? My friend using that grip with 12-100mm and it's improve the balance.

13. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Taking a step back, before we all convince @dwkdnvr@dwkdnvr to sell his E-M5 II and buy an E-M1 II, let's look at what he said in his OP:

I now find myself considering the E-M1 II pretty seriously, despite being generally happy with the E-M5II. While the in-camera focus stacking, better hi-res mode (which I suspect I'll use a lot) and possibly better weather sealing are nice upgrades, many of the other advantages are things that I managed to convince myself that I wasn't too interested in.
    OK, so the OP is pretty content with the E-M5 II, as he/she should be, since it's an excellent camera. Things that the OP said they liked about the E-M1 II are:
    • in-camera focus stacking - With FW 2.0, the E-M5 II received in-camera focus stacking, so you already have that feature on your existing camera. As for any differences in how it performs between the E-M5 II and E-M1 II, I can't speak to that, but the feature is present in the camera.
    • improved hi-res mode - Yes, the E-M1 II does feature a better hi-res mode with regards to artifacts. However, if you're a fan of the mode, that means you've probably already use it on the E-M5 II, so you should be able to go and look at those images to see if your images suffer from the artifacting present on the E-M5 II, or if those images were acceptable. If they were acceptable to you, then why go through the expense of "upgrading"?
    • weather sealing - The E-M5 II is dust/splash/freeze proof, just like the E-M1 II, so there likely aren't any differences when it comes to weather sealing. Olympus does not provide IP ratings, so it's difficult to tell just how sealed/proof the bodies truly are.
    • other improvements - While true there are small improvements made to the camera, I'm not certain they justify spending an additional $1,000+ over what you'll get for selling your E-M5 II. Yes, the features are nice, but I'm not certain they warrant the drastic increase in price.
    One other thing about the 12-100 is that it currently does not support focus stacking. So, if one of your main reasons for "upgrading" was to use focus stacking (which your camera already has) with the 12-100 (which doesn't support it), you'll be extremely disappointed. The 12-40 PRO does support focus stacking, and in fact has better magnification than the 12-100 does, so if pseudo-macro is what you're looking for, the 12-40 may still be the better option.

Honestly, given the list of items you'd be upgrading to get with the E-M1 II over your E-M5 II, I'm really not seeing it being a big deal. The E-M5 II already does 95% of what the E-M1 II does, and you can improve the handling by simply purchasing the HLD-8G for $130. That would honestly be my advised way to go, unless there's something that seriously doesn't work the way you need it to with the E-M5 II, which it doesn't sound like there is.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    Interesting thread, as I tested both E-M1 mk II and E-M5 mk II this week-end, and prefered the E-M5.
    In fact I always prefered the more compact gear I tested.

The E-M1 mk II is a fantastic body (even if I think the G9 is a little better in terms of handling, and operation because of the joystick).
    But if I had the 2 bodys (M1 & M5) I would almost always pick the E-M5 when goint out...
    (of course, if I was an action shooter I would pick the E-M1)

I made the exact opposite conclusion: accept to make some (small) compromise on optical quality to avoid getting huge lenses.
    It's a great thing that m43 allows both choices.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. dwkdnvr

Aug 8, 2012
    Denver
    Ok, wait just a cotton-pickin minute here - what exactly are you trying to do? SAVE ME MONEY?!?!?! Don't you know you can get thrown out of Photo Club for that? (first rule of Photo Club: don't talk about equivalence)

16. dwkdnvr

Aug 8, 2012
    Denver
    Apologies for not getting back to this thread for a bit.

To cut to the chase, I just got home from the LCS with the 12-100 and the HLD-8G. The Oly grip definitely seems to be an improvement over my fotodiox with the larger lens (and I think I even found a battery pack in the classifieds here to complete the set for a reasonable price) I haven't 100% ruled out an upgrade eventually, but the ~$1500 delta between what I could sell my E-M5 for and what I'd pay for an E-M1 even with the rebates is a significant amount, and spending it to upgrade from a body I'm basically happy with just doesn't seem like the wisest allocation of funds - particularly with a possible E-M5III coming in the next year or so. That would cover an 8-18, O25 pro or O45 Pro, or a 2nd E-M5II plus S30 and S16, or a speedbooster ultra plus Sigma 18-35 etc.

My glib response above aside, Ians post definitely captured the essence of things - thanks for taking the time for such a thoughtful response.

• Like Like x 2
  17. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Haha, everybody always LOVES to help someone else spend money. I just try to level everything out with a dose of realism is all.

18. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Nice. I think you'll be very happy with the 12-100. I know I love mine. The fact that it's an 8x zoom with a moderate f/4 aperture that performs as well as it does wide open is pretty crazy. The only downside in your situation is that it doesn't support in-camera focus stacking (but hopefully will with a future FW update). The grip was a good call IMO over an E-M1 II based on your OP.

Enjoy the new lens, and make sure to come share your shots with it over in the Showcase thread for that lens!

• Agree Agree x 1