Anyone print without post processing?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by RickVaughn, Oct 13, 2012.

1. RickVaughn

RickVaughn Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Just curiious as to how often you've grabbed some shots and just had to print them with little or no post processing first?
  2. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    That's one of the reasons I bought the E-M5: the OOC JPEGs are beautiful. I don't have much time to spend on PP. I only do it on certain occasions. Some shots, I just feel like spending time on; some others, I don't. When I don't but get prints, they still come out great. Actually, they often come out much better than when looking at them on a screen.
  3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    I call 'em 'refrigerator prints' - usually photos of the kids or grandkids that I've taken in .jpg and nearly always in "P"erfect mode, and I do it quite frequently when family is in town.

Makes the Princess of the Exchequer happy and more willing to fund gear purchases.

Make the photo (actually "take the snapshot"), transfer to the computer, quick print to 4x6. The only thing I might do to speed it up is bypass the computer and print directly off of the card using the printer's card interface, but since I would eventually move the files to the computer anyway I've not experimented with that.

What makes the Princess happy makes me happy. At least that's what she tells me :biggrin:.

• Like Like x 1
  4. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    In my house that's the "Minister of Finance."

On the topic though, 'vette has it more of less right for me as well. Snapshots of the kids, etc. The family photojournalism in essence. These go straight to the lab, get printed to 4x6 and are then memorialized in photo albums. Glad we are doing this too. Young as they are, the kids are starting to pull them out and peruse them.

5. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    If I'm spending money having something printed, I'm taking the time to make sure all is as I want it to be. Quick fridge-printing at home...probably not a big deal.
  6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Man, and I thought "P" was for Professional. I never get Perfect images, (why I only shoot RAW), I need to dial in P for Perfect.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If you're talking about "little processing", then that would be a majority. I'm careful to set up my shots and get them right out of the camera.

If you're talking about "no processing" whatsoever, then that's more doubtful. It does happen, and I've opened up many images in Photoshop only to inspect it and say, "Nope, that's perfect. No need to work on it - send it to print". Most likely if that happens in a shoot then many or most of the photos from that shoot will be like that as most of my shoots are consistent from start to finish.

However, the majority of shots need a little bit of tweaking in the levels at least. Maybe a 2% clip in dynamic range, a bit of a boost in exposure, a bit of dodging or burning. Classic darkroom stuff, but digital. The most amount of work I usually do is when the background needs a lot of cleaning up. The camera's screen never picks up on how clean the background is, like the computer's screen does. Of course that's just for studio shots... location shots never need any background cleanup.
  8. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    At the very minimum I have to crop to the best part of the frame, losing only trivial parts.
    The colours and quality from Olympus Jpegs are generally good for prints.
  9. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I don't print a lot but when I do it's usually larger size prints 11x14, 16x20 or 20x30. I PP Raw files in ACR upscale to 300dpi and smart sharpen 60% and check "print size" view on the screen. If you're paying $10/print or more to hang on your wall for years you'd better make sure it's perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App