Anyone Pre Ordering ON1 DeNoise

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Reply from On1:

Stevie (ON1)
Jul 29, 2021, 13:12 PDT
Hello,
Thank you for contacting ON1 Support.

After checking with our dev team, this is a known open issue. Lens correction will not be automatic in Lr/ACR for the DNG files we create.
We are working to address this in a future update.
I currently don't have any ETA.

Let us know if you need further assistance. Thanks for choosing and using ON1 Software!

Stevie | Tech Support & QA Engineer

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Perhaps it does apply the profile in the conversion. Found this in the manual:
Apply Lens Correction Automatically will use lens correction information automatically on any raw photo opened in ON1 NoNoise AI.

I don't care if I can see it in LR or PS as long as its applied.

If you can't see it in Lightroom/PS, you won't see it in Lightroom/PS exports either, so it's not applied.
For short focal lengths, it's really a big deal, as the non-corrected distorsion of Olympus/Panasonic lenses on these focal lengths are huge.

When I'll manage to have the program actually do something, I'll check.
"not being automatic" is not an issue if you can enable it manually, but the data has to be there, as Lightroom do not have profiles for m43 lenses for which the correction data is supposed to be embedded in the RAW file.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I wonder if when they said they apply it with the box checked it actually process that information and corrects it. I find an old 9-18 shoot and compare it. Also waiting for a explanation from On1. Will post my finds on the 9-18 soon.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
These might help you. This landscape was shot with the Gx85 and the Oly 9-18mm at 9mm. I had the apply box check in on1 NoNoise when I exported the DNG. I see no distortion and you'd think that the Oly 9-18 without the builtin corrections would have it. But anyway here they are for your inspection. All I did was to export them to JPG so I could upload them. First is raw, second is NoNoise. On my 4K monitor I don't see any difference (in quality, DNG is wider if fov), so perhaps they do apply the corrections. Click on them to see full size or download. Sorry I could not post the raw/DNG files.

From RAW
_1080811.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Fron NoNoise
_1080811_NoNoiseAI.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Thanks.
Clearly the distorsion correction is not applied.
(that's the kind of picture that doesn't need distorsion correction - it's even better without as you get a little bit more field of view)

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
So, it appears that it does apply the corrections but differently, here is the On1 answer:

Stevie (ON1)
Jul 30, 2021, 7:41 PDT
Hello,

Yes. It's a known issue with Lightroom/ACR but functions correctly in our app.

Let us know if you need further assistance. Thanks for choosing and using ON1 Software!
Stevie | Tech Support & QA Engineer

What I understand from on1 answer is that the correction works in on1 software, but not in adobe's.
so if the dng is processed with Adobe software, no optical correction.

To know if something is applied, it's easy, we just have to compare it with a software that can deactivate built in corrections. Lightroom can't.
I'll check it as soon as I can borrow my wife's macbook...

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have 2020 On1 and yes it does read the builtin lens corrections from the DNG from NoNoise. In the development section it selected ID Olympus for the lens correction and had a list of Oly lenses from which to select the specific lens. It is cropped exactly like the Photoshop one (just checked). And if you export the file from On1 it "bakes" the changes into the image. I just saved a PSD from On1 and both LR and PS brought in the corrected file, just not with the profile contained. So for files that need it until NoNoise is fixed that is what I will have to do. But it does seem that for most of my images I don't need the corrections.

Last edited:
OK. I have been able to really try the software on my macbook.
NoNoise is clearly not doing anything on my PC (maybe because of the lack of GPU?)

I made a quick comparison with DxO DeepPrime, with distorsion correction off (as it's clear that there are no optical correction in Lightroom for On1 DNG. I won't comment it more, considering that it will be fixed in a future version).
All exports in Linear DNG.

It's funny, as both programs are based on AI, they sometimes make completely different choices.
For instance, on one image, on the same wall, one part of the wall has more detail extraction with DxO, and another part of the wall (which seems similar) has more detail extraction with on1.

Apart from that, both programs do a very good job, I only used the default settings with on1, there was a little bit more noise reduction with on1 (a little more that what I'd want, but this is a user setting in NoNoise).

2 things that can be noted:

1) DxO maintains the color profile choice in Ligthroom. NoNoise AI does not.
On my Panasonic GM5 the files from On1 has exactly the same colors as with the "Adobe Standard" profile in Ligthroom.
On my Olympus bodies (E-M5.3 and E-M10), the files from On1 have noticeably different colors. They are not bad, just different (I can't match easily the RAW and DNG colors).
There also seems to be a vibrance or saturation boost in the images (I set all the settings to zero for the comparison, but images from On1 are very saturated).

2) When applying some strong shadow or highlight recovery, the images from DxO seems to respond better than On1.
Sometimes much better, there is some strange artifacts & color shifts in some images.
It may be linked to the saturation boost, and I cannot observe this on the test images I took from my GM5, only with E-M10 - E-M5.3
So it's probably a setting I badly choose somewhere in on1 software, or a bug. If I have the time, I'll make some more testing.

As I know quite well Photolab (I tried a *lot* of settings before finding the ones I prefer) and I'm just trying NoNoise, I won't conclude much from my trial because it's not completely fair :)
I was curious about NoNoise, and I'm sure that with a little more time experimenting on the settings, I'd find some that suits my taste.
I also now that the program is currently not something I'd use with Ligthroom because of the loss of the color profile choice.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom