Anyone Pre Ordering ON1 DeNoise

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Won't be using any of the major de-noise SW until the price of graphics cards comes down, from it's overblown prices.
I think that will be a LONG wait.

GBarrington

Mu-43 Top Veteran
As a Mac user, huge frustration with On1 not moving their apps to Universal code. With NoNoise did they use the opportunity to start doing Universal mode? Nope. With both Adobe and Phase One their apps gave better performance moved to Universal mode.
There is no magic wand in computer programming, and there is no universal code. There is an attempt at creating high level language called "UniLang" but it is still very much in the experimental stages. But it is also a VERY high level language.

Commercially, the closest thing to a universal language that can run on many platforms is "C". However, there are SO MANY incompatible flavors of "C", that while "C" experience of any sort makes one very employable, it doesn't mean it can be used as this mythical universal platform. Because Windows, the Mac, and Linux have very different kernels of machine language, each designed to make low level operations as efficient as possible.

Plus as a high level language, meaning there is a layer of intermediate code between it and the machine language to interpret "C" commands into the base level machine code. What may be efficient in Windows might not be efficient in the Mac and vice-versa. As a result, it is sometimes more efficient to code problematic sections directly in low level machine code, or try to figure out how trick C's lower level interpreter programs into using a different section of machine code.

All these differences need to be tested, remediated, and tested again and again until the differences are eliminated or at least reduce to the level of consumer acceptance.

Last edited:
RAW, ON1 even says that consider other formats in the development stage.
Ok.
Which RAW converter do you use?

With Ligthroom you lose the ability to have the optical correction, so it's a deal breaker for me.
(that plus the fact that there is ZERO noise correction currently on my computer - but on this, I hope there is something to do in order to make it work :) )

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I do my noise reduction first because On1 says debayering is where most noise and loss of detail occurs. My shots show this.

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It's a shorter wait time to just use the cpu.... :hiding:

According to the system requirements, of Topaz and ON1, both specify a min GPU and video memory.
In fact one of them specifically said the Intel GPU on my motherboard won't work.
I dunno, can they work without a GPU?

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
There is no magic wand in computer programming, and there is no universal code.
I think what @macasan was referring to was supporting the new Apple processor. Universal binaries have object code for both the M1 and Intel processors, but if there is no M1 code, the Intel code is interpreted on the M1 processor, which is obviously slower than running native code on the M1.

According to the system requirements, of Topaz and ON1, both specify a min GPU and video memory.
In fact one of them specifically said the Intel GPU on my motherboard won't work.
I use topaz without a dedicated video card on older i5. I just have the integrated graphics. It takes about a minute to minute and a half to process the photo.

I do my noise reduction first because On1 says debayering is where most noise and loss of detail occurs. My shots show this.
Yes, but this does not answer my question :)

What kind of file do you export with NoNoise and what software do you use for the rest of the process?
I'm using lightroom and I don't understand how to process correctly the dng from nonoise.
Ther is a color shift and no way to have the built-in optical correction anymore.

I'm used to pre-prepocess noisy files with DxO Photolab, which produce dng that I can fully include into a lightroom workflow.
I was trying to compare with NoNoise and I'm lost.

I don't know but if it is the case, an error message would be appreciated :)
I'll look if there is a function in the soft to check system specs.

There is this in the tech spec on their website:
OpenGL 3.3 compatible video card with 512 MB VRAM

But I don't even know how to check if this is ok or not. I guess it's not :)
(I totally lost interest in computer components these last few years.)

Having no correction applied without any message or warning is kind of surprising.

GBarrington

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think what @macasan was referring to was supporting the new Apple processor. Universal binaries have object code for both the M1 and Intel processors, but if there is no M1 code, the Intel code is interpreted on the M1 processor, which is obviously slower than running native code on the M1.

OK then. Well...never mind! :)

Lightroom knows how to read the file, but the color profile choice is gone, and the built in optical correction is not applied, nor available anymore.

It's important to have exactly the same color rendering for a Raw and a processed dng, as I don't want to preprocess all the files in a series.

Not only is it important to have "same color renderings" but it is just as important not to make wrong statements about products and how programs work especially on the net where " fake news is quickly spread.
It's not a wrong statement, it's just what I observe.
Colors of the resulting DNG are noticeably different from the colors of the initial RAW file when compared in Lightroom.
(with exactly the same settings of course)

And it's obvious that the built in correction is not applied.

Perhaps you should spend some time reading the LR manual. All you have to do to get the camera setting -including the built in M43 lens corrections- is to use the Developmental settings of "camera settings" on import of a DNG from On1 then goto the development tab and enable "Profile Corrections" where you will see the words under lens profile of "Built-in". Not only is it important to have "same color renderings" but it is just as important not to make wrong statements about products and how programs work especially on the net where " fake news is quickly spread.

Here are some screen captures of what I have in Lightroom with a DNG from NoNoise:
(profil manquant = missing profile / the second says is "unable to find the profile")

Attachments

• on1_profile.png
    on1_profile.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 9
  • on1_corrections.png
    on1_corrections.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 11
And here's what I have with a DNG coming from Photolab (as my goal was to compare NoNoise with DeepPrime noise reduction):

Attachments

• dxo_profile.png
    dxo_profile.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 11
For the optical corrections, built-in corrections are supposed to be shown like this:

Attachments

• std_corrections.png
    std_corrections.png
    6 KB · Views: 13
And here's what I have with a DNG coming from Photolab (as my goal was to compare NoNoise with DeepPrime noise reduction):
Sorry, I know it's a side note to the discussion here but I've always wondered if you do raw conversion in DXO or another program where you can get a DNG out if it would break being able to use the Huelight profiles in lightroom. Huelight color profile and being so accustomed to Lightroom are keys to why I never tried anything else. It's also why I've stuck with Topaz as a LR plugin to keep current workflow.

It looks like the Huelight profile is available in LR with a DNG out of PhotoLab. Did you ever notice any change in color when converting in one vs the other? Also on those DNG in LR, does the WB slider begin at 0 with +/- like it does with tiff or is it a Kelvin value as if it was converted in LR?

Sorry, I know it's a side note to the discussion here but I've always wondered if you do raw conversion in DXO or another program where you can get a DNG out if it would break being able to use the Huelight profiles in lightroom. Huelight color profile and being so accustomed to Lightroom are keys to why I never tried anything else. It's also why I've stuck with Topaz as a LR plugin to keep current workflow.

It looks like the Huelight profile is available in LR with a DNG out of PhotoLab. Did you ever notice any change in color when converting in one vs the other? Also on those DNG in LR, does the WB slider begin at 0 with +/- like it does with tiff or is it a Kelvin value as if it was converted in LR?

With a DNG from Photolab the colors are unchanged, and you can choose your color profile as with a regular RAW.
That's very important for me, because I use Huelight (now Color Fidelity) profiles 95% of the time, and I like the color rendering I get.

The WB slider works as with a RAW (this is also the case with NoNoise).

With a DNG from Photolab the colors are unchanged, and you can choose your color profile as with a regular RAW.
That's very important for me, because I use Huelight (now Color Fidelity) profiles 95% of the time, and I like the color rendering I get.

The WB slider works as with a RAW (this is also the case with NoNoise).
Thanks so much for this information!

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I owe you an apology. It is not working for me today after an update.
Also I have notified On1 about the issue, although so far the image detail to me looks very similar to processing in photoshop regrading lenses with/without correction. I am wondering if On1 applies the lens correction to the DNG file. I informed them that the DNG out of PS from RAW according to LR does have the Builtin Corrections.

Last edited:
There is a checkbox in the preference window to apply optical corrections, but it has no effect on my side.
(however, as nothing seems to be applied, that doesn't mean much :) )

I don't know if it would mean built-in corrections, or corrections from the lensfun database.

I'll try it on my macbook tomorrow, the windows version on my PC is very unstable (sometimes stuck in the edit mode - cannot "apply" the settings, sometimes it crashes).

14 days is very short to try so I need to go fast :)

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom