Anyone Pre Ordering ON1 DeNoise

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Received the $30.00 off email today and watched the video from the link
On my tablet I could not see the difference in the demo, anyone watch it on a calibrated screen or god screen to see it looked
I have been thinking about Topaz buft that is wont be as intergrated as well into ON1.

Any thoughts ?

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
That is what i am thinking. I watched the demo and could not see the changes as described.
I cant work out if the progressive sharpening is the same as the current progressive in 2021 version or a new tweaked version for the denoise.

From looking at the user photos that they processed it looks ok, but they may be fudged to exagerate the difference and the photographer would not commeng as they are getting a free version.

I was probably going to get topaz but will hold off since i have ON1, and it will be on special again even though they say the current deal is a once off.

What makes me worry is they dont seem confident enough to give it out to reviewers before release

I am hopeing it turns out to be good

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
I'm pretty sure there will be a demo version once it gets released and in addition ON1 will most likely run promotions in the future anyways. However I'm a DXO PL4 user, hence I don't really have a need for such a noise-reduction tool.

Besides I tried their ON1 RAW software back when it got released, they advertised it with some pretty big words and bold claims beforehand, however the final product was very lackluster to say the least....maybe it got better after a few versions, but the initial release, especially considering their marketing, was so disappointing, I was glad I didn't buy it even with the discounted introduction price.

GBarrington

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'm pretty sure there will be a demo version once it gets released and in addition ON1 will most likely run promotions in the future anyways. However I'm a DXO PL4 user, hence I don't really have a need for such a noise-reduction tool.

Besides I tried their ON1 RAW software back when it got released, they advertised it with some pretty big words and bold claims beforehand, however the final product was very lackluster to say the least....maybe it got better after a few versions, but the initial release, especially considering their marketing, was so disappointing, I was glad I didn't buy it even with the discounted introduction price.
Up till now, I haven't seen any reason to switch to On1. It wasn't AWFUL, but there was no compelling reason to switch away from what I'm using. Maybe this new version will offer something more compelling. I'm a software nerd, so I'm pretty sure I'll give it a go.

The speed claims that they are making are what interest me. So I'll have to see how the reviews and possibly a trial plays out.

I have and use Topaz, but the speed on my outdated machine is pretty slow, otherwise I think it's a great software as a plugin to lightroom. Since I still have a few months of free updates to Topaz I don't have a reason to look elsewhere yet.

Brian G

Mu-43 Veteran
I'm a user of Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, On1 Photo RAW, Topaz Denoise, Sharpen etc. AI, and some other plugins specific to PS use. I generally like On1 Photo RAW, and would occasionally recommend it as a good option for someone who prefers not to do Adobe products, and even in some instances even to some who do use PS or LR.
Until On1 makes trial downloads available, it's impossible to know how it will compare to Topaz or DXO, which have set some pretty high bars. On1 seems to be promoting it as a separate plugin, not necessarily integrated under the hood of On1 Photo RAW. It may still work seamlessly from a tab in the same way that the On1 user selects Develop, Effects, Portrait etc. This would be ideal if possible, at least from a user-convenience point of view.
On1 does allow some other plugins to be invoked from within Photo RAW 2021, for example some of the Topaz apps can work this way, however it's a bit clumsy as Photo RAW will only do it by saving the current file in one of only a couple of specific formats acceptable to the specific app, in effect exporting it to the Topaz app, thereby creating an additional file. In this way, it does still "round trip" a file to the app, and then back again for further editing in Photo RAW. Kludgey compared to just invoking the plugin from a layer within PS CC.
I'd wait and see, myself.

Brian

Dogbert62

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Patrick
I pinged ON1 and was told that the NoNoise module will not be integrated into their PhotoRaw editor at this time. My guess is that it will be integrated into next year’s version..

When I left LR, I picked the ON1 Photo Raw as my editor of choice. I still think it fits my workflow best so I am hoping their NoNoise module works well and gets integrated. I have purchased DXO PL4, Topaz DeNoise, and Topaz sharpen. I am still working through my sophomoric analysis but I think my flow will be DXO PL4 -> ON1. DXO for lens modules and noise suppression and ON1 for the rest. The only caveat is I am still learning long lens technique and the Topaz SharpenAI has impressed me. I’m guessing both On1 and DXO are, or will be, working on AI sharpening modules that fix camera shake..

regards
Dogbert62

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I pinged ON1 and was told that the NoNoise module will not be integrated into their PhotoRaw editor at this time. My guess is that it will be integrated into next year’s version..

When I left LR, I picked the ON1 Photo Raw as my editor of choice. I still think it fits my workflow best so I am hoping their NoNoise module works well and gets integrated. I have purchased DXO PL4, Topaz DeNoise, and Topaz sharpen. I am still working through my sophomoric analysis but I think my flow will be DXO PL4 -> ON1. DXO for lens modules and noise suppression and ON1 for the rest. The only caveat is I am still learning long lens technique and the Topaz SharpenAI has impressed me. I’m guessing both On1 and DXO are, or will be, working on AI sharpening modules that fix camera shake..

regards
Dogbert62
Thanks for checking that out. I was wondering why they did not show it's use via ON1.

That seals it for me now I will wait till it's intergrated, and often the first version needs some work as well.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I use On1 for lots of things within PS/LR, but I did spend the money on the discount for current owners. I live in Oregon and like to support local firms. I really want Adobe to do a AI noise reduction in their AI filters, but I do think that On1 is a viable option. I upgrade it every other year and will do so, but I think you will see a version of On1 with the NR AI and one without to keep the price lower, I would expect upgrade price to be like $50 and $75 or $80.

I've got so much invested (both in $ and time) in camera gear and astro gear (have lots of plugins for astro in PS , first used version 4 of PS) that PS/LR/On1 expenditures really don't mean much. Could it be a dog? I don't know but I like the ability to really tweek the results and thier examples are looking good with details retained. And yes they are making big claims, but $50 is a decent bet that it will be good to excellent. If I can get really good ISO 6400 stuff in less than perfect light I will be happy.

OldRadioGuy

Enthusiast Amateur
Real Name
Bob
I use On1 for lots of things within PS/LR, but I did spend the money on the discount for current owners. I live in Oregon and like to support local firms. I really want Adobe to do a AI noise reduction in their AI filters, but I do think that On1 is a viable option. I upgrade it every other year and will do so, but I think you will see a version of On1 with the NR AI and one without to keep the price lower, I would expect upgrade price to be like $50 and $75 or $80.

I've got so much invested (both in $ and time) in camera gear and astro gear (have lots of plugins for astro in PS , first used version 4 of PS) that PS/LR/On1 expenditures really don't mean much. Could it be a dog? I don't know but I like the ability to really tweek the results and thier examples are looking good with details retained. And yes they are making big claims, but $50 is a decent bet that it will be good to excellent. If I can get really good ISO 6400 stuff in less than perfect light I will be happy.
Like you, I took advantage of the pre-release offer and purchased ON1 NoNoise AI. I am looking forward to using it from release time later this month.

I tried it (14 days trial only...), didn't seem to work at all.
I have no difference in the before/after preview, I tried to move all the sliders, no change.

I tried to generate DNG for Ligthroom, but the color profile is lost, and so are the integrated optical corrections.
And there is more noise in the resulting DNG than in the RAW file.

Maybe my computer is too old to make this work.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Wow, works on mine. Take a look at my recent posts in birding....

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Never pre-order software. It's not like there will be limited availability. Unless of course there is a return policy when the software turns out to be bad, in that case it doesn't really matter.

Real Name
Angus

Agreed. I was an On1 user but moved back to Adobe CC a few years back.

Biggest frustration was they'd over promise and under deliver. Feature releases would be behind schedule and if they introduced a show stopping bug (which was frequently), it would take them weeks to fix it.

At least with Adobe, their large commercial/enterprise base means that if a critical bug does get out it gets fixed pretty quick.

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
As a Mac user, huge frustration with On1 not moving their apps to Universal code. With NoNoise did they use the opportunity to start doing Universal mode? Nope. With both Adobe and Phase One their apps gave better performance moved to Universal mode.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom