Anyone pre order the Panasonic GX-7

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by microfourthirdsnut, Aug 3, 2013.

1. microfourthirdsnut

microfourthirdsnut Mu-43 Regular

Oct 8, 2012
    So anyone here going to get the GX-7 and why. Will you sell your current camera?
    I just got the EP-5 it replaced my OM-D now the GX-7 EVF has me wondering should I try it. Build in EVF that maybe better than the EVF-4 has peaked my interest in the GX line again.
    I also know theres a new OM-D coming soon but small for me is good no EVF hump is also good.
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I am looking forward to seeing images and reading impressions from mu-43 users. I think it will be a great body, but since I already have an OM-D and they don't offer the black version in the US yet, I think I am safe from preorder impulse control (for now)!
  3. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I have per-ordered but it is far off enough we will have some good reviews and if there are any major issues I will gladly postpone the purchase.
  4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Not yet, considering it to replace/supplant my A65 when doing video work...
  5. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    I preordered it right away, and expect to sell my OMD promptly after receiving the GX7. the EVF without a hump was a big factor for me, WiFi is a nice perk, and lots of little other features look nice too.
  6. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I preordered it, but I am going to wait to see how production copies perform.

I think there are big advantages to having both Oly and Panny bodies. If this turns out to be at least the equivalent of the G6 in terms of IQ, I'll probably sell my G5 (which replaced a GX1) and replace it with the GX7.
  7. Braza

Braza Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    I think E-P5 is a great camera too.
  8. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I've preordered the silver version with the 20mm lens. It was only £180 extra for the 20mm and for that price I'd be hard pressed to find a mk1 20mm! I had the Panny G1, GX1 and G5 before switching to the EM-5. I'm looking forward to having a small focus area again!

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
  10. Kshiz

Kshiz Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2011
    I preordered. Still waiting on IQ tests and an eyes on of the new viewfinder. If all proves to be good I'll go through with the purchase and sell off my E-M5. As good as a camera the E-M5 is I still had more fun shooting with my GF1.
  11. Acliff

Acliff Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 21, 2011
    Southampton, UK
    I would like to preorder, but I will wait for it to be included in the Panasonic 3y warranty promotions that is fairly common in the uk.I remember that I bought my g3 not too long after they released it and got a 5y parts and labour warranty and a copy of Lightroom. Better long term security than a case I won't use and a spare battery.
  12. jpark1982

jpark1982 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 3, 2013
    I will be preordering it tomorrow. I'll most likely opt for the Black Version with the 20 pancake. I shoot with primes mostly and I saw that the MII of the pancake will sell for $430, so an additional $200 over the cost of the body only price from Canada will be worth it.

I just didn't realize that Panasonic announces their products that far in advance. I have a trip coming up in mid October and if the GX7 won't be out by then, I may have to get the EP-5 to hold me over until then.

I'll be selling my NEX-7 with 3 legacy glass. I'm going to try and shoot native AF lenses with the 4/3 system. After looking at various glass last night, I could put together a kit that will fit 95% of my needs.
  13. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I'm going to wait for the final product reviews. I went from the GF1 to the GX1 and will admit that I was a little sad that at baseline ISO the GF1 was cleaner. Don't get me wrong, the GX1 is better in every other way... but my GX1 is a bit grainy. It also doesn't help that I'll be going through a move shortly after it's release and don't want it to show up at my old address after I've moved.

So far though the GX7 ticks all the boxes except for weather sealing and remote flash control (which I haven't seen anything indicating it does or doesn't have it). I'm also curious to see how I'll feel about the evf sticking out off the back so much.
  14. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    I was thinking of getting a Fuji X100S as a portable "fun" camera (must say I like the leaf shutter and built in ND filter as well as the dials to control aperture and shutter speed directly). The GX7 is making me think again....
  15. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    I am going to sit this one out and wait for a weather sealed body. :)
  16. ihateggb

ihateggb Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    New Zealand
    I was in Osaka today and wandered into the Panasonic Center at Front Bay. They had both black and black/silver GX7 with 20mm 2nd version on display. Compared to EM5 which I've had for 15 months, the protruding eyecup won't cause much of an issue. It feels as solid, hefty and well built as EM5. Lack of thumb rest is okay because the grip at the front feels secure (I don't have a grip on my EM5).

The EVF is very good, obviously better than EM5 and seemed a bit better than EP5 with new EVF which I tried in nearby Yodobashi Umeda. GX7's autofocus was pretty quick indoors with the 20mm. I wasn't sure on how to test the IBIS.

Overall I'm quite impressed and would get the GX7 if I didn't have my EM5.
  17. jpark1982

jpark1982 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 3, 2013
    Thanks for the thoughts. I think this will make a great first camera for me in the 4/3 world and make me not miss the APS-C world. Any word on when it'll be released there?

Digital Camera World posted a quick preview and makes me like it. It shows some of the peaking features, auto focus, etc. all looks good.
    [ame=]Panasonic GX7 preview - YouTube[/ame]
  18. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    For me, this surely looks to be a landmark camera in our format... and likely to have as much impact on the format as the EM5 did when it appeared. While I will ultimately want an all black body, my eagerness to receive this new camera resulted in my pre ordering a silver/black body only.

Right now I have EM5, EP5, and EPL5. I can envision the GX7 replacing at least the EPL5 right off the bat, perhaps the EP5 as well.

I like having an integrated EVF. Even though the EPL5 and EP5 are excellent cameras, every time I attach the add-on EVF to either the EP5 or the EPL5 I am reminded of just how clunky and awkward that solution is. It will be great to have a rangefinder style body with great performance and a built-in EVF. The tilt feature on the EVF is something I would much appreciate as well.

This camera is likely to be quite a home run for Panasonic and the m4/3 system as well.
  19. Kshiz

Kshiz Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2011
    An admin at Four Thirds User has had a GX7 to play around with and confirmed that wireless flash works. This was something I wanted to know too.

Four Thirds User discussion forum - View Single Post - Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 hands-on preview
  20. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA