Anyone paying attention to the GF7?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by tkbslc, Feb 21, 2015.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Just noticed the GF7 were finally shipping (and are nearly out of stock on Amazon). Actually looks like a nice addition. Pretty much seems like a GM1 with a somewhat limited flip screen.,593

Does add just enough height (10mm) that it might be less likely to have lens overhang and adds a Fn button which could help a bit with control.

The price is $600 at launch for the 12-32 kit, which makes it the same price as a year old GM1 (that launched at $750).
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    That must be the ugliest u43 camera to date...
  3. e_kjellgren

e_kjellgren Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    How is the flip screen limited?
  4. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I can see this being in the usual Panasonic fire-sale within 9 months!
  5. tkbslc

Only flips up.
  6. tkbslc

Honestly, me too. Might be a nice second body and cheap way to pick up the 12-32 next holiday season.
  7. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    I guess I just don't understand what makes a camera ugly. It doesn't look ugly at all to me.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    i think they should have just released a gx7 successor and reduced the price of the gx7 to 600 usd. but then again, one of the main selling points of the gf7 is being a better selfie camera, which the current gx7 cannot provide..
  9. tkbslc

They have dropped the price that low on the GX7, actually. So oddly enough, the GF7, GX7, and GM1 are all $600 with kit zoom here in the U.S. and the top priced model is the GM5.

Very strange strategy.
  10. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Does anyone have any hopes for GF-n series after GF1? Really?
  11. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Because GX7 is 18 months old model, GF7 is the entry level cheapest model and GM5 is the newest.
  12. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I know that aesthetics is a completely subjective and deeply philosophical subject, but my problem with it is that faux "pentaprism". It looks like it's been bolted on as an afterthought ("hey, Mikami-san - this hinge sticks out and I don't know where to put the flash". "Don't worry Kenji-san, we'll just stick some plastic over it and it'll look OK"). The proportions of it are all wrong - too wide and flat, and the radius on the corners looks too big. The lack of any detailed features on it just accentuates its blandness. They could at least have moved the "Lumix" logo there. Then there's the "lid" on the top of it (I assume for the flash) - but again, it looks like an afterthought and not nicely integrated design-wise into the rest of it. Can you imagine Apple doing something like that?

Then there's those odd buttons with the collar/pedestal under them. Whoever thought of that? The worst example of buttons though is the movie button on the rear. It sticks out some distance (I assume to stop the screen fouling its use), but it looks like a turret with the end spliced off at an angle.

I'm sure it's a perfectly usable camera, but a design classic it aint!
  13. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    The GF-6 wasn't a bad camera - they've gone back to more physical controls, and if the touchscreen on the GF7 is as good as the GM1 you've got the best M43 sensor in a pocket sized body with good usability...
  14. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Any idea whether it's got a magnesium frame like the GM1 or whether it's plastic like the older GFs?
  15. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    I think the most important thing here is that Panasonic finally stopped cheaping out and started putting their best sensor in lower priced models like Olympus. Unfortunately , for us enthusiasts , they still insist on treating this line as a point and shoot amateur kind of line and , unlike Olympus, deprive it of hot shoe port to accommodate an EVF. That's the biggest downside to me.
    I have no problems with design . I like it a lot more than the previous Gf models starting with Gf3.
  16. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I think it looks quite pretty in black & silver,
    if you want a no-EVf-ever camera.
  17. pterosonus

pterosonus Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 17, 2014
    Cincinnati, Ohio USA
    To each his own on camera aesthetics. I've heard the GF7 derisively called 'Topcon looking'. My 1st camera was a Topcon RE Super (Super D in U.S.) and I thought it was ruggedly handsome looking in black or silver. I liked the low, flat pentaprism. I think I would have bought the GF7 instead of the GM1 if it had been available.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015