Anyone own an LX3 and an E-PL2?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by timallenphoto, Oct 25, 2011.

1. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    If so, how does the AF speed compare between the two? I have an E-P1 and AF speed really isn't great, I've just bought a used LX3 and the speed of the AF is noticeably quicker. I know the E-PL2 has faster AF than my Pen but not sure how much faster; if it was as quick as the LX3 I'd consider trading my Pen for one.

Any help appreciated!

2. According to your signature line you probably have the slowest focusing combination of camera and lenses in the m4/3 system. Neither lens will focus particularly fast on any body. You'd gain more by putting a 14-42 MkII on your E-P1 than putting your 14-41 MkI on an E-PL2.

3. timallenphoto

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    Ah right fair enough, I'll stick with what I have then. Thank you.

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Since moving from an EP1 to EPL2, I can say the EPL2 is noticeably faster than the EP1. Also, the shutter lag (which you might be confusing with AF) is also noticeable shorter. If you get an EPL2 w/ the 14-42 ii, it will be measureably and pleasurably faster than the EP1, though the EP3 (and the EPL3 and EPM1) are really the best.

I got an EPL2 + 14-42 ii for $300. At that price, it's worth the upgrade, IMO. The 20/1.7 will be faster on the EPL2 as well, because the shutter lag will be reduced, but it is still not the faster focusing lens.

I'd say if you can get a good deal, go for it. The EPL2 is also an improvement in many other areas, too (higher res LCD, some toys (like diorama art filter), and built in pop-up flash, and the VF2 port)

5. timallenphoto

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    All good points, thanks for taking the time. I'm also wondering how much the new GX1 will be as that should be a major leap forward on all counts including sensor. E-P3 is nice but the current price is way too high imo.

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Reading on 43rumors, the sensor on the GX1 is the same as the G3...

7. timallenphoto

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    I know, which makes it a leap forward from the Olympus surely?