Anyone move from EM5 II to EM1 III?

Tapper

Mu-43 Veteran
I have owned my EM5 II for over 5 years now, and am interested in possibly upgrading to the EM1 III. I often attach a Fotodiox metal grip when using larger lenses (I own 12-40 Pro and 40-150 Pro) so I think I would like the EM1 body design since it would be similar in size and weight but even more ergonomic.

To anyone who has done such a move, what has the experience been like? What differences and improvements have you noticed the most? Anything that surprised you that wasn't mentioned in reviews? Would love to hear your thoughts and experience with the new camera from an EM5 II user's perspective.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I've owned both the E-M5ii and the E-M1ii/iii. The E-M1ii/iii are much more capable cameras overall, esp if you are into higher performance AF or improved ergonomics for longer lenses. Having said that, the E-M5ii is a beautiful camera to handle and use. It's still one of my personal favourites in the OMD line. If you value compact then it's a better choice, but overall, I think the E-M1ii/ii are worth the extra cash and they will wider your shooting envelope. IQ is a bit better too, but not by a country mile.

BHead0392

New to Mu-43
I moved from an EM5.2 to an EM1.2 early this year and these were the improvements I noticed the most.

1.) Way improved video. Going from an extremely soft 1080P to a pretty sharp 4K alone was worth it for me.
2.) Fairly improved AF, especially with eye detect. I don't have any scientific numbers, but I definitely miss fewer shots of the kids running around.
3.) Much better ergonomics for larger lenses (12-40 in my case).
4.) A small bump in image quality/resolution. Just barely noticeable on my 5K iMac, not really noticeable on anything smaller.

Other stuff was negligible or unimportant to me.

The one thing I do miss.

1) The relatively small size with the 1.8 primes. I really loved going out with just the EM5.2 and the 17/1.8 for some night street shooting or the 45/1.8 to take some pictures of the kids at the park.

I'm happy with going with the EM1.2 over the EM1.3. I saved quite a bit of money and wouldn't really use any of the features of the new 1.3.

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Regular
I concur with what's been said. I, too, jumped from the EM5.2 to the EM1.2, and noticed the camera is quicker.

I don't regret the move. I like longer lenses so the size is helpful to me.

I think you need to decide for yourself, based on your style, needs and budget.
What are you not able to do with your current gear?

I'm tempted by the Live ND feature on the EM1.3 but figure it's not worth paying $1400 so I can have more unused gear at home.

algold

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alex
Don’t have em1 iii, but do have em5 ii and em1 ii.
Better ergonomics and better handling, especially with larger heavier lenses, better AF and generally faster response. Slightly better image quality, much better battery life.
Would love to have the AF joystick of the em1 iii and handheld high res mode.
Still the em5 ii is a beautiful little, but very solid camera, love them both.

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
I still have my EM5 MkII, probably because it is silver and looks so good with my silver Oly f1.8 lenses! Have shot with the EM1 mainly though for last 7 years because of the added features and the much better grip and ergonomics. 6 months ago upgraded to the EM1.3. Things that pop out at me right away:

~The joystick, just love this.
~Improved Eye Detect and C-AF autofocus. I do a lot of portraits and the eye detect on the EM1.3 is very, very good. CA-F is also very much improved, if you do any sports/action this alone is a reason to upgrade. OK…. so it is not up to my Nikon D500 and the almost 90% keeper rate I get, but it is close to 70% keeper rate and much improved over the <30% rate I was getting with my EM1/EM5 MkII.
~ Improved IBIS. Not that 3 stops or so was bad with the EM1/EM5 MkIII, but 7 stops is WAY better. I travel to Thailand with my Thai wife a lot and don't think I will every bring my travel tripod again.
~Hand held Hi Res. What can I say, it just works, again no longer a need for a tripod.
~Improved battery life, almost double. Been in some portrait day-long sessions and taken over 800 photos and still have battery life left. With EM1/EM5 MkII I would have gone thru at least 2 batteries.
~Twin card slots. I need these and won’t be without them every again, period.

@PhotoCal. I would not upgrade to the EM1.3 just for the live ND, as it has serious limitations. It is only up to a 5 stop filter and can only be used at very slow shutter speeds. At max 1/30 sec only the 2 stop filter can be chosen. It is mainly for slow shots of water, but where is the 10 stop ND? For my f1.2, f1.4 and f1.8 prime lenses I still need a screw on ND filter to shoot in bright daylight and not overexpose, and also for all flash work with sun where I need to get down to the 1/250ss flash sync speed. So it is a nice 1st iteration, but needs more work to be really usable. Let's just hope that the Olympus engineers who designed this came with the JIP acquisition.

Last edited:

betamax

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alan
I got into m43 because of the PEN line. I moved from an E-P5 to an E-M5ii and then to the E-M1ii a couple of years ago when it seemed that an E-M5iii was never going to happen. If you're comfortable shooting with the bigger lenses and grip on the E-M5ii, then you'll probably be happier with the E-M1iii. If you prefer to shoot without the grip, preferred the PENs, then you'd probably be better off with the E-M5iii.

The grip on my E-M5ii only came on when I was using the 40-150pro. I find the 12-40mm f2.8 ok without a grip, and the small plastic primes on an E-M5ii/iii, definitely without a grip, and I find using these smaller lenses on the E-M1ii a little 'awkward' as the grip feels like it's too big.

2 Years on, I still wish I'd waited one more year. I did upgrade for the 20MP sensor and much better AF, and the dual SD cards is nice to have (but most times the second SD slot isn't used). Regardless, I find the E-M5 more fun to use and as a result, I still use my E-M5ii more than twice as much as my E-M1ii.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Rather than "upgrade," I suggest getting an EM1-mk3 and KEEP your EM5.
That lets you use the EM1 as your primary camera, and when you want to use a smaller camera, you use the EM5.
I do this with my EM1 and EM10. EM1 is my primary camera, EM10 is my "compact" camera.

BTW, the EM1 was my first m4/3 camera. I got the EM10 specifically to have a small m4/3 camera.

Last edited:

Tapper

Mu-43 Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rather than "upgrade," I suggest getting an EM1-mk3 and KEEP your EM5.
That lets you use the EM1 as your primary camera, and when you want to use a smaller camera, you use the EM5.
I do this with my EM1 and EM10. EM1 is my primary camera, EM10 is my "compact" camera.

BTW, the EM1 was my first m4/3 camera. I got the EM10 specifically to have a small m4/3 camera.
I should not have written "upgrade." I fully intend on keeping my EM5 II if I get the EM1 III. :)

Thanks to all who provided feedback.

AaronE

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I am in the same boat. Have Pen-f and thinking for some reason I need the EM1 MKiii. Talk me out of it, no, wait, talk me into it.

Tapper

Mu-43 Veteran
What do y'all think would be a good price for the E-M1 Mark III? Would $999 be too cheap for this camera or would be the perfect price? Would be super close to the E-M5 Mark III.
I'd feel comfortable paying $1200 USD. $1400 makes me pause. Also would want a UHS II card for it, so that adds to the cost. And it's also kinda annoying they don't include the FL-LM3 with the mark III. It's a useful and unique little flash, and all previous models came with one in the box. So there's ~$50+ less value compared to other models.

Real Name
Deryck
I sold my Em10i to buy an Em1ii. The Em1 is technically a much better camera in everyway. My photography and photos improved .... but ... I really missed the size of the em10, just sticking on a 12-32 or small prime and going walkabout .... so when the em5iii was announced, I bought an Em5ii.

I find the em1ii to be a much better camera than the em5ii and if you get a em1iii you will as well.
However I use both cameras equally as much.

The ECG1 grip never came off my em10, I have the fotodiox grip for the em5 and never use it, preferring to use the Em1 instead.

When I want to shoot with my larger zoom lenses (PL 12-60, O75-300, PL 100-400) I go straight to the Em1.
When I want the small primes, I typically go with the em5, unless I really want better IQ, in which case the Em1 is used.

Get the Em1, you will notice the improvement and will enjoy it , but, if you can, hold onto the em5; its good to have both.

Tapper

Mu-43 Veteran
Get the Em1, you will notice the improvement and will enjoy it , but, if you can, hold onto the em5; its good to have both.
Thanks for your feedback. I'm pretty sure I will be getting an EM1 III, buy maybe not until next Spring. Unless there is a really good sale before then. Either way, I 100% am keeping my EM5 II. I still enjoy it and it's worth very little second-hand anyway.

I've also decided to sell my Fuji X100F in the buy/sell forum, so if that happens maybe I'll get an EM1 III sooner. :p

Last edited:

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Regular
Echoing it all, went from EM5ii to EM1ii for the continuous/tracking af. I'm incredibly happy with that alone. IQ is slightly better but not miles; cropping is considerably better though. Body is great with the bigger wildlife lenses and feels really nice with the 12-40/2.8. Put a pancake lens on it this weekend and almost felt silly.

I also kept the EM5ii for underwater purposes/the gf's body. Great to cover all of the focal lengths in two bodies vs swapping lenses in the field.

doxa750

Mu-43 Regular
For background, I switched from APCS to MFT with EM5 II a bit over 2 years ago. In May this year I bought EM1 III when Olympus made the first discount on the camera. I have been still using EM5 II as a second body and use it mostly with my smaller lens. I don't and never have issue using it with my bigger lens including 300m F4 w/or w/o MC14.

1. As many have said, no drastic improvement on IQ though it is noticeable. Larger file definitely helps with cropping.
2. C-AF is night and day between the two. I don't perceive significant different in S-AF. Face AF is also on another level - faster and more accurate.
3. ProCapture is a fantastic feature. It will depend on your photography style if you find it useful or not. For sure it helps making difficult tasks becomes very simple. So it makes me want to try more and try new things. Only draw back I have found so far is bunch of images to sort through :).
4. I love having HHHR a lot. I don't use it often but I have found it to be very satisfying to use knowing its limitation before hand. Also, knowing how to PP HHHR Raw file properly is essential to maximize IQ and sharpness.
5. I don't use Live ND and Starry Sky often, but they are so handy and cannot think of my next camera without them on top of HHHR and ProCapture.
6. As mentioned above, I don't have issue using EM5 II with the big lens, but EM1 III definitely helps me to be able to handle it longer and easier on a long hike for several hours.
7. Battery life is a big improvement and having in-body charge capability is very handy.
8. Video AF is way better. I love 120FPS (Slow MO) a lot. I hardly use it in Cinema 4K, but it is nice to have.
9. Added body weight is noticeable to me, but not as bad as I originally thought. I spent $899 for EM5 II so paying $1,599 for EM1 III feels like a steal to me.

A few things I expected to be a lot better but it isn't to me are IBIS and EVF. To be clear, IBIS is better perhaps I had too high of expectation. In fact, I prefer EM5 II EVF color and contrast better and have yet found faster frame rate of EM1 III EVF to help me nailing better BIF.

Anyhow, I don't think you will disappoint so long as you buy it at the price you feel right for you at that time.

Good luck!

Edited 11/18/20: Forgot to mention that the speed improvement is also night and day coming from EM5II to EM1 III.

Last edited:

Tapper

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks all for the feedback.

So, I finally gave in and ordered an EM1 III and a 64GB UHS-II card to maximize its speed. :cool: Should arrive Wednesday.

2 things pushed me over the edge: (1) I sold my Fuji X100F that I didn't use very often for a decent price, and (2) I discovered my EM5 II seriously needs a sensor cleaning (it has seen nearly 6 years of use) and it will take a week or two for the proper methanol based cleaning fluid to arrive. And I can't not have a decent camera with a clean sensor for 2 weeks. :p

On a more serious note, I was using imaging-resource's comparometer tool, and was legit impressed at the EM1 III high ISO performance compared to EM5 II. It seems nearly a full stop better what from I could tell (?!), and surprisingly competitive even with many APSC and some FF sensors through 3200 and sometimes even 6400. It seems only maybe a stop behind the Canon RP for example (admittedly a cheap camera with an old sensor design, but it's still a contemporary FF). Obviously the newest larger sensors kill it for high ISO, but it's not as limiting as many think. Not bad for a 4 years old M43 sensor - but still hoping for a JIP miracle and seeing an even better sensor someday inside an OMD. Until then, if/when it ever happens, I think the EM1 III will be very nice for me.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom