1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone move from 025 to PL25?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tkbslc, Feb 7, 2016.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have an Olympus 25mm that I am quite fond of. But I still wonder if I should have just got the PL25. I was going to get it and then I went for the O25mm based on price and have always kind of wondered if I did the right thing. I mostly shoot the 25mm at f1.8 as an indoor portrait lens, so I know I wouldn't mind another 2/3 stop of shutter speed and DOF control. But the 25mm hasn't let me down yet.

I hear a lot about the "rendering" of the Leica, too. I have the PL15 and PL45 Macro. The 15mm definitely has a little bit of extra mojo going on. The PL45mm I'm still on the fence about. It's a nice lens, but I don't think it is anything special.

I know there are threads comparing these lenses going back a little while, but I was just curious if anyone had specifically switched from one to other and could tell me if there is anything substantial in the upgrade for them.

2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    As far as shutter speeds and ISO goes, FWIW the PL25/1.4 is T1.7, whereas the P25/1.7 is T2. I don't know if anyone has tested the transmission on the 25/1.8, but I suspect it would end end up being more like 1/2 EV difference only.

3. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    I've used both and there isn't a huge difference between the two. I have the PL25, my wife has the O25. The Oly focuses a tad faster and I kind of like the build quality better. The PL25 has a slightly different character though. They're both great, but I wouldn't cry if I had to give up the panny.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

The only complaints I have about the Panny are the stupid, non-reversing hood and I wish it were a bit smaller/lighter.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I've had both, but went the other way around--sold the Panasonic and got the Olympus. First, they're both great lenses, and I think there's very little between them. As to the "rendering", I must have pretty poor eyes, because to me the only difference is related to the slightly wider aperture of the Panasonic. Sometimes I wonder if people would swoon less about that lens if if were simply a "Lumix" and not a "Panasonic/Leica".

The difference in size/weight, however, is not subjective, and is the reason I made the switch. However I put a higher premium on small size than most users, so you should probably try one out yourself to see how it feels.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    heh - wrong subforum :D

7. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Back in the days before the O25 I had the PL25 and the P20 at the same time and I sold the PL25 because I don't see much difference between the two with regards to sharpness and rendering for the kinds of images I like to make. The PL25 is a terrific lens but unless you really need that little extra bit of speed (and don't mind the extra bulk) I don't know that I would say it is worth it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    .... I too got rid of the p25 and kept the O25 .....

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Fixed, thanks for pointing it out.

10. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    I have not switched per say, but I have owned the 25/1.4 for a few years and purchased the 25/1.8 to compare (hoping I could shed a little bit of weight). I ended up keeping the 25/1.4, as I didn't feel the size/weight difference was enough to give up the slight bit of extra DOF control, and half stop in low light.

Personally, I found the rendering of both lenses extremely similar. So I wouldn't recommend swapping just for the look.

I've done some testing and found the difference to be in the 0.5-0.6EV range. So the transmission is a hair worse, but nowhere near as has been suggested other places (Robin Wong claimed it was only 1/3rd stop difference, but he didn't do any formal testing, simply looked at the auto exposure value (which will easily very by 1/3rd stop or more depending on any number of factors)).

At the end of the day both are fantastic lenses, and I wouldn't expect anyone to be blown away or disappointed by either the 25/1.4 or 25/1.8 if you already own the other.

Some other notable differences:
    1. The 25/1.8 focuses noticeably closer, but the 25/1.4 like most M43rds lenses can focus relatively closely (most of my DSLR lenses had significantly longer MFD that my M43 lenses)
    2. The 25/1.4 has a slightly narrower DOF, this plus the faster aperture helps blur the background a bit more than the 25/1.8
    3. The 25/1.4 makes a rattlesnake noise on Olympus bodies, unless you turn off flicker reduction
    4. The 25/1.8 focuses very fast on Olympus bodies, perhaps faster than the 25/1.4, but I've never noticed the 25/1.4 being slow to focus so it's hard to say

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Well I have zero complaints with the O25 and nobody has really even tried to make a case for "upgrading", so I guess I'll stay where I am. I will admit I've been kind of stuck inside and not able to do much photography lately. Browsing the sample forums can get your gear churn thoughts going when you haven't been shooting.

My 25mm gets me some pretty good stuff, so not sure why I wasted time thinking about it:

E_Cowgirl_Halloween. P1130958edit.

20751769036_021451a529_b. Untitled by The Wiki, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    @tkbslc@tkbslc yeah, those are great. I've been forcing myself to get outside and shoot with what I have lately. Keep the GAS at bay.

I really don't think there's a huge difference between the two lenses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    I have had both - twice! And am now sticking to the O25 for two simple reasons: Smaller and closer MFD. There was a subtle difference in quality and amount of blur in some kinds of shots with the right subject/object separation (numerous and long threads on this forum about this).

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. acnomad

acnomad Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 5, 2016
    Andy
    I agonized over the decision and very nearly stuck with the PL25. At the end of the day, the smaller size and weight of the O25 trumped the small speed advantage of the PL25, especially since my eye can barely perceive a difference between the IQ of the two lenses. With "perceive" being the key word, of course.