1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone miss their Olympus E-xxx

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by rnagoda, Dec 8, 2012.

1. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    Sorry if this thread already exists - I'm positive it would considering the nature of the forum, but couldn't find one.

I had an E-410. I hated it. Really - that camera and I were like two peas in two different galaxies.

But ....

I just spent some time editing old photos from 2008 or so, and came across some from the E-410, and (except for human error) this was such a good little camera! Great shots were readily available with this thing ... I'm half-tempted to pick one up for next to nothing one eBay, but then I'd be screwed with having to kit it out with lenses ...

Anyway - anyone else a latent Major 4/3 fan?

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnagoda/8254370833/" title="Catalina Highway by Robert Nagoda, on Flickr"> 8254370833_d1fa628024_c. "800" height="600" alt="Catalina Highway"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnagoda/8255443804/" title="Catalina Highway by Robert Nagoda, on Flickr"> 8255443804_cd18ac94e9_c. "800" height="600" alt="Catalina Highway"></a>

• Like Like x 1
  2. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

I still have an E5 and half a dozen 4/3 lenses, still very happy with the image quality I get compared to canikon. Olympus built some beautiful lenses for this system the 11-22 and 50-200 are among my favorites.
    My first 4/3 camera was an E -510 it produced beautiful files, better I think than the camera I replaced it with (E-620).

• Like Like x 1
  3. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    NO. Had several. Good cameras. No going back. Maybe.......:rolleyes:

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I had an E-410 and quickly upgraded to the E-420, which was my main camera for more than a year. There were only 2 things I liked about the camera, but they were enough: it was small, and I could mount the ZD 12-60 on it.

But I honestly don't miss it. Soft images due thanks to a strong AA filter. Very noisy above ISO 400. Banding at ISO 1600. Tiny VF. Impossible AF in low light. Uneven metering.

I'm happy m4/3 came along. Modulo the zoom lens selection, my E-M5 is better than the E-4x0 in every way. Drastically so in most.

EDIT: 2 favorites from the E-420

Summer 2008
    i-QxGCSwk-L.

Spring 2009
    P4230130-L.

5. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Had a 500. Loved the colors, hated that I couldn't shoot over 400iso. Moved onto the 620, loved the size (and being able to shoot around 1000iso), especially when coupled with a 25mm. Upgraded my lenses then moved to the e5. Sold the 620 cause it collected dust, sold the 25 since I had the 12-60. Bought more glass (7-14). Love doing landscapes with it...sold our xz-1 and bought the epm2 and 45mm. Still shoot the e5 and 7-14, 12-60, and 50-200...but I find myself grabbing the epm2 and 45 due to size and high iso capabilities. I really like shooting it with the fl36 attached to it.

Anyone want an e5 so I can upgrade to an omd. :rofl:

6. amalric

amalric  

Jul 24, 2012
    Rome. Italy
    Same reaction here. After several years my 410 files are still among the best. The fact hides that DR was limited so I had to throw away a lot, but other than that a lovely camera with a terrific signature.
    It goes to show that Oly has a consolidated experience, that applies to all cameras, not only the latest.
    Thanks for posting, it's nice to see that there are still photogs, that like challenges, not only consumers ready to kowtow to marketing.

7. I was a fan of parts of the 4/3 concept, but the cameras that I used (only the triple-digit bodies) were never polished enough to really love the way they worked. LCD quality, viewfinder, and menu graphics are some areas where they lagged noticeably behind their peers. What I did like was the output from PanaLeica 14-50mm f2.8-3.5 lens and the 10MP sensor in the E-410/510 (but not so much the E-420/520). The E-x10 sensor had some rough edges to it that made it a unique offering, especially when combined with a sharp lens like the PL 14-50. It really didn't matter to me that the high ISO performance wasn't very good, because it such a great sweet spot. I actually wish that this exact sensor had survived long enough to make it into at least one Micro 4/3 camera (the GF1 would have been the perfect candidate, I think). If that was the case I'd probably still keep one around for occasional use.

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    IMHO...
    There's something to be said about the Kodak CCD sensor image IQ in the early Four Thirds bodies :smile:

9. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Back in 2009 / 2010 ? I really fancied getting myself a camera having not had a decent camera for years and getting back into photography having been away since my teenage years
    I knew nothing about modern current cameras and plumped for an E420 because they were being touted as the worlds smallest DSLR and because Argos was doing a really good deal on them with the standard kit 14 - 45
    I really enjoyed being back into taking photos but having my baby daughter Molly decided that I needed a camera that also did video (having not realised that the E420 did not do video when I bought it)
    I discovered the link between 4/3rds and Micro 4/3rds and considered a PEN E-P1 at first but they didn't have a viewfinder
    Went into a Jessops store and bought a Nikon D3100 Christmas 2010 ? But then stumbled across the specs of the GH1 which was clearly better at video and apparently very good at stills too - so took the Nikon back (unused) and swapped it for a GH1 with a 14 - 140 !
    This was my introduction to Micro Four Thirds and I have never looked back or strayed since (despite an occasional DSLR purchase along the way which has been sold barely used or unused (Canon EOS1100D, Nikon D3100 again, Nikon D5100, Pentax K5)
    Ive now had almost all of the M4/3 bodies at some point and most of the time have had 3 on the go at any one time and all because of buying the E420 in the first place

10. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I have an E-1 which was the top of the line optical viewfinder model from Olympus back in 2003. Only 5 megapixels so the file size of even RAW files is not real big. Sharp, richly colorful images. Very simplified menu. I don't use it much because I am spoiled by the even crisper output of my E-PL1, plus the compact size and lightweight of the E-PL1.

From what I have read, the best E-xxx cameras for sharp image quality are the E-410 and E-510.

11. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    I knew there'd be some E-Volt alums here! :smile:

There's a few on e-Bay - I may just make a low bid and cross my fingers to see about getting one back. Worst case it'll be a camera I can hand to the next guy or gal who says their interested in giving photography a whirl ...

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnagoda/8251954760/" title="Caladesi Island by Robert Nagoda, on Flickr"> 8251954760_3ec2cd98f2_c. "800" height="600" alt="Caladesi Island"></a>

• Like Like x 1
  12. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    I kept my E-620 and stuck the 14-42 kit lens back on it as a backup camera, and one I keep at the office. The kit lens is pretty decent, and I found the sweet spot is much wider than the E-510 I had before (paid OM-D money for that thing!).

The ESP metering and DR are much better on the -620, along with incremental improvements in the AF. But oh how the viewfinder sucks!

Noise-wise, the 620 has major limitations, and the Auto gradation setting, while a good concept, is totally useless as it just cranks the shadow noise up to 11.

I always thought the ergonomics were pretty good, and now that I shoot with the E-PM2, the 620 is such a nice thing to hold.

Will keep it as there's really no value in selling it. In good light, it's pretty decent and will do everything in its power to protect highlights.

13. amalric

amalric  

Jul 24, 2012
    Rome. Italy
    I think the reason why the x10 cameras were loved by some is that they had the lowest AA filter, so even today detail is still good.

14. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I tend to hold on to everything, and keep using them.

E-1 (still strong), e-410 (a heroic and sharp camera), e-600 (superb features, superb colours.)

There are some rather nice SOOC pictures from them on this thread (and comparisons with newer stuff, including e-M5), in a forum where e-XXX cameras lurk;

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21324

15. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Find a used copy of a 25mm f2.8 to slap on it. You should be able to pick one up for 150

16. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance
    E420

My first "serious" camera was an E420, it was very light that's why i bought it, before going to hike in Iceland, the following year i did the Arctic circle trail in Greenland with it.
    I replaced it by an EP2 before going to hike in Patagonia to save some bulk and a little weight.
    But i hated the EP2 AF until i replaced the kit lens.

Now the EM5 would be a perfect hiking camera if i had a good weather proof zoom with it.

Last year i did a 14 days hike in Scotland, it wasnt fun switching betwen the 20/45/12 ( in order of use ) that i had brought, with the wind/rain/snow/sleet we had for most of the 10 first days.

Next year if i get in 2013 TGO ( i am on standby list ) i am hesitating a lot between :

12mm+25mm+60mm ( 3 lenses i own and like a lot but lens swapping again )
    12-35mm+60mm ( weatherproof less lens swapping , but i need to buy the 12-35 )
    MMF-3 + 4/3 12-60mm ( its heavy but the slow AF is ok for landscapes )

So even with the weight i am still hesitating bringing some 4/3 gear !!!

17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I just flipped back through the Lightroom catalogue for those the E-410 and E-420, and they captured a couple of the best years of my life. Very fond memories of both cameras and those years in my kids' lives.

18. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I shot and E-510 for 3 years or so and still love the files I got from it -- a good camera. but after getting my E-P2, I found myself using the DSLR only for shooting birds and insects using the 70-300 lens with its great close focus abilities.

After getting the E-M5, I sold the E-510 to concentrate on the smaller system. I still have the original (an big!) 70-300 I use with an adapter, and will probably get the accessory grip when I want the grippy, big DSLR experience with that 4/3 telephoto. I don't see myself going back to a DSLR; the E-M5 is about the size of my old OM-1 which was my SLR of yesteryear, so big and bulky was never my preference.

19. Edmunds

Edmunds Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    I put no less than 40,000 clicks on my E-410. I have taken it everywhere, including a trip around the world, safari in Tanzania, 3 month eurotrip and north of the polar circle in February at -40.

Can't say I miss it much though, tons of blurry pictures, crappy DR. I look through the pictures that came out well - and I have thousands of them, and I'm pretty happy, but then I think about all of those that didn't come out...

• Like Like x 1
  20. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    My E-30 with 14-54 was a killer!

Here's a shot @ ISO 3200...

8257568601_777e62272b_b.