1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone know of any M4/3 macro LEDs/Flashes?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by tanngrisnir3, Oct 26, 2012.

1. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    I've looked all over on Amazon, but almost everything there is, of course, Canikon-oriented.

Thanks!

2. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Just filter on Olympus and Panasonic. There are a number of flashes available from Olympus, Panasonic, Metz, Nissin, etc.

I just put in "flash Panasonic" and got several hits on the first page.

3. tanngrisnir3

Oct 18, 2011
    Yes, thanks, but I'm specifically looking for a ring unit for macro.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    With a macro ring flash, it's the macro lens you need to fit it to. Which lens are you using? It hardly matters what your camera system is, what's important for us to know is the lens.

This unit is made for Four-Thirds: Macro Flash Systems SRF-11 | OLYMPUS E-SYSTEM | Olympus Imaging Asia All flash communication (except wireless) is part of the Four-Thirds standard and is interchangeable across all Four-Thirds and Micro Four-Thirds bodies.

[​IMG]

However, that ring flash is made to fit lenses like the Zuiko Digital 50mm f/2 Macro (one of the sharpest lenses you'll ever encounter... ever) and the Zuiko Digital 35mm f/3.5 Macro. If you have another macro lens from another system, you'll need to find a ring flash that fits that lens... but don't worry about what brand it is or what system it's made for. Just use it in Manual mode and use a single-contact trigger, and you'll have no problems. Most can be triggered off radio.

If you're using the Leica 45mm f/2.8 Macro-Elmarit or the m.Zuiko 60mm f/2.8 Macro, then you probably won't find a ring flash made for them. You can use any smaller ring-flash (including the Oly SRF-11, which will allow TTL) but you'll just have to modify the mount yourself to fit. There's a million DIY fixes you could use.

The other option is to use a tele-macro lens (ie, like a 100mm, 150mm, or 300mm macro lens), and use regular speedlights. This is my preferred method, using a Kiron 105mm f/2.8 macro. I can use a complete light setup this way - lighting all angles and behind.

5. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    LED ones do not need to be camera specific as there is no synchronization. I have one that I use.

Olympus makes a ring flash (RF-11) for their E-series and I thought there was an adapter announced for the new 60mm macro.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Or there's also the Olympus LED Macro Arm Light (MAL-1) if you want to go the LED route. What makes it convenient is the fact that it powers off the camera instead of needing batteries. Personally though, LED lights don't have enough output for me... I prefer flash, and take advantage of the short duration to freeze my shot.

I have not kept up on these things, but if they make an RF-11 adapter for the m.Zuiko 60mm f/2.8 Macro, that would be a brilliant move! :D

7. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I recently purchased a Metz 15 MS-1 wireless "ring" flash. Take note that it is not a ring flash which would give you softer diffuse lighting but rather 2 flashes (one on either side). It's very compact and light (powered by 2 AAA batteries) and can be triggered by the clip-on flash.

Reports online say that it's also quite versatile and can serve for portraiture (to provide shadowless, even lighting looking images) up to an effective focal length of 50mm.

I haven't opened the package yet but will let you know once I've given it a whirl.

Amazon.com: metz ms-1

8. tanngrisnir3

Oct 18, 2011
  9. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    I have the meike brand and FWIW, it can handle macros well, although i havent used it for macro, but the LEDSs are okay for portraiture so i guess thats strong enough for macro work. Youll have to use it manually tho, and the flash comes with different filter thread adapters (the oly 40-150 has 58mm and it can be mounted on that) and you can use the flash as a continuous ring light, single flash, left flash, or right flash..... And its damn cheap

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

10. merosen

merosen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2012
    Somerville (Boston), MA
    Mark
    An adapter for the 60mm macro to SRF-11 ring light was announced but hasn't been released yet, at least I haven't been able to find it

11. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    I got one of these from Amazon for use on my Olympus 60mm f/2.8 macro. Seems to work as intended. I seem to remember there were many models and styles to choose from when I was shopping. Funny how different search criteria yields very different results, no?