1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone know of a rugged or hard side belt or shoulder bag?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by jc1234, Jul 16, 2010.

1. jc1234

jc1234  

Jul 16, 2010
    North Eastern PA
    Hello! I just ordered a samsung NX10, I know its not technically a 4/3 camera, but the size is pretty close. I do a lot of hiking on fairly extreme terrain around waterfalls and ice climbing areas. I need a case that is just big enough to hold a 4/3 without any extra accessories and can stay stable on my belt or shoulder. Id like something hard sided so if I slip and fall the camera is at least fairly well protected, but I'll take what I can get.

Any ideas of where to look. I havent found many options unless I go really big in which case they are just to hard to carry around.

2. Carol Stee

Carol Stee Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2010
    Get Domke

Consider the Domke F-5XA or the Domke F-5XB. They can be worn as either a belt or shoulder bag. They have an understated appearance doesn't attract attention to your expensive equipment; they don't look like a camera bag. They are made of durable, rugged cotton canvas that lasts forever. The shoulder strap is also cotton but rubberized so it won't fall off your shoulder easily. It's padded on the bottom and sides. The only hard side is the bottom so they conform to your body, making them comfortable to carry. They are available at amazon.com and other photo stores.

3. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    I personally have the "lowepro sliplock 10" pouch, it's lightly padded and it's a very snug fit for my camera and lens...

What you might also consider is lens pouches, I found that the ep-1 fits nicely into the small lowepro lens pouches and they're better padded than their pouches. Lowepro - Lens Case 1S

It would depend on the size of your lens though. It worked fine for me with a prime lens... but not all lenses are so compact.

If you want something seriously tough, you can look at pelican cases... but that's a whole other category of toughness and tote-ability Pelican cases

4. Satya

Satya Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 14, 2010
    Chicago
  5. Kata makes a W-92 and W-94 which are padded waist bags. The 94 is quite generous and comfortable(I use this with some of my DSLR gear). The 92 is smaller and might do you well, depending on the zoom lens you're intending to carry. Another waist bag that could work is the Inverse 100 AW by Lowepro.

6. DDG

DDG Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2010
    The idea of using a lens case is a good one. It's been hard to find something really small, yet will accomodate the front-to-back bulk of the E-PL1 with the lens attached, even though it's only about 3.5". That Lowepro case looks as if it might work, especially since the exterior is flat on one side.

Regarding hard cases, you may be able to fine a small hard-shell camcorder case to fit the NX10.

7. franklyspeaking

franklyspeaking Mu-43 Regular

Domke. So tough it will long outlast your cameras.