Anyone know how to get a pop-up flash fixed on EM10?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by agentlossing, Jul 19, 2015.

1. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    My EM10 suffered a drop a few months ago that damaged the shutter. It wasn't in warranty but Olympus US did an overhaul and fix for their standard flat fee... But they didn't do anything about the point of impact, right on the Viewfinder hump/pop-up flash. There's a large dent and it sits slightly crooked now, although it still locks in place. Has anyone ever had mostly cosmetic damage like this repaired? I'm not too afraid to try something myself, although cursory internet searches haven't led me to believe the replacement part is available. Probably I'll just have to live with it (and a camera that has next to no resale value on the used market now) but if it were easy and/or cheap, I'd get it fixed.

2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
  3. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    af831fd414006fc53c7c406258043aa9. dac4974e0da3d2c1cb7a0f97b7c72159.

Here's the issue. If there were a way to just replace the shell of the flash, it would be ideal.

4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sand off the other side to match? :biggrin:

5. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I expected much worst. If Oly did not replace the cover probably is not so easy or cheap. I'm still wondering why they did not fix it in the paid repair. Did you ask why? I have no idea if replacement parts are available, like for cars, I doubt.

Some putty/filler should do the trick but to do a perfect work is hard...

6. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Maybe you can find a cheap body on ebay "for parts only" and try to swap flash housings.

7. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Yeah, I also wonder why they didn't fix it, but I probably should've asked.

It's not that bad, kind of a cool war wound, but it sort of kills resale value. Not that I plan on getting rid of it, but my gear is rather... Fluid.

8. mossie

mossie Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2012
    It doesn't hurt to contact Olympus again and see if they will fix it for free

9. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Just for the record, I contacted Olympus repair via email and was instructed to send it back within the 3-month period following the warranty. It showed as "waiting for parts" for a couple of weeks, but my EM10 finally came back to me this afternoon with a new viewfinder hood and "accessory shoe" which apparently is what they call the VF hump (they have a more elegant name for it than I do ;) ).

Mt EM10 is back to nearly brand new looks! Thanks for recommending I look into sending it back in!

10. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    If that was the only thing wrong with my EM1 I would be estatic. My equipment gets beat to death (bouncing around in my kayak does not help). As long as it is functional and still weather sealed I could careless how it looks.

11. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    The only functional element I was worried about was the pop-up flash lock failing, I remember seeing a lot of store display DSLRs where that happened and it would definitely drive me nuts.

I just figured since I had to pay for the shutter to be fixed, it was a bit like salt in the wound to get the camera back without the physical damage being fixed. Fortunately, Olympus was easy to work with on this one.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I'd just leave it, it gives it that well used look ........