1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone know how to clean/lube this lens? Leitz Elmar 5cm 1:3,5

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by qball, Nov 22, 2010.

1. qball

qball Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2010
    Picked up one of these. The aperture is smooth. But the extension of the lens (pulling it out), isn't so smooth, and the focusing isn't so smooth.

Wondering how to clean/lube it?

Or is it best to send it off to someone that knows this type of lens well

2. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Not sure about lubing this but based on what I've seen in some of the other posts be very careful about using these types of collapsible lenses on a micro four thirds camera. Collapsing it while it is mounted could damage your camera's sensor. Others have taped their lenses so they can't be pushed back by accident when mounted on. Apologies if you knew this already.

3. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Why would that be? If it's adapted properly, then it should be same distance from the sensor as it was film in the original body. So unless it was designed to damage the film, then it shouldn't be able to push into the body enough to damage the sensor.

4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

FYI.... even on the Leica M9 and M8, certain collapsable M and LTM lenses cannot be collapsed safely.

5. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    It's not so much an issue of damaging your sensor (you're correct about that), but more of an issue of being able to collapse the lens into the body itself since it's not a full opening like on the original Leica M camera that it was designed to fit. You could certainly damage the electronic contacts, or even the shutter if it gets pushed far enough and you try to take a photo with it.

6. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    London
    Malcolm
    To answer the question regarding lubrication of the focus mechanism I have done the following with success.

1. Hold the base plate and move the focus tab until the threads of the helix are visible. (camera side of the lens)
    2. Clean the thread with a toothpick to get rid of the old cruddy grease
    3. Clean the threads with lighter fluid or WD40
    4. Re-grease with a light grease or vaselene
    5. Move the focus tab (in and out) many times until it is smooth
    6. Carefully clean the lens surfaces with a made for purpose cleaning solution remembering that these old lenses have soft glass
    7. Don't worry too much about light scratches that may be there from earlier cleaning this shouldn't affect the image too much (if at all)

Do not collapse the lens into a m4/3 body. Check my post on a preventative option.

https://www.mu-43.com/f40/collapsible-lenses-5491/

7. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Others are better equipped to provide a detailed technical answer, but as mentioned I did see posts elsewhere on this forum warning about this issue, which made me wary about using a similar lens I own from a Russian Zorki. FYI, here is an example from a post by Deirdre on Nov. 6 (caption says "note higbrow method for keeping the lens from collapsing into camera sensor"). On the other hand, there are a number of G1 users out there who appear to be able to collapse similar lenses when mounted on their camera. I guess it's down to specific lens type and camera body. I know I cannot collapse my Zorki when it is fitted onto my E-P1.

Attached Files: