Anyone juryrigged a tripod collar on the PL 50-200

Real Name
Joseph T Murphy IV
Dear Jens,

After checking pictures of the PL 50-200 there doesn't seem to be any way to mount my traditional non-manufacturer's tripod foot? I measure the OD of the lens barrel and if it has a suitable section where one could be used, I buy a knock off Canon or Nikon ring mount tripod foot. I buy one bit larger in diameter than needed and fit it with gaffer's tape wrapped around the lens barrel. I don't know why you couldn't mount a 140 or 200mm Arca-Swiss compatible lens plate on your camera and use that as a tripod foot? I don't know if you access to Amazon where you live, but a 200mm plate is $ 11.95 here in the United States. For that kind of money it would be worth a try to me.

Here is a link to the 200mm plate. Amazon.com : Fotasy 200mm Arca Swiss Plate, Quick Release Plate, Long Arca Type Plate, Tripod Quick Release Plate fits Arca-Swiss Universal Standard Clamp for DSLR Camera Lens Tripod Ballhead : Camera & Photo

Regards,

Tim Murphy
Harrisburg, PA :)

Last edited:

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I don't know why you couldn't mount a 140 or 200mm Arca-Swiss compatible lens plate on your camera and use that as a tripod foot? I don't know if you access to Amazon where you live, but a 200mm plate is $ 11.95 here in the United States. For that kind of money it would be worth a try to me.

Here is a link to the 200mm plate. Amazon.com : Fotasy 200mm Arca Swiss Plate, Quick Release Plate, Long Arca Type Plate, Tripod Quick Release Plate fits Arca-Swiss Universal Standard Clamp for DSLR Camera Lens Tripod Ballhead : Camera & Photo

Regards,

Tim Murphy
Is this a 2nd idea (from the idea of using tape to mount a ring mount tripod foot)? I am just having trouble understanding what you mean. I kind of like the idea of using that long plate you link to, but just mounting it on the camera, how would it serve as a support for the lens?

Real Name
Joseph T Murphy IV
Is this a 2nd idea (from the idea of using tape to mount a ring mount tripod foot)? I am just having trouble understanding what you mean. I kind of like the idea of using that long plate you link to, but just mounting it on the camera, how would it serve as a support for the lens?
Dear RAH,

Sorry I was worried that I might not have explained myself clearly enough so here is an example of a lens tripod collar with a better explanation. If you measure the outside diameter of the lens barrel and compare it to the inside diameter of collar you will find that exact matches are hard to come by. That problem is easily solved by buying a collar that is slightly larger than the lens barrel and building a base of gaffers tape or black electrical tape on the barrel to tighten up the fit. You may have to research the actual lens manufacturers website to confirm the diameter of the tripod collar.

If you can get close a bit of tape provides a secure fit. I've used this kind of set up on a Panasonic FZ200 with the teleconverter tube and Olympus B-300 and 1.7 TC's for years with no issues.

Fotodiox Tripod Mount Collar for Canon EOS EF USM Lens, 70-200mm 4L Lenses EOS-LENS-COLLAR-70200F4-P (adorama.com)

The lens itself doesn't need any support. At 635 g it is held securely with the camera lens mount and is designed for hand held shooting. I'm certain P/L would offer a tripod collar for this lens if the weight of the lens was an issue. If you want to mount the camera rig on a gimbal head you will need to do some adapting.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Last edited:

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Dear RAH,

Sorry I was worried that I might not have explained myself clearly enough so here is an example of a lens tripod collar with a better explanation. If you measure the outside diameter of the lens barrel and compare it to the inside diameter of collar you will find that exact matches are hard to come by. That problem is easily solved by buying a collar that is slightly larger than the lens barrel and building a base of gaffers tape or black electrical tape on the barrel to tighten up the fit. You may have to research the actual lens manufacturers website to confirm the diameter of the tripod collar.

If you can get close a bit of tape provides a secure fit. I've used this kind of set up on a Panasonic FZ200 with the teleconverter tube and Olympus B-300 and 1.7 TC's for years with no issues.

Fotodiox Tripod Mount Collar for Canon EOS EF USM Lens, 70-200mm 4L Lenses EOS-LENS-COLLAR-70200F4-P (adorama.com)

The lens itself doesn't need any support. At 635 g it is held securely with the camera lens mount and is designed for hand held shooting. I'm certain P/L would offer a tripod collar for this lens if the weight of the lens was an issue. If you want to mount the camera rig on a gimbal head you will need to do some adapting.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Tim Murphy

OK, I understand, and that Fotodiox collar looks very interesting (and inexpensive, like many Fotodiox things!). This is good to know especially for folks like myself with an E-M5.3, who worry some about mounting a heavy lens on their camera and then attaching the camera to a tripod, with that supposedly weak camera tripod hole. :)

Real Name
Joseph T Murphy IV
OK, I understand, and that Fotodiox collar looks very interesting (and inexpensive, like many Fotodiox things!). This is good to know especially for folks like myself with an E-M5.3, who worry some about mounting a heavy lens on their camera and then attaching the camera to a tripod, with that supposedly weak camera tripod hole. :)
Dear RAH,

I posted that Fotodiox collar only as an example. I have a couple of collars made by JJC that were only about $ 15.00 USD so it pays to shop around! ;-)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom